Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Looking for new or minty used Airstreams in Canada (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/looking-for-new-or-minty-used-airstreams-in-canada-45398.html)

debfit 09-27-2008 06:38 AM

Looking for new or minty used Airstreams in Canada

Hi,

My name is Deb Leblanc and I live on Salt Spring Island in BC, Canada. I've been a secret admirer of the Airstream for years - I just think they are exquisite
! I also, although some would think me a bit unusual, truly adore the inside 'dollhouse' feel of them. So much so that I have decided that I would like to live in an Airstream for a while. I quite enjoy living in small spaces but am not a city - living in a box i.e. condo, kinda girl. ;)

So now that I've made the official decision that I'm IN LOVE with the Airstream, I need to find one to purchase. I would love to find one that has a SoHo loft kinda feel :cool:

So I'm trying to locate a dealer in Victoria or Vancouver, BC that sell new or used - minty condition Airstreams.

I run Fitness Vacation Camps on Salt Spring and don't need much space to live in - I basically enjoy and live mostly in the great outdoors.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of dealers in Victoria or Vancouver, BC that carry the lovely Airstreams.

Here's my site if you feel like checking it out www.debfit.com

Thanks! Deb

63Silver 09-27-2008 07:16 AM

Debfit,
It's great to have you with us. Are you looking for an Airstream for year round living? It gets mighty cold in Canada during the winter... The new Bambi's and Flying Clouds have a real modern feel or you could always buy an older model and fix it to your own liking but it may require a lot of work. Be sure to check out the classifieds section and there are several new dealer trailers on Ebay. Good luck with your search.

63silver

94Tri 09-27-2008 08:22 AM

Welcome Debfit. Just be aware that Airstreams are addictive. I would search for an older model and customize to what you are looking for. It is a great experience.:)

Airhog1 09-27-2008 09:15 AM

Deb,

Here is a Canadian dealer...

Can-Am RV > Home

G

BIGED52 09-27-2008 09:37 AM

Deb, You need to go to Airstream.com and check the dealer locator for your area. The dealer Airhog1 listed above would be great if it wasn't 2000 miles from where you are. I bet if not a Canadien dealer is near you that you will find some good ones in the Washington state area. Good luck and keep us posted. Welcome to the group! Ed

73Overlander 09-27-2008 10:44 AM

Deb,

Don't worry about it being too cold for year round living in an Airstream on Salt Spring Island. Last winter I lived full time in my Airstream just south of Seattle. It was plenty warm and comfortable and I experienced no problems due to weather. Your climate on the island is I believe quite similar.

cameront120 09-27-2008 01:09 PM

Quite correct Cameron. Salt Spring has one of the mildest climates in the country. Deb, as I mentioned in my PM to you, the local dealer isn't worth your time. Last I was there they only had two units on their lot and that was at the height of RV season. I've never been impressed with the service in their facility and when I was asking about getting parts from them, the knowledge of Airstream products on the part of their counter staff was pretty horrid. I would seriously consider George Sutton in Oregon or Airstream of Spokane. I've heard very good things about both.

GStephens 09-27-2008 01:21 PM

Deb, click on the "Classified" tab at the top of the page. About the sixth listing down is a 2006 31 foot trailer which is located in Nelson, B. C. It is already outfitted with most everything one would need to use it in a colder climate and it is nearby. Check it out.
GStephens

Mike Leary 09-27-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameront120 (Post 621350)
I would seriously consider George Sutton in Oregon or Airstream of Spokane. I've heard very good things about both.

Yup, we used to have a great AS dealer in Tacoma & Boise; no more.
Salt Spring is nice, we came close to moving there years ago, I'm a Canuck.
Get a couple of liquid-filled radiators, they're quiet and efficient.

cameront120 09-27-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Leary (Post 621358)
Get a couple of liquid-filled radiators, they're quiet and efficient.

That's what I'll be using this winter in mine. I don't trust my old furnace as I'm not sure it was repaired during the recall.

Mike Leary 09-27-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameront120 (Post 621361)
I don't trust my old furnace as I'm not sure it was repaired during the recall.

Don't feel bad, we're getting ready to replace the second motor on a fresh Suburban. :(

73Overlander 09-27-2008 02:29 PM

Everyone is different of course, but for me the liquid filled radiator heaters were not the best choice. When I had an SOB MoHo they fit in quite well, but while offering much better living, the Airstream has less usable space, and I just couldn't seem to find a good out of the way place for the larger radiator heater.

I ended up with a very small ceramic type heater with a fan. This is very quiet and very small, plus I think that it does a good job helping control humidity. I do believe though that operating costs are higher with such a unit.

I did use this heater only as secondary heating, relying upon the furnace when I was actually in the Airstream.

Mike Leary 09-27-2008 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 73Overlander (Post 621368)
Everyone is different of course, but for me the liquid filled radiator heaters were not the best choice.
I ended up with a very small ceramic type heater with a fan..

Nahh, they're not that big, we do use the ceramics to blow air in the stern
to avoid mildew when we're up here.

kennyp315 09-27-2008 03:35 PM

Hey Deb, Sounds like you would be looking for a fairly clean used AS. With the prices of the new ones and our economy I would buy used. I found a fairly clean '65 Globetotter on The Vintage Airstream Club. Mine was located in Seattle, Washington. I have noticed that there seams to be quite a few trailers in Washington and Oregon. I trick is to buy one in fairly good condition for a reasonable price. I picked up mine four years ago for $4000. Good luck in your search. Kenny

Aage 09-27-2008 07:20 PM

Welcome to AirForum, Deb!

I wish you the best with the project you have decided to take on. If your plan really means that you will live in the trailer all year round, then I think that despite the relatively warm (for Canada) climate of Salt Spring, you are after all in Canada, so I would suggest reading some of the winter stories you can find here. I don't think the Airstream was really designed for wintering in the winters we can have here, but then, I don't normally live in the outdoors, as you mentioned you do. :D

Best of luck!

debfit 09-27-2008 07:29 PM

ohmygosh everyone is so nicely & helpful - THANK U!!!! from debfit

I am blown away by all the replies from everyone and all the great advice. I'll be kept busy for sure doing my (thanks to all-of-U) more narrowed down search for my Airstream.

It's really not that cold here in the Winters on Salt Spring. Quite lovely actually but soggy ... yes. Not that I mind. I'd much rather go for a run in the rain than icy cold temperatures any day.

I'm going to go thru all the responses right now to my post and see what I can find. I really don't mind spending the extra $ for new. It's more important to me to find the one that suits my personality best. And an Airstream that I don't have to restore. I wouldn't even know where to start to restore one, yet. Maybe one day, once I've had my (first) Airstream for a while and then I can think about getting one to restore.

OK - off now to do research. THANKS AGAIN! Y'all are so nice!!:blush:

debfit 09-27-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GStephens (Post 621353)
Deb, click on the "Classified" tab at the top of the page. About the sixth listing down is a 2006 31 foot trailer which is located in Nelson, B. C. It is already outfitted with most everything one would need to use it in a colder climate and it is nearby. Check it out.
GStephens

Hi! - Thanks for telling me about this but I can't find it?? I checked in 'Classifieds' and did a search for 2006. Hummm I just don't see it.

azflycaster 09-27-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debfit (Post 621491)
Hi! - Thanks for telling me about this but I can't find it?? I checked in 'Classifieds' and did a search for 2006. Hummm I just don't see it.

I think this is the one he was talking about.
Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - 2006 31' Classic 75th Warranty, Hensley, Solar, new Tires - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

millvalleyca 09-27-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster (Post 621495)

Wow Deb
Here's your life altering Airstream!
$79,500
Nice looking trailer with a nice truck AND the best hitch available...a HAHA!
Good luck
Dennis

TBRich 09-27-2008 10:23 PM

Deb... Welcome to the forums... Yes, it is a nice bunch of folks, isn't it? And they only get better. You'll find that out as you hang around and get to know them...

By the way...that 31' AS looks great...it could be just the one! Kinda like falling off a log.

debfit 01-06-2009 03:36 PM

1970 Land Yacht Airstream before & after pics

8 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone!

It's DEBFIT from Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada. Well I did it! Last time I was on here I was looking for a 'minty used Airstream'. And I found a 22' Land Yacht - a cute little gem on craiglsist. I have been spending the past 4 months giving her make-over.

Her name is Jewels and she's nearly finished! She is going to be my office~girly space to retreat to. Here's a few before & after pics that I thought you might like to take a peak at.

Not sure if I uploaded the photos correctly ... but if you would like to see more pics you may visit me on facebook where I've posted a bunch more and made them 'public' ... so you don't need to be a member of facebook to see them. My profile name is 'debfit' and you should be able to see all of them.

And a shout-out to Kristiana of Silver Trailer, my desk was inspired by hers.

Aage 01-06-2009 08:02 PM

Congrats on a wonderful make-over, Deb! So, does this mean that you're living in it now, too? Sure hope you didn't get the kind of snow they did in Victoria and Vancouver! :D

It looks grrrrrrrrrreat!!

gypsygirl1 01-07-2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airhog1 (Post 621285)
Deb,

Here is a Canadian dealer...

Can-Am RV > Home

G

Hi Deb -- This dealer is located just outside London, Ontario, and we just visited them last Oct. They used to be exclusively Airstream, but are now more into the newer big boxy 'Some Other Brand' trailers. He still carries some Airstreams, but not like he used to. He actually has a 1965 restored vintage unit in the showroom. Very nice.
We found our vintage beauty just sitting in the PO's yard, overgrown in cedar trees. Knocked on the door, and lo and behold, he was willing to sell it. After all, he was only using it for storage anyway. Since we purchased it, we have done it up 'our way'. Have fun in your search for your unit and enjoy! !

debfit 01-07-2009 07:08 AM

Thanks for the compliment! I love her!! And yes I will be living in her in the winter. I'm using a liquid-filled radiator type of heater (was a recommendation) from the this thread on the forum. That works really well for 'normal' winter temps. On the unseasonal colder days I've used another little heater.

In the spring I want to look into getting the airstream's propane heat up and running properly but right I had so much to take restoring and reno'ing to do that I decided to shelf that.

Sixty3TW4US 01-07-2009 09:43 AM

debfit: truly a job well done !! Looks great and i'm sure it fits you with all the nice changes. Congrats !!