Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Values (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f349/)
-   -   '65 safari for $4,000 Worth it? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f349/65-safari-for-4-000-worth-it-46346.html)

Bigtuna 11-13-2008 11:07 AM

'65 safari for $4,000 Worth it?

The trailer is in good working order everthing works and everthing is OEM. has all its papers,keys,ect. needs a good cleaning. the fabric on the beds are oem. Only thing wrong is that someone throw a big rock in the forward side window and bent in the framing alot looks like it could be fixed...the window has been replaced (they used a lot of chulk). Also the 2 out of the three vents are taped down because they wont stay closed. I would say the outside is fair and the inside is close to very good shape. please let me know if I should go for it.....all systems work by the way. Can someone tell of its value? or is some one looking for one to buy?

SteveH 11-13-2008 11:29 AM

I sold a '75 Safari a while back, probably in a little better shape, for $8,000 and they were beating down the door to get it.

BWH-Utah 11-13-2008 11:38 AM

That is exactly what I paid for my 1965 Safari a year and a half ago, and I looked for a year to get that one. Although, the one you are describing sounds to be in BETTER condition than mine. Seems like prices are are down a bit due to the sagging economy. Therefore, a better trailer for the same price sounds about right.
How is the floor, especially along the back edge? The '65 have funky plastic tail light housings that crack and are prone to leaking.
Got any Pics of the side window damage?
The vents are fairly easy to fix, or replace with a Fan-Tastic model.
BWH

Bigtuna 11-13-2008 11:42 AM

Thanks I will try to get some pics up. The guy selling doesnt really know what he has. Plus he doesnt know anything about computers he tells me.

Tom Nugler 11-13-2008 11:43 AM

Might be a bit high. How's the axle and tires? Split rims? How's the floor by the door and broken window, soft? Just as in buying a used car check for the hidden faults and don't put too much weight on the cosmetics.
Check out the price guide at Vintage Airsteam.
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
If the skin's OK and the floor solid the interior repairs shouldn't be that big a deal.
These days you might as well try asking for a big discount. Maybe the seller is motivated.

Thinking out loud,
Tom

ts8501 11-13-2008 04:04 PM

Ditto Tom...if it is what is stated here, sounds like the right price. The hidden gottcha's would be the only issue. Maybe there is an inspecter from this forum that could look at it?

GR8DANE 11-13-2008 09:47 PM

axles, frame, floor and more...

4 grand is a bunch o' cash...especially since you'll be sinking in a lot more to refurbish it. Offer less. There are plenty of $2000 trailers out there that leave you $2000 extra to fix the problems.

Patience is a virtue, aluminitus is a sickness!

Good luck!