Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/)
-   -   Oh no....I think I screwed up! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/oh-no-i-think-i-screwed-up-62153.html)

Becky B. 03-11-2010 07:36 PM

Oh no....I think I screwed up!

4 Attachment(s)
I thought this little side project was going too well.....I think I got the wrong discharge valves for my tanks. The old ones were two pieces. The new ones are one piece. The problem is, the end that should go into the tank is the same size as the hole that is in the tank. Can I use a reducer there? The side of the valve that faces out of the tank is actually the size that should be in the tank. Would it matter which way I put the valve? I'm just afraid that things won't fit back in the same way they came out. I can't return the valves, because my son took off the handles & drilled holes in the pull rods so I could put the extensions on them later. It didn't occur to me to check the size until I was dry fitting everything.
HELP!!!

overlander63 03-11-2010 08:06 PM

Becky, unscrew the screws that hold the pieces together, and use the old pieces to connect back to the tank. Also, when you have it apart, you can swap the pull rods with the ones that are already drilled.

purman 03-11-2010 08:34 PM

I ran into this problem on my 69' Andy at Inland Rv had the right valve. i couldn't find the old one anywhere. It looked like the one you have...

Becky B. 03-11-2010 08:38 PM

The old pieces that were connected to the tank broke apart when I pried them off the tank. There wasn't anything salvagable from them. I tossed the parts that were on the tank since they were in pieces.:sad:

Becky B. 03-11-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purman (Post 822510)
I ran into this problem on my 69' Andy at Inland Rv had the right valve. i couldn't find the old one anywhere. It looked like the one you have...

I called over there & they told me to look at their website for the proper one. They didn't have the same one that was on my trailer, but they had the same one that I got at a different place.

overlander63 03-11-2010 09:44 PM

pried off?

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckybillrae (Post 822513)
The old pieces that were connected to the tank broke apart when I pried them off the tank. There wasn't anything salvagable from them. I tossed the parts that were on the tank since they were in pieces.:sad:

I think you need the adapters that go onto the tank outlet. They are held in place with a hose clamp, and the valve is hald onto them by 4 screws. Yours may have been white, most newer ones are black.

Becky B. 03-11-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63 (Post 822549)
I think you need the adapters that go onto the tank outlet. They are held in place with a hose clamp, and the valve is hald onto them by 4 screws. Yours may have been white, most newer ones are black.

So would that mean that I would only use one half of the valve I have? Where would you suggest I look for the adapter? I got the valve at Vintage Trailers.

The old tank outlet was held in place with a hose clamp & the valve was held on by 4 screws. I pried it off because it was also held on by some sort of caulk (it was still rubbery). The fitting was already cracked & brittle before I pried it off!

sd90mac 03-12-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckybillrae (Post 822559)
So would that mean that I would only use one half of the valve I have? Where would you suggest I look for the adapter? I got the valve at Vintage Trailers.

The old tank outlet was held in place with a hose clamp & the valve was held on by 4 screws. I pried it off because it was also held on by some sort of caulk (it was still rubbery). The fitting was already cracked & brittle before I pried it off!

That's the part you're going to need to put the valves back on. You can check Vintage Trailer Supply, Out Of Doors Mart, or almost any Airstream dealer for them.