Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Tow Vehicles (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/)
-   -   Looking for used F250 7.3 PSD, any advice? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/looking-for-used-f250-7-3-psd-any-advice-52173.html)

barbara4rb 06-04-2009 10:37 PM

Looking for used F250 7.3 PSD, any advice?
 
Hi,
I have been looking for the "right" Airstream, and leaning toward a 23' or 25'. Have a Toyota Tacoma that we love, but it won't work as an AS TV. New in our life, we also need to be able to trailer a horse (or two), so have decided to start looking for a used, F250 7.3 PSD. My truck expert has a 97 F250 7.3 PSD, which he'll never sell. He claims the 7.3 is the best engine Ford ever put in a truck.

I'm asking you experts on this forum for any advice concerning purchasing a used F250 7.3 PSD. I believe Ford made them from 1996 - 2003. Are there certain years/feature that are especially good or bad? I'm thinking extra cab, short bed, probably 2x4.

Thanks!

Airslide 06-04-2009 10:55 PM

Hello barbara4rb,

I have a 94' 7.3 IDI T

You might want to check out the other forum site that I frequent. Its everything you ever wanted to know and more about the question you posed here. Just go to the 7.3 IDI (non powerstroke engine) area in the forums. Like us... they are a friendly group that will answer any question..

www.thedieselstop.com

Good luck

Vinnie

Boondocker 06-04-2009 11:03 PM

I am pretty sure that 97 was the last year for the 7.3L. I have a 97 with the manual transmission. Dont look for mine to go up for sale anytime soon either. Last summer, I took her up wolf creek pass with the turbo whistleing and accelerating the whole way- that puppy is a climber! Also, I think that was the last year before the super duty designation, I think the rear end is softer than the super dutys which presumeably is kinder to the camper. I cant swear to any of this, not being a motor head, but I think this is all mostly correct.

Airslide 06-04-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlamica (Post 705687)
Hello barbara4rb,

I have a 94' 7.3 IDI T

You might want to check out the other forum site that I frequent. Its everything you ever wanted to know and more about the question you posed here. Just go to the 7.3 IDI (non powerstroke engine) area in the forums. Like us... they are a friendly group that will answer any question..

www.thedieselstop.com

Good luck

Vinnie


Oh sorry,

I dont mean to infer that the powerstrokes are bad.. There have been some concerns about the powder metal rods vs. the forged rods in the later trucks. I know people who have older and later versions and each is very happy. Its a tough truck to kill.

Vin

overlander63 06-04-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen Disarray (Post 705690)
I am pretty sure that 97 was the last year for the 7.3L. I have a 97 with the manual transmission. Dont look for mine to go up for sale anytime soon either. Last summer, I took her up wolf creek pass with the turbo whistleing and accelerating the whole way- that puppy is a climber! Also, I think that was the last year before the super duty designation, I think the rear end is softer than the super dutys which presumeably is kinder to the camper. I cant swear to any of this, not being a motor head, but I think this is all mostly correct.

Actually, the 7.3 Powerstroke was offered from 1994-2003.The 1994 offing was a 1995 model.
The F250 was offered in a light duty model, with the F150 body, and no diesel, and ran concurrently with the older model body style F250, known as the "Super Duty" model, until the new body style was ready for 1998. 1998-2000 models had some gear train problems in the E4OD transmissions, but any still on the road by this time have been updated with the better innards.

Boondocker 06-05-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63 (Post 705698)
Actually, the 7.3 Powerstroke was offered from 1994-2003.The 1994 offing was a 1995 model.
The F250 was offered in a light duty model, with the F150 body, and no diesel, and ran concurrently with the older model body style F250, known as the "Super Duty" model, until the new body style was ready for 1998. 1998-2000 models had some gear train problems in the E4OD transmissions, but any still on the road by this time have been updated with the better innards.

Umm yeah, what he said. :bb:

Anyway, I DO know, this truck rocks (and Terry is THE Ford man).

wahoonc 06-05-2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63 (Post 705698)
Actually, the 7.3 Powerstroke was offered from 1994-2003.The 1994 offing was a 1995 model.
The F250 was offered in a light duty model, with the F150 body, and no diesel, and ran concurrently with the older model body style F250, known as the "Super Duty" model, until the new body style was ready for 1998. 1998-2000 models had some gear train problems in the E4OD transmissions, but any still on the road by this time have been updated with the better innards.


What were the upgrades to the E4OD? I have a bad feeling I am about to have to pay the piper:cry:

I also thought some of the early '04 trucks still had the 7.3psd in them? I saw one on a used lot the other day that was listed as an '04 an still had the 7.3 in it. I was going to go back but the truck was gone in less than a week.

Aaron:cool:

handn 06-07-2009 02:16 PM

I have a 2000 7.3 Excursion. The only engine and transmission problems in 170,000 miles have been cam sensors. Finally Ford recalled the vehicle and put a bullet proof one in. Much worse track record with the 6.0 (2004 and later).
Like any with any old truck, the issue is condition and maintanence history. If you find a good one, buy it.

Diesel1 06-07-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara4rb (Post 705683)
Hi,
I have been looking for the "right" Airstream, and leaning toward a 23' or 25'. Have a Toyota Tacoma that we love, but it won't work as an AS TV. New in our life, we also need to be able to trailer a horse (or two), so have decided to start looking for a used, F250 7.3 PSD. My truck expert has a 97 F250 7.3 PSD, which he'll never sell. He claims the 7.3 is the best engine Ford ever put in a truck.

I'm asking you experts on this forum for any advice concerning purchasing a used F250 7.3 PSD. I believe Ford made them from 1996 - 2003. Are there certain years/feature that are especially good or bad? I'm thinking extra cab, short bed, probably 2x4.

Thanks!

Hi, I worked as a Ford mechanic in a Ford dealership from 1993 till 2005. From 1999 till 2005 I only worked on the Ford/ International diesel. After I left the dealership I went to work at the Ford desert proving ground in Yucca,Az. In pickups the 7.3 Powerstrokes were made from 1994 1/2- 2003. In E series vans they lasted till 2004. From talking to the Ford engineers the "best" year 7.3 is 2000. This was the 2nd year of the Super Duty bodystyle. The turbo had an intercooler, the truck as a whole had the most sound deadening of any year. I myself like the 94 1/2-97 years the best. Altho the Intercooled Super Duty version makes a bit more horsepower. I have an early version,1994 1/2 truck with close to 300,000 miles on it. In the first year or so of production you will only find manual transmissions, 5 speeds.The E40D auto follewed later as the trans was beefed up to handle the torque of the Powerstroke. If you can find a 1997 for sell you will be well served. Adios, John

94Tri 06-07-2009 03:56 PM

I have owned a 2000 F250 7.3 and currently a 2000 F350. I believe the 7.3 Powerstroke is a fine workhorse of a motor. I firmly believe Ford should have stayed with the 7.3. I have no doubt that the older ones are great too. GO FORD!!!:D

searcher 06-07-2009 04:02 PM

2000 super duty
 
I have a 2000 super duty with 7.3 dsl. 93k miles and no problems. I tow a 2000 Excella 30 foot. You can't go wrong with this rig.

SK

Mikethefixit 06-07-2009 06:13 PM

We have a 2001 7.3 with 75k, not really that many miles for a Diesel. The only thing beside Regular Service was the Cam Sensor Recall. I replaced the water pump,and batteries and brake pads at 60k miles. We did alot of city drivin and this thing weights in at 8700 lbs,so city drivin its hard on brakes. Batteries were 7 yrs old these things are to be expected.
We really like our CrewCab(4door)and LONG wheelbase/Single wheel .It rides as good as a car and ITS stable in cross winds and meeting semi's of all configurations. My wife HATES interstates,so we do alot of 2 lane roads.
Barbara I would go with a longer wheelbase No SHORT BEDS. We get 14 around town and 20 on the highway and 17 towing. We love it.
Oh we better love it. That's all we have is FORD TRUCKS. We don't own a car.

SilverAvion 06-07-2009 06:21 PM

99 F250 7.3 powerstroke here. 6 speed (including the low gear) with over 200k on the odometer. I tow a 30 foot Avion which weighs in at about 10k.

These trucks do the job well!

Coastalview 06-07-2009 09:27 PM

barbara4rb, If you can find a 1997, you will be in heaven!
I've had many inquiries if I'd sell mine, but simply there has not been anything comparable to cost per mile own.
So why replace what works...
I had a 99 model for awhile and it was not even close to quality of the 97. Almost changed brands after that purchase.
Ford had in right in 1997, the last of the boxy basic body style and a drive train that likes to work.
No replacement for displacement :D
Good luck in your search, you will have to look hard to find one that's been cared for let alone an owner willing to part with one.
Jeff

mustang 06-14-2009 05:17 PM

I have had 2 - 7.3 liters Here is some good, accurate advice.

1- They dont get the mileage everyone claims. Neither does the 6.0 or 6.4.

2 - the 7.3 from 97 til production ended are good engines. How Good? As good as there maintenence is or was.

3-Get an OASIS report

My son just went out and bought an 01 F250 4x4 Automatic extended cab. It has 138000 miles on it. New frontball joints and all service done. He gave $13,900. Before he did it, I ran the V.I.N. a Ford dealer can get the report. The report starts with MFG date, sale date,state, dealer ect.(Not owners) But it will show if it was a lease vehicle.

an OASIS is like a stress test. A stress test tells how your heart is based on history, and here and now. An OASIS report will let you know what repaires where done and how often. In my sons case. It showed regular mantenece intervals, but no major issue's. It is better then a carfax, but carfax is also a good thing.

Coastalview 06-14-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang (Post 709644)
I have had 2 - 7.3 liters Here is some good, accurate advice.

1- They dont get the mileage everyone claims. Neither does the 6.0 or 6.4.

2 - the 7.3 from 97 til production ended are good engines. How Good? As good as there maintenence is or was.

3-Get an OASIS report

My son just went out and bought an 01 F250 4x4 Automatic extended cab. It has 138000 miles on it. New frontball joints and all service done. He gave $13,900. Before he did it, I ran the V.I.N. a Ford dealer can get the report. The report starts with MFG date, sale date,state, dealer ect.(Not owners) But it will show if it was a lease vehicle.

an OASIS is like a stress test. A stress test tells how your heart is based on history, and here and now. An OASIS report will let you know what repaires where done and how often. In my sons case. It showed regular mantenece intervals, but no major issue's. It is better then a carfax, but carfax is also a good thing.

Never heard of an Oasis report and I'm glad to hear there is.
With our 97 powerstroke crewcab 4WD shortbed 4spd. auto,4:10 gearing, we average empty: City 14-16mpg, Highway 16-19, and towing our 28' Abassador 14 mpg at 63 mph. Figures were a tad better before they removed sulfur from diesel. I just replaced the original front brakes at 94,000 miles and the rears were still 50%. I feel like I'm one of the very few owners that has gotten such results from a Ford product. Use equipment as intended and you get a long service life. Your mileage may vary :D
Jeff

wahoonc 06-14-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastalview (Post 709722)
Never heard of an Oasis report and I'm glad to hear there is.
With our 97 powerstroke crewcab 4WD shortbed 4spd. auto,4:10 gearing, we average empty: City 14-16mpg, Highway 16-19, and towing our 28' Abassador 14 mpg at 63 mph. Figures were a tad better before they removed sulfur from diesel. I just replaced the original front brakes at 94,000 miles and the rears were still 50%. I feel like I'm one of the very few owners that has gotten such results from a Ford product. Use equipment as intended and you get a long service life. Your mileage may vary :D
Jeff


Similar setup, but I get on the low side of your numbers, however I am running a 96 Crewcab Dually, usually with a fair sized tool chest in the back. Typically run the scales around 7200# road ready. I have found that my truck loves the bio blend diesel and actually gets better mileage on it than the low sulfur stuff. I have run as high as B80 in it:D. 138,000 on mine and due for a tranny overhaul. No other issues to speak of.

Aaron:cool:

Diesel1 06-15-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang (Post 709644)


an OASIS is like a stress test. A stress test tells how your heart is based on history, and here and now. An OASIS report will let you know what repaires where done and how often. In my sons case. It showed regular mantenece intervals, but no major issue's. It is better then a carfax, but carfax is also a good thing.

Oasis will only show warrenty repairs, not customer pay repairs. Also Oasis only goes back for the last recorded six months. ie- if the vehicle was worked on under warrenty on 2/2003, 5/2003, & 4/2004 and it is now 2009 only the 4/2004 repair will show up. Adios, John

SilverAvion 06-15-2009 09:13 PM

i should have added this to my original post...
never had any major mechanical issues. many of the other components under the hood have worn out and been replaced, but the 7.3 is bomb proof.

Airslide 06-16-2009 12:18 AM

Im here vacationing in Grand Canyon right now. I have a 94 7.3 Turbo. We averaged around 11 mpg towing this trip so far. There was one stretch between Needles and Seligman where we came in on fumes literally (next time I will make sure I keep one of the tanks half full). The truck has performed well although I expected a little more power from the ol gal. I think my Dodge Cummins would have taken it on the grades.
I added a pyrometer guage so could see what was happening on those grades and was surprised to see how quickly it can get up to 1200F. Thats when i would back out of it and take my time in the truck lanes. I dont think you could go wrong with this combination.

Best of luck

Vinnie


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.