Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream History (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f492/)
-   -   '63-'64 world tour maps (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f492/63-64-world-tour-maps-47244.html)

lemoore 01-04-2009 12:33 AM

'63-'64 world tour maps

i found a big box of 63-64 world tour maps names places dates. what should we do with this stuff?

bjond 01-04-2009 08:13 AM

Donate one of them to the Vintage Airstream Club's library and/or Historian to help preserve the info.

Forrest McClure(#2671), VAC Librarian
13992 E. Marina Dr. #301
Aurora, CO 80014
forrest@mcclurefamily.org

Fred Coldwell (#1510), VAC Historian
2031 Krameria Street,
Denver, CO 80207
agrijeep@qwest.net

goransons 01-04-2009 09:20 AM

Is there any way we could get full size copies?

Lumatic 01-04-2009 09:50 AM

I have a 62 Ambassador which was on this caravan. These docs need to be preserved before they are lost to time. Most of the participants on this caravan have passed on and as far as I can tell there are only 3 Airstreams, including mine, that were on this caravan that are accounted for. I would die for copies, and would volunteer to be caretaker of these documents if necessary. The Vintage Airstream Club idea above may be the best solution. There is also a map in "Thank you Marco Polo".

lemoore 01-05-2009 12:17 AM

63-64 maps

i need to look through the maps and notes. some of the notes who what an where. i will list some more info, some notes include who ate what...is there any value to stuff like this? i have had request for copies, will look into that. the couple on the trip was mr.& mrs.friend

Lumatic 01-05-2009 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemoore (Post 653562)
i need to look through the maps and notes. some of the notes who what an where. i will list some more info, some notes include who ate what...is there any value to stuff like this? i have had request for copies, will look into that. the couple on the trip was mr.& mrs.friend

I would be especially interested in anything you find on my trailer. It's WBCCI # was 6472. It belonged to the Ross's from California on the Caravan.

PeeWee 01-05-2009 07:19 PM

Heavy Brass Medal from the Around the World Caravan

1 Attachment(s)
Those traveling on the ATW Caravan received this very beautiful brass and enamel medallion.

PeeWee 01-05-2009 07:32 PM

ATW Route Post Card

1 Attachment(s)
This is another great ATW Caravan item.

Pee Wee

Lumatic 01-05-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeWee (Post 653833)
Those traveling on the ATW Caravan received this very beautiful brass and enamel medallion.

I saw this medallion a couple of times before, but thought it was just a logo. I would give up my ponytail to have a medallion. I've thought about having a decal made up or paint a copy on 6472. A flag would be way cool.

goransons 01-05-2009 07:51 PM

Peewee Where do you come up with this stuff? I'd love to get a copy of both of those, do you have higher resolution copies I could get from you?

Lumatic, I have a guy locally that does this type of graphics work, if I can get a higher resolution photo I can get a couple made more than likely. The spot by the door for this is there, can see the ghost of it and the rivet holes, wondered what it was.

Lumatic 01-05-2009 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by goransons (Post 653850)
Peewee Where do you come up with this stuff? ............. The spot by the door for this is there, can see the ghost of it and the rivet holes, wondered what it was.

Peewee, your plethora of micellaneous memorabilia shall never cease to amaze me.

Goransons, about the best I can come up with is this brass badge next to my door. Underneath ANAND AUTOMOBILES it says Bombay Calcutta Delhi. My guess this is from Bombay where the frame was reinforced in prepartation for the impassable roads of Afghanistan as mentioned in "Thank You Marco Polo".

goransons 01-05-2009 09:08 PM

cool, nothing like that on ours, would you be interested in one of those round badges if I can get them made for a reasonable price?

PeeWee 01-05-2009 10:04 PM

Cover of the roster for the Caravanners on the Trip

1 Attachment(s)
Here another official document from the Caravan.

Pee Wee

Lumatic 01-06-2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goransons (Post 653892)
cool, nothing like that on ours, would you be interested in one of those round badges if I can get them made for a reasonable price?

Like a duck on a junebug:wally:

47WeeWind 01-06-2009 08:21 AM

Spring 2009 Airstream Life magazine . . .

Around The World Caravan enthusiasts will really enjoy the upcoming Spring 2009 issue of Airstream Life magazine. But you' ll have to wait and see exactly why . . . . :wally::wally:

flyfshr 01-06-2009 08:25 AM

Not fair Fred. That's dirty pool...

I always look forward to the next issue and now, thanks to you, I've even more excited.

Brad
FF

goransons 01-06-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 653954)
Like a duck on a junebug:wally:

Just checked my messages, he has already digitized this and has it set up to make a patch (jacket or hat etc) if you want, he was playing with his software and did it as a test. He thinks he can laser etch this on a red enameled brass plate(like trophy shops use) then coat the white and black on. Would be more accurate and last longer than a vinyl version. Should more a bit in a few days, the one he was working on is he was searching for an easy way to cut the stock perfectly round, needed some type of attachment for his CNC to cut a perect circle or something.

66Overlander 01-21-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemoore (Post 653562)

I am sort of becoming the unofficial historian of the Around-the-World Caravan as I have been collecting everything I can about it for a while. If copies are made I would alike a set also. I have already written one article about a trailer from this caravan for the Vintage Airstream Club newsletter and am now in the process of writing a follow-up article for the next issue.

And FYI, Cecil & Grace Friend, WBCCI #6781 of Lemoore, California are recorded participants of the Around the World Caravan. So far I have been unable to determine what model and year Airstream they traveled in. If you ever run across any photo's from the caravan I'd also like copies of those. Thanks.

And under all circumstances those papers should be saved. If you can find no other way to have them preserved, I would pay to have then shipped to myself or the official VAC Historian or Librarian mentioned in one of the first posts. Between us, we could make sure they are properly preserved.

Thanks for bringing them to our attention!

PeeWee 01-22-2009 11:25 AM

1963 Article ATW 1st Page

1 Attachment(s)
A Memory from 1963.

66Overlander 01-22-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeWee (Post 659086)
A Memory from 1963.

PeeWee, Do you have the rest of the article? If so I'd love to see it. Thanks.

PeeWee 01-22-2009 10:27 PM

Documents and History

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Overlander (Post 659273)
PeeWee, Do you have the rest of the article? If so I'd love to see it. Thanks.

I have limited amounts of information, pictures and magazines about this Caravan, Europe, Africa and more.

I try to post a few things, but only on a limited basis. If you wish more information go to,

https://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/index.html

I have been working across the board on various historical items and subjects. I have the ATW Caravan scheduled in the future.

Pee Wee

Pee Wee

Lumatic 01-23-2009 07:17 AM

Then and now

1 Attachment(s)
Here is #6472 as she sits now in my backyard. Note the very unusual bunkhouse windows. Unless there was a twin on the caravan this is the same trailer doing the balancing act in post 19 above. It belonged to the Ross's from California

goransons 01-23-2009 07:21 AM

Very cool Lumatic, so what is your timeline for work on this one? Would be cool to get all the US survivers back together sometime in the next couple years for a "reunion"

Lumatic 01-23-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goransons (Post 659325)
Very cool Lumatic, so what is your timeline for work on this one? Would be cool to get all the US survivers back together sometime in the next couple years for a "reunion"

I don't even have a timeline yet. Hopefully I can get some essential repairs done this year to make it safe to tow: wheels and tires, brakes and running lights. There is a broken window curbside that should also be fixed. Then I can at least take her to some local rallies even if none of the appliances are working.

bredlo 03-19-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Overlander (Post 658974)
FYI, Cecil & Grace Friend, WBCCI #6781 of Lemoore, California are recorded participants of the Around the World Caravan.

My parents just called from Laguna Beach, CA (rotten bums). They were strolling along the beach and according to Mom "a little silver Airstream just went by on the PCH. It looked just like yours, and had 6781 in big red numbers."

I assured them that didn't mean anything to me offhand, but that I'd look it up and say hello if I found anything out. :lol:

goransons 03-19-2009 06:59 PM

Did these maps ever get into club hands?

PeeWee 03-19-2009 07:43 PM

Retention of History, Artifacts and Such

The items of historic value that I have will probably go to the Baker County Historical Society.

These items cover family, Airstream, Caravan and Club history beginning in 1860 to current items.

I have selected an organization that is sound and will be there tomorrow and the day after.

In today's business world some organizations and companies are transitional. What is importnat to one leader, or owner may change in time.

Wally Byam and Helen Byam Schwamborn were born in Baker, Oregon. This is where the roots are. This is where the history of Airstream, the WBCCI, Caravans, related subjects, and the lifes of Helen Byam Schwamborn and Wallace Merle Byam will have the most security And of course those interested individuals will access to the items.

66Overlander 03-19-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bredlo (Post 678380)
My parents just called from Laguna Beach, CA (rotten bums). They were strolling along the beach and according to Mom "a little silver Airstream just went by on the PCH. It looked just like yours, and had 6781 in big red numbers."

I assured them that didn't mean anything to me offhand, but that I'd look it up and say hello if I found anything out. :lol:

If they ever see that trailer again, ask them to get a photo or two of it and post it here. It could be another surviving trailer from the ATW Caravan. The current owners of number 8671 in WBCCI are actually located here in Michigan and given that the Friend's lived in California at the time of the ATW caravan, it is unlikely that the members here have that trailer. Most likely that trailer in California now belongs to a non-WBCCI member who may not know about it's history (assuming your parents copied down the number correctly).

ruwithme 07-15-2010 10:34 AM

I have the same poster above....is there any value to it?

goransons 07-15-2010 07:05 PM

ruwithme, please contact me through my profile, I'd like to work out a deal with you on the poster.

gary larocca 07-16-2010 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 106913

gary larocca 07-16-2010 10:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 106914

Attachment 106915

goransons 07-16-2010 10:23 AM

Gary, thats pretty cool, where did you come across it?

66Overlander 07-17-2010 07:38 AM

I have never seen those posters before. As best I can tell neither the WBCCI archives, nor the Vintage Airstream Club Archives have copies of those.

If you ever decide to part with those posters, and Scott does not get them (I think he called "dibs" and he does own a trailer from that caravan), I think it'd be great to get them for the Vintage Airstream Club Archives. Let me know if you ever want to do that.

bredlo 07-17-2010 08:38 AM

Whoever ends up with them, I'd be more than happy to have near-exact copies created so that anyone could enjoy these.
Perhaps the original could go to the archives

ruwithme 07-18-2010 05:34 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding. We are not interested in selling the poster.

The poster is very fragile and large in size. I am in the process of finding a frame to secure it in and the next step is to have it possible "restored."

goransons 07-18-2010 11:12 AM

Would you be willing to have a shop make color copies of this?

gary larocca 07-19-2010 08:52 AM

Didn't realize this poster would stir up so much.
The first photo is the hole poster. The two photos that follow (The map of the US)&("The Around The World") are closer shots of the right side of the same poster. The map of the US Has Dots(44) in certaint states,with lines that lead west California.(Port they went out of). Then it shows(in a bolder Red line the trail they traveled.

DEITZ645 07-19-2010 10:37 AM

I have a couple of the post cards that Peewee shows in post #8. We found them while house cleaning at Penn Wood. I have been giving them to anybody that shows an interest in them or has a trailer that made the trip. If you want one please send your snail mail address via a PM and I will make sure you get one. Hurry, there aren't many left and they will be sent on a first come first serve basis.

goransons 07-19-2010 11:36 AM

I checked in with Peewee yesterday, and he has a photo of the poster on a bulletin board with some other photos, but not the actual poster. I'd be happy to pay for a copy and shipping if you're willing to take it in to have it done.

goransons 07-19-2010 11:39 AM

I received a post card awhile back from a forums member and have it set to get framed with some other photos, but thats for the great offer Carl!

DEITZ645 07-19-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goransons (Post 873385)
I received a post card awhile back from a forums member and have it set to get framed with some other photos, but thats for the great offer Carl!

Scott & Megan,
It was me who sent you the post card:wally:. I'm glad to see you're getting it framed.

goransons 07-19-2010 11:47 AM

Thanks Carl!! I just pulled it out and indeed it was! We love it! Again thanks!

DanB 07-23-2010 07:39 AM

Carl,

I rec'd my card from you yesterday! Thanks for the great "Airstreaming" spirit!

wkerfoot 07-24-2010 04:41 PM

Carl,

Thanks, postcard came today.

Bill

DEITZ645 07-25-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanB (Post 874837)
Carl,

I rec'd my card from you yesterday! Thanks for the great "Airstreaming" spirit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkerfoot (Post 875318)
Carl,

Thanks, postcard came today.

Bill

Dan & Bill,
You are both welcome. There is only one left (I am keeping one for my archives). So if anybody wants the last one available, please drop me a PM with your snail mail address.