Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Tires (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/)
-   -   Need tires for a 1987 barn find 31 foot (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/need-tires-for-a-1987-barn-find-31-foot-62778.html)

professorbol 03-27-2010 08:27 PM

Need tires for a 1987 barn find 31 foot

I have found a 1987 Airstream 31 foot travel trailer with the rear bath configuration in a barn. It has been sitting there for so long the tires have dry rotted right off of it. The tire size is 235/75/R15 ! I can not find a load range on the tires.

First off: What is this the correct size tires to use for this trailer?

Second: what is the maximum ply, and minimum ply to use?

Third: Are there any other rubber items within the axle suspension I need to inspect/change before I tow this 94 miles home?

JFerguson 03-27-2010 09:00 PM

You might want to flush the bearings in solvent and repack them. The local RV dealership should know what kind of tires you need. I definitely wouldn't take it anyplace without inspecting the bearings first. By the way welcome to the Airstream community. You could always put the frame up on blocks and take the rims into the nearest RV dealer.

Airslide 03-27-2010 09:05 PM

I love the whole barn find concept.. must post pictures!

Vinnie

Inland RV Center, In 03-27-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professorbol (Post 830236)
I have found a 1987 Airstream 31 foot travel trailer with the rear bath configuration in a barn. It has been sitting there for so long the tires have dry rotted right off of it. The tire size is 235/75/R15 ! I can not find a load range on the tires.

Third: Are there any other rubber items within the axle suspension I need to inspect/change before I tow this 94 miles home?

The original tire size was ST 225 75 R 15 and was probably a load range "D".

It would be wise to repack the bearings and change grease seals.

Andy

JFerguson 03-27-2010 09:17 PM

Vinnie, I once found a 1956 chevey wagon in a barn. It had chickens living in it. I hosed out the bird dookey, replaced the plugs, changed the oil, hooked up a new battery and she started right up! I paid the man and drove that car for two years.

Jammer 03-27-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professorbol (Post 830236)

Most people use 225/75R15 tires with an ST rating. Not everyone likes Marathons but that's what new Airstreams are shipping with:

Goodyear Marathon Radial

There are other good brands.

Quote:

You probably want Load Range D, but you can figure it out yourself by calculating the weight on each wheel and looking at the capacity charts. They vary by size and sometimes a little by brand, but if you figure an 8000 pound loaded trailer, less 10% tongue weight = 7200 pounds on the axles, divided by four is 1800 pounds. For 225-75R15 tires, load range C is usually good up to 2100 pounds or so. Load range D is good up to 2500 pounds or so and will have stiffer sidewalls which will help slightly with sway.

Because the torsion axles don't do as good of a job as leaf springs in distributing the load evenly between the tandem axles when going over uneven ground it doesn't hurt to have some extra capacity in the tires.

Quote:

I answered on your other thread.