Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f480/)
-   -   Has anybody done this modification? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f480/has-anybody-done-this-modification-53895.html)

mello mike 07-16-2009 04:33 AM

Has anybody done this modification?
 
One aspect of the newer Airstreams that I really like are the sewer hose storage units mounted on the belly pan just aft of the wheels. If you're not familiar with what they look like they are simply a 7 ft length of 5 inch PVC pipe plugged on one end with a screw cap on the other. For sanitary reasons, I like the idea of keeping the sewer hose separate from my other hoses, extension cords, and other cables. This would also give you more room in the bumper storage area.

Has anybody done this mod to a vintage trailer?

AirHeadsRus 07-16-2009 04:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These were mounted by the PO. I was told it was used to haul their flag poles. Access is only from the curb side on mine so I doubt they stored the sewer hoses. My flag pole was to long to fit in it. Need to get some that will. I just got my Sewer Solutions so am getting rid of all but one emergency slinky. Yipee!
Joe

47WeeWind 07-16-2009 06:24 AM

It's a vintage feature . . .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mello mike (Post 722222)
One aspect of the newer Airstreams that I really like are the sewer hose storage units mounted on the belly pan just aft of the wheels. If you're not familiar with what they look like they are simply a 7 ft length of 5 inch PVC pipe plugged on one end with a screw cap on the other. For sanitary reasons, I like the idea of keeping the sewer hose separate from my other hoses, extension cords, and other cables. This would also give you more room in the bumper storage area. Has anybody done this mod to a vintage trailer?

Hi Mike:

Yes, the factory did. These storage tubes were optional factory accessories on many vintage Airstreams of the Fifties and Sixties. They often were installed on trailers that had the "International" upgrade package, sometimes crossways near the axle(s) and sometimes lengthwise partially within the belly skin. Airstream undoubtedly got this idea for their "new" trailers from their older trailers. There's never much new under the sun. ;)

87MH 07-16-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello mike (Post 722222)
... I really like are the sewer hose storage units mounted on the belly pan just aft of the wheels....Has anybody done this mod to a vintage trailer?


Check out this thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f219...ign-14737.html
Post #53
  • Sewer Hose Carrier. Since I raised the undercarriage a couple of inches there is plenty of room for a 4 plastic well casing section (stronger than regular PVC) mounted crossways just behind the black tank. Made mounts out of 1/8 X 1 aluminum strap and secured them to the frame. I used stainless steel hardware. Both end caps are held on with bungees.
Sewer Hose Carrier

https://www.airforums.com/attachments...oseCarrier.jpg

Curb Side Detail

https://www.airforums.com/attachments...SideDetail.jpg

Driver Side Detail
https://www.airforums.com/attachments...oseCarrier.jpg

mello mike 07-16-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47WeeWind (Post 722241)
Hi Mike:

Yes, the factory did. These storage tubes were optional factory accessories on many vintage Airstreams of the Fifties and Sixties. They often were installed on trailers that had the "International" upgrade package, sometimes crossways near the axle(s) and sometimes lengthwise partially within the belly skin. Airstream undoubtedly got this idea for their "new" trailers from their older trailers. There's never much new under the sun. ;)

Well this only proves that you learn something new everyday. :D I can honestly say I've never seen a vintage trailer with this feature.

Nice job, 87!! Looks great.

purman 07-16-2009 08:39 AM

My 1968 Ambassador had one on it when I got it. But then the hose was stored in the rear bumper, so thats where I have kept it.

I remove the hose holder when I put in the grey tank behind the rear axles.

I am going to redo my rear bumper, not sure how just yet, but may put a diamond plate square tube bumper on to store the hose in..

eubank 07-16-2009 09:23 AM

I've seen these on a bunch of rigs. One feature to design in would be a wider opening at the end. The problem is that many of these are designed to hold the hose, but not the fittings on the hose, so folks have to remove the fittings in order to store the hose.
:)
Lynn

87MH 07-16-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eubank (Post 722296)
I've seen these on a bunch of rigs. One feature to design in would be a wider opening at the end. The problem is that many of these are designed to hold the hose, but not the fittings on the hose, so folks have to remove the fittings in order to store the hose.

Lynn:

The mod below takes care of that (the trailer fitting, anyway).

The 18" or so connection you see on the street (driver) side termination is actually a slip-on type of a PVC union. The ID of the union is a bit over 4.5", so a 45 degree clear Camco type connector stores in the pipe storage along with the slinky. I leave the Thetford/Valterra crossover on the sewerage termination. The other end of the hose hase an EZ fitting on it which also fits into the storage PVC pipe. I have about a 3" slope on the PVC and a small hole drilled in the bottom of the curb side so any entrapped water drains while on the road.


Driver Side
https://www.airforums.com/attachments...oseCarrier.jpg

Curb Side
https://www.airforums.com/attachments...SideDetail.jpg

rangebowdrie 07-16-2009 10:24 AM

Sportsmen have been using that type of device for many years to store fishing rods.

mello mike 07-16-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87MH (Post 722302)
Lynn:

The mod below takes care of that (the trailer fitting, anyway).

The 18" or so connection you see on the street (driver) side termination is actually a slip-on type of a PVC union. The ID of the union is a bit over 4.5", so a 45 degree clear Camco type connector stores in the pipe storage along with the slinky. I leave the Thetford/Valterra crossover on the sewerage termination. The other end of the hose hase an EZ fitting on it which also fits into the storage PVC pipe. I have about a 3" slope on the PVC and a small hole drilled in the bottom of the curb side so any entrapped water drains while on the road.


Driver Side
https://www.airforums.com/attachments...oseCarrier.jpg

Curb Side
https://www.airforums.com/attachments...SideDetail.jpg

Dennis,
Is that a coupler where your brackets screw into the tube or is it just a sleeve? I like that idea. It gives additional strength for the mount and allows a short screw to be inserted that will not protrude into the tube and snag the sewer hose. Also, did you make the brackets or did you buy them?

87MH 07-16-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello mike (Post 722322)
Dennis,
Is that a coupler where your brackets screw into the tube or is it just a sleeve? I like that idea. It gives additional strength for the mount and allows a short screw to be inserted that will not protrude into the tube and snag the sewer hose. Also, did you make the brackets or did you buy them?

Mike:

The driver side is part of the slip-on compression union (larger ID) - the curb side is just a "shortie" coupler that I sanded the stop out of - you're right, it serves for additional strength and the screws do not penetrate the 4" PVC pipe and therefore do not snag anything.

Brackets are home made out of 1" X 1/8" Aluminum flat bar.

I'm contemplating mounting a piece of 6" PVC just to the rear of the 4". I have a collapsable alluminum step ladder (3" X 5" X 7' long when folded) that would travel well there.

Kevin245 07-17-2009 01:54 PM

We have one installed just behind the aft axle. Definately more sanitary than trying to store hoses together.

Kevin

FreshAir 07-17-2009 02:11 PM

I am planning to do the same, however, I need something larger than a 4" dia. pipe. I saw a 5" on an SOB recently so they are available. I have a Sewer Solution set up but carry a slinky 'just in case'. Once I can vacate the bumper storage there are many other 'things' that would be better stored in there. As for the pipe I am going to have removable caps on both ends. Stuff sometimes do get hung up :angry: in there.
Neil.

bondo 08-25-2009 09:01 PM

they have the exact factory one at out of doors mart even a picture of it

ZoomZoom 08-25-2009 09:45 PM

Miscellaneous Parts
ABS trays available here
Greg

LuckyLindsy 09-15-2009 05:21 PM

Sewer solution?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus (Post 722224)
These were mounted by the PO. I was told it was used to haul their flag poles. Access is only from the curb side on mine so I doubt they stored the sewer hoses. My flag pole was to long to fit in it. Need to get some that will. I just got my Sewer Solutions so am getting rid of all but one emergency slinky. Yipee!
Joe

Hi - we are new to this and have begun a total restoration of a '56 Caravanner. We are putting in all new plumbing and tanks, etc.
Here's the question: What is a SEWER SOLUTION??
Thanks

davenpow 09-15-2009 05:36 PM

LuckyLindsy,
Google it and then hit the first response for a explanation (ad).
ted

DEITZ645 09-15-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLindsy (Post 748192)
Hi - we are new to this and have begun a total restoration of a '56 Caravanner. We are putting in all new plumbing and tanks, etc.
Here's the question: What is a SEWER SOLUTION??
Thanks

LuckyLindsy,
You can find out what a Sewer Solution is on their web site...

Sewer Solution

Now you know:wally:.

LuckyLindsy 09-15-2009 05:45 PM

Thanks
 
Thanks for the info....it looks great.

Rick F 09-15-2009 07:22 PM

One other question on this.. Would it not be a good idea to put a small vent in each end of the PVC lid to allow air to get in so things can dry out --? Just an idea.. I would think leaving 'wet' stuff in there for a long time might not be a good idea.. Perhaps there's a hole in there but I didn't notice one in the photos


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.