Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1966 - 1968 Safari (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f192/)
-   -   Lost one, bought one! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f192/lost-one-bought-one-45797.html)

26.982 amu 10-16-2008 08:32 PM

Lost one, bought one!

Well, it's been a long time since I've had anything to say, but now I've got a lot! My first Airstream, a 29' '72 Ambassador, is in ruins on the Bolivar Peninsula near Galveston--a casualty of Hurricane Ike. 14 feet of water and 100+-mph winds were apparently too much for it. Everything inside was ruined, and the shell is still full of black mud after I gutted it last weekend. Oh, well--the Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away; blessed be the name of the Lord!

I've got a new toy on order: a '68 Safari in great shape. I'm going to keep this one parked at home! But it needs AC for the murderous Texas summer climate. What do you folks recommend: an external unit, a roll-around internal (Supentown), or a custom roof installation?

jerrypeterma 10-16-2008 08:36 PM

my opinion would be that there my come a day when you want to travel. I'd go custom roof just in case

jerrypeterma 10-16-2008 08:37 PM

ps
sorry about the 72

63Silver 10-16-2008 09:03 PM

I would go with a new roof mount unit, probably a Carrier or a Coleman.
Sorry to hear about your loss...

63silver

osolow 10-16-2008 09:05 PM

got pic's of the aftermath of Ike on your 72 A/S, just curious to what it looks like.

sorry to hear about your A/S

nohillgrish 10-16-2008 10:25 PM

Bummer on the '72, but like your spirit in getting right back in the saddle. Best of luck with the new unit.

Sixty3TW4US 10-16-2008 10:36 PM

Ouch that hurts. Seams the Lord hath given to you again, a sweet 68 Safari. Thankful I think so !! The Lord works in masterious ways.

Frank's Trailer Works 10-17-2008 04:23 AM

No comment on the acts of God....

I think you should also consider the Dometic. They make a very low profile unit that is about 4.5". Air-conditioning is very important down there in the Republic.

Distantdrummer 10-17-2008 05:19 AM

What will become of the remains of the Bolivar Airstream? Salvage yard perhaps?
With price of aluminum, I would think it might be worth a bit more than some might think. Are the windows and door salvageable?
Is it towable on its own chassis?
Is there a Insurance company involved? If so it would amaze me that they would have covered it down there. But a report would sure help many of us who might like to do similar with ours.

BTW did the lighthouse down at Boliver survive? I have seen nothing concerning it in the Houston Comical.
And pray tell what is the story behind your forum name... 26.982 amu ?
Is that aggie code?

pansy 10-17-2008 05:46 AM

26.982 amu ,sad news indeed. I as Distandrummer's interest; am curious about your insurance results. Oh, we're near neighbors. I'm in Chandler. Assumig your Tyler is the TX one. I placed a Dometic duo-therm on my 1971 23' Safari. Looks like a giant wart. I was cheap and didn't pay for the low profile.Great through in TX heat and humidity at Canton Trades Days five days of each month this Summer.
Doh, noticed your in TX. Sorry it's way early this morning.

Eliminator46 10-17-2008 06:50 AM

Wow, that is sad. I too am a victim of IKE, but at least we are alive to tell about it. I didn't lose anything but trees, and some fence, and ohyeah, my pool. I received my '70 model tradewind right after the storm. Maybe an Ohmen, but it survived. I too am interested in some pictures. Sorry for your loss.
Adam

overlander63 10-17-2008 08:21 AM

Yikes. I think keeping the trailer at home for the next go 'round is a good plan. I've steered a couple of people to the Carrier low profile unit, and they like it. You can PM utee94 about his install on his '63, and check his blog photos to see how it looks.
Good luck with the new obsession, errr, trailer.

dogpound 10-17-2008 10:18 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss. I just had my A/C replaced at the A/S shop in Albuquerque. Cost was in $1,500 range. It is a unit manufactured by Dometic which has a 3 year guarantee and I am quite satisfied with it.

Good luck.

Bob
FCU
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748

Craig Schrader 10-17-2008 01:40 PM

Bolivar Lighthouse

2 Attachment(s)
Distantdrummer asked if the Lighthouse is still standing. Yes..

Attachment 69597

Attachment 69598

26.982 amu 10-17-2008 05:56 PM

I'll rustle up some pix as soon as I can. I haven't decided what to do with the shell yet, but it is towable if the tires are resealed. I may sell it, or I may use it as a storage shed (sniff).

There was no insurance--unaffordable. I just drew the short straw.

My username is the atomic mass of aluminum (I teach chemistry).

whitsend 10-17-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26.982 amu (Post 628249)
I'll rustle up some pix as soon as I can. There was no insurance--unaffordable. I just drew the short straw. My username is the atomic mass of aluminum (I teach chemistry).

So sorry about your loss!! And I applaud your attitude - you just gotta get back in that saddle & not let it all get you down!! A friend used to own a house on Bolivar, on the beach right next to the old WW2 fort. I'm sure that's all gone now - certainly the house, but the old fort too. I was in Houston 9/28, for a day. LOTS of damage still evident to see, and still no electricity or water to the rv park in Spring. So, we got the family business taken care of and "hauled" out - for Tyler!!! I was there in the mid 60's, playing at "college", in reality just playing. We stayed in a really nice rv park near the airport for several days, trying to find my old haunts (The Toddle House, now "D's", Loggins Rest. & the school of course. Really had a nice trip down what's left of my memory lane. Then over to Canton for my Wally units rally & the First Monday Trade Days. Talk about change since the mid '60's!!! Thank goodness for the scooters ;)!! Couldn't have done the Canton "Shop Till You Drop" without them.

And thank goodness for our Airstreams - they make emergency trips a little better, and fun trips so very memorable. And thank goodness for our Airstream family of nurturing supporting friends!!

osolow 10-17-2008 09:58 PM

i would keep it even if you end up using it as a shed. it will be the coolest shed on the block and a sweet story to tell guest!

26.982 amu 10-19-2008 07:16 PM

Pictures of my Bolivar Ike Airstream disaster

3 Attachment(s)
Well, here they are. It looks OK on the outside, but the inside is disgusting. Notice that the Corps of Engineers came by and cut off my two beautiful 30# aluminum propane bottles--location unknown!

Eliminator46 10-19-2008 09:26 PM

WOW, what a DRAG. Hate to see that. Overall on the outside, it looks like it survived pretty well. I can imagine the inside. I would say Ike 1, AS 1. Tie. Could have been worse I guess. Good thing you were not in it. Keep your chin up.
Adam

aircooled4 10-20-2008 04:56 AM

Im really surprised that the curb side doesnt look worse than it does..