Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Values (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f349/)
-   -   Value of 1972 Safari 23' (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f349/value-of-1972-safari-23-a-52443.html)

slk 06-10-2009 10:41 PM

Value of 1972 Safari 23'

I am looking at a 23' Safari 1972. The owner does not know if the fridge, stove, heater, or much of anything works in this trailer. The hot water heater is not there. He bought it a couple of years ago to fix up and he has lost interest. The tires are somewhat checked. I don't even know if the brakes work. The interior is OK. The skin on the outside is in very good shape for a 72. All windows work. The floor seams to be solid. He is asking $6000

Tell me what you think

overlander64 06-10-2009 11:23 PM

Value of 1972 Safari 23'

Greetings slk!

Quote:

Originally Posted by slk (Post 708289)
I am looking at a 23' Safari 1972. The owner does not know if the fridge, stove, heater, or much of anything works in this trailer. The hot water heater is not there. He bought it a couple of years ago to fix up and he has lost interest. The tires are somewhat checked. I don't even know if the brakes work. The interior is OK. The skin on the outside is in very good shape for a 72. All windows work. The floor seams to be solid. He is asking $6000

Tell me what you think

While the 23' Safari is a desirable coach, there are too many unknowns to support the asking price. It could easily take in excess of $3,000 to get the coach ready for camping:
  • If the refrigerator doesn't work $1,200 for a new Absorbtion-type refrigerator
  • If the air conditioner doesn't work $700 for a replacement
  • If the furnace doen't work $700 for a replacement
  • If the water pump doesn't work $200 for a replacement (assuming PAR)
  • If the range isn't safe to operate $700 for a replacement
  • Known need of new water heater -- $700 for replacement
  • Updating LP tanks to OPD regulations -- $125
  • If the LP Regulator isn't safe to operate -- $100
  • If the Univolt doesn't work -- $300 to replace (assuming new replacement)
My estimation would place a reasonable value in the range of $3,500 to $4,500. If you are very interested in this coach, you might ask the owner if you could have it inspected by an RV dealer -- the dealer wouldn't necessarily have to be an Airstream dealer as the appliances are typical of many RVs of various manufacturers.

Kevin

slk 06-11-2009 07:28 AM

Thanks Kevin

Those figures are just about what I was thinking. I hate to low ball someone, but it should be his responsibility to know what is working or not. If he dosent know then he should expect someone to shoot low with an offer. The trailer does have some very good points. No dents, no leaks, and a sound floor. Seat/bed cushions are in good shape too. Only 1 of the cabinet roller faces has come apart. All of the slats are there. I presume you can order some of that material.

Thanks
Steve

CanoeStream 06-11-2009 08:22 AM

See Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values.

That's a good post by overlander64. Tires are reliable maybe 5 years after manufacture. There are codes on the sidewalls that give this date but checked tells me you don't have to look any further. New tires will be needed. Axles too if you look into it -- axles hold up better if they've had regular use.

If it has a Suburban furnace, those were recalled for carbon monoxide risk caused by composite material in the plenum that didn't hold up. Some people have fixed those but a new furnace is good insurance IMO.

At $6K it sounds like the PO is trying to support his paying too high a price or thinking he can profit from his added value when he didn't add much, if anything.

And ... they all leak.

overlander64 06-11-2009 08:46 AM

Value of 1972 Safari 23'

Greetings Steve!

Quote:

Originally Posted by slk (Post 708352)
Thanks Kevin

Those figures are just about what I was thinking. I hate to low ball someone, but it should be his responsibility to know what is working or not. If he dosent know then he should expect someone to shoot low with an offer. The trailer does have some very good points. No dents, no leaks, and a sound floor. Seat/bed cushions are in good shape too. Only 1 of the cabinet roller faces has come apart. All of the slats are there. I presume you can order some of that material.

Thanks
Steve

The tambour material is available from at least two sources. It can be had as either laminate (as used originally by Airstream in the 1970s) or as solid wood or wood veneer. The only possible issue could be if the roller-track is broken or missing -- it is possible to find replacements, but it can be time consuming. It may also be possible to repair the original tambour door if all of the pieces are there -- it can be carefully removed by detaching one of the roller-track assemblies then the slats can be rearranged -- then either muslin or fine burlap can be cut to 1/2" narrower on each side (to keep clear of roller-track) and glued onto the back of the tambour.

Good luck with your investigation/negotiations.

Kevin