Wing Window Leaks
From my inspection of a removed wing window, it appears there are four possible leak paths. The frame seen edge-on looks something like this:
Three of the leak paths are shown in light blue, which assumes for two of the paths that the vinyl gasket has some hidden rips inside the frame. It also assumes that the "goop" between the panes has failed in one or more spots.
The fourth path is through the corner joint. The frame is in four pieces--the curved piece (which is one continuous extrusion for each part), which has an outside and inside part, and the straight edge, which also has an outside and inside. The two corner joints could possibly allow water to get in between the inside and outside frame pieces.
Attachment 105293 Attachment 105294
The above photos show the outside and inside of a corner joint. There is still a lot of crud on the frame from when it was removed.
You can see that the outside part is definitely a separate piece of metal, but even with the screws removed from the back, it wouldn't budge.
Thhis makes me think that it's possible the drawing above is slight in error, that the "outside" piece actually wraps around the two panes, and then is just retained in the "inside" frame by the screws. This would allow the window to be removed without removing the inside piece that's riveted to the shell.
If anyone has disassembled a wing window, can you confirm which drawing is correct?
These windows leak --- like a sieve. I've had up to three inches of water inside them. The problem is that three of the leak paths are improbable--they require at least three failures: the gasket contact with the frame, the goop, and the gasket inside the frame has to be ripped. I've sealed the outside edge of the glass and still had major leaks. Where the heck is it coming in?
May be doing this project soon.
Found a donor rig and get my two replacement wing windows for my '70 Safari. As I have to pull all my parts, I'll let you know what I find, pics and all...
I ordered my rivets, tools and "goo" online this week and should start pulling my "other" lower oval windows off next week. As a Rally Warrior, I think I can pull both the projects off!
Thanks for your insight, postings and tech...
On my wing windows, I used a knife to cut the gasket out on the outside between the frame and glass. I filled the cavity with Vulkem Sealant to make it resemble the old cut out gasket.
I scraped out the seam around the window between frame and trailer, and filled it with Vulkem Sealant.
I mashed Vulkem into the corner seams manually and cleaned up.
No more leaks.
I have one already dissasembled at home. When I get back from this sim session I'll take a look at it. Man we got humbled today, had multiple failures from the very begainning.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.