Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Generators & Solar Power (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/)
-   -   Newbie Solar Power Question (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/newbie-solar-power-question-44903.html)

Toronto_Guy 09-03-2008 12:36 PM

Newbie Solar Power Question

Hello,

I tried doing a few searches, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 2008 23' Safari SE with a Go Power GP-RV80 installed.

My question is this: Will my battery still charge when I have my battery in "store" mode rather than "use" mode? The LCD on the regulator indicates that the battery is still charging even in "store" mode. However, after some fun and games with my black tank sensor I don't always trust these things. ;-)

To keep costs down, I have my AS stored 45 minutes from my home. My AS is currently in "store" mode. I'd rather not have to make the trip out there to flip a switch unless I have to. :-)

Area63 09-03-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toronto_Guy (Post 612091)
Hello,

I tried doing a few searches, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 2008 23' Safari SE with a Go Power GP-RV80 installed.

My question is this: Will my battery still charge when I have my battery in "store" mode rather than "use" mode? The LCD on the regulator indicates that the battery is still charging even in "store" mode. However, after some fun and games with my black tank sensor I don't always trust these things. ;-)

To keep costs down, I have my AS stored 45 minutes from my home. My AS is currently in "store" mode. I'd rather not have to make the trip out there to flip a switch unless I have to. :-)

The solar equipped Airstream trailers that I have worked on so far all had the solar system wired so that it would charge regardless of the store/use position.
This isn't the case for tow vehicle charging. The charge line is interrupted in the store mode.

Toronto_Guy 09-03-2008 01:11 PM

Thanks for the help!

Motoman 09-03-2008 07:31 PM

I'll second Area63 reply. It will charge the battery even when the battery cut-out relay for power is switched off, provided that the installer followed the same wiring scheme that Airstream uses, to connect the power cables from the controller to the battery buss ahead of the relay. One could just as easily wire it after the relay in which case it would not charge when the relay is switched off.

Airstream's method is preferred since it maintains the battery during storage provided it has a float mode in the charging cycle. It tried to look up the specifications but it turned out to be more of an advertisement. Did the kit come with any "technical" specifications that describe charging modes; bulk, absorption, float, etc.?

lewster 09-03-2008 08:25 PM

TG,

I 'third' what has been said above, but just to be certain, remove the Go-Power control panel and you will see 4 wires going to/from it........2 incoming from the solar array and 2 outgoing to the batterie(s). Trace the wires to the batteries, and they should terminate directly AT the batteries, or perhaps at the bus bar just ahead of the batteries.

This means that the array is charging the batteries directly and by-passing the solenoid that the Intellitec 'Store/Use' switch operates.:D