Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f480/)
-   -   What is This For ??? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f480/what-is-this-for-57832.html)

Clyde-2 10-25-2009 03:34 PM

What is This For ???

1 Attachment(s)
Switch of some kind ? Located at top of the curbside compartment that contains the Univolt.

vswingfield 10-25-2009 03:37 PM

Looks like a light switch designed to come on when the door is opened. Reminds me of the one in the glove-box of my first car, a '56 Chevy.

Inland RV Center, In 10-25-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vswingfield (Post 763557)
Looks like a light switch designed to come on when the door is opened. Reminds me of the one in the glove-box of my first car, a '56 Chevy.

That is exactly what that switch is for.

Andy

Clyde-2 10-25-2009 04:02 PM

I thought it was a light switch too but have not been able to locate the actual light it controls. The yellow wire dissapears into the wall adjacent to the switch. :question:

HowieE 10-25-2009 04:28 PM

That looks like a home made addition.

Take a voltmeter and see if you have voltage on either or both of the wires at the switch. If you have voltage on both wires it is a switch to turn something on when the door id open. If you only have voltage on one wire it is a switch that turns something on when the door is closed.

Depending on which you find will determine where we go from there.

Most likely it is a switch to turn a light on, voltage on both wires when the door id open, and you have to find the light. The bulb may be blown.

I would suspect you will find the yellow wire is hot from the battery.

If neither wire has voltage on it someone may have disconnected the source upstream and you may never find it.

Mikethefixit 10-25-2009 05:14 PM

Hummmm thats different. I have lites in compartments but they look like a maplite from a 36 Chevy. Little lever on the side that eccentrics the bulb in and out to make contact. Im supprised mine work after 33 yrs.

Clyde-2 10-25-2009 05:23 PM

May have to call in the previous owner (my neighbor). He is a retired electrical engineer as well. May be something he added many moons ago.

Inland RV Center, In 10-25-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde-2 (Post 763605)
May have to call in the previous owner (my neighbor). He is a retired electrical engineer as well. May be something he added many moons ago.

The light socket was overhead in the access compartments.

Andy

richinny 10-25-2009 06:19 PM

some types of glove box lights have the bulb socket on the back of the button. it could also be an alarm switch.

Minno 10-25-2009 06:37 PM

We had those in our exterior hatches, all connected to little tiny light bulbs. No idea if any of them worked anymore as we disconnected them and stripped it all out as we disassembled the interior, and there was no power to the trailer anyway. We'll probably add something to some of the hatches as we rebuild, but maybe something we have to turn on ourselves? Not sure yet. Chris is going to be working on those details this winter with the electrical diagrams...

Kay

Clyde-2 10-25-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richinny (Post 763629)
some types of glove box lights have the bulb socket on the back of the button. it could also be an alarm switch.

Just went and looked again (this is driving me crazy) and it appears that the bulb socket IS on the back of the switch. The first time I reached in and felt around behind the switch it felt too small to be a light socket. It is a light socket, but takes a much smaller type (anyone know what type)bulb than the 1141's found throughout the trailer. Thanks guys. :wally:

richinny 10-26-2009 12:10 AM

#1891 .24A 14v
#1816 .33A 13v

either one should work. the 1816 should be brighter. they should be at many auto parts stores.

SSChanger 02-03-2010 08:00 PM

That's actually an ejection button. Push it, and the driver of the TV ejects. Trust me, I'm retired Air Force!

Olielulu 02-03-2010 08:13 PM

I would have said to look in the refrigerator to see if the lights come on.:D

Mexray 02-03-2010 09:38 PM

whatever you do, never 'clip' the yellow wire! I learned that from McGuyver...:rolleyes:

If there's no light inside, I agree, it might be an intruder alarm switch...or perhaps the switch indicates that the door is 'ajar' when you look at the master electrical panel inside the trailer...:D

Ray

WILDRTEXAS 02-04-2010 10:48 AM

I have that same button and it controls the light in the battery compartment and one in the rear compartment over the bumper.