Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/)
-   -   Water pump pressure duration? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f445/water-pump-pressure-duration-4383.html)

Mr. Bliss 04-17-2003 10:04 AM

Water pump pressure duration?

On my newly acquired '57 the water pump (powered by DC) seems to take foreeeeeever to pressurize. Three minutes or so to generate only 2 lbs of pressure.

Is this normal?

Dave

Chas 04-17-2003 10:12 AM

No Dave, that is not normal.

If all the air has been purged, your pump is good and no leaks, suction or discharge lines, it should take less than five seconds for it to satisfy and shut off.

Chas

dmreilly10000 04-17-2003 10:15 AM

Does it have a pressurized system that doesn't use a pump, but a small compressor to "force" the water out of the faucets? Or is it a more modern type pump?

In my 1963 Overlander (now sold), it had a compressor. I don't know what originally came in my 1953 Cruiser, but it looks like it also had a pressurized system.

We need to know this to determine a solution to your problem.

Mr. Bliss 04-17-2003 10:40 AM

It has a 25 gallon horizontal holding tank, with a small compressor (which says to monitor oil...but probably has never been done, and I'm not sure where to fill it).

No other obvious leaks. Does this help?

Dave

dmreilly10000 04-17-2003 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Bliss
It has a 25 gallon horizontal holding tank, with a small compressor (which says to monitor oil...but probably has never been done, and I'm not sure where to fill it).

No other obvious leaks. Does this help?

Dave

Yes it does help. Your compressor is probably shot. Mine was. I would convert the system to a modern pump instead of fooling with the compressor.

Mr. Bliss 04-17-2003 02:44 PM

I was thinking this was the case. Any suggestions to make and mfr? Any notion for cost for such systems?

Dave

dmreilly10000 04-17-2003 02:55 PM

Here is a link for Camping World mail order:

https://www.campingworld.com/browse/c...D=137&subOf=13

The hard part (maybe not) is plumbing it in. You will also have to loosen or remove the filler pipe cap on the outside of the trailer so that air can vent into the system, (otherwise the pump will create a vacuum) or otherwise vent the tank.

trailertrash 04-19-2003 08:57 AM

Buy a Jabsco- I never buy anything from a camping store- they have the lowest quality and cheapest parts around. Try and crossover what your looking for with something from the yacht and marine industry. You'll pay a little more, but the results are well worth it.
I was in a delux camping store in Phoenix 2 days ago, and looked at their selection of pumps. All ShurFlo junk.
The average camper doesn't know the difference, and thats why companies like Terry have stayed in business and prospered. We own a better product, and should support it as such...
Try www.lewismarine.com

uwe 04-19-2003 10:08 AM

trailertrash,
I love that moniker, by the way....
I agree on the rv store junk. Camping world has a huge collection of Asian imported junk on their shelves. Of course there are a few quality US made items as well, but the majority is really cheesy.
I purchased some brass water fittings and lamps there before, none of which are with me any longer. The 3-way faucet adaptor I bought there flew apart after just a few minutes of service, and the water inline pressure regulator's treads are poorly cut, resulting in having to use pliers to put it on a faucet. You will find many of the same items in marine stores, but I do think that overall the marine item quaity is indeed better. Partially because boats have tighter liability clauses and have stricter safety regulations.

trailertrash 04-19-2003 12:10 PM

... I don't even buy the stuff that West Marine sells, unless I look it over VERY thoroughly, or know the brand and recognize the product as a quality one...
The "chain" concept has somewhat cheapened the boat market as well, so beware...
All it takes is for some of you guys to realize the difference, and you'll be buying from Lewis Marine for as many of your projects as possible.
The good thing about them is that they screen their products and reject any BS that may cause problems- for us and them.
I'm really fortunate- they're close enough that I can drive there- but check out their online catalog, and if you like what you see, call them and order their 1000 page printed one...

Mr. Bliss 04-21-2003 11:02 AM

Lewis Marine

Trailertrash....

How does one do business with these folks? Initial attempts via phone and web have not been too stellar.

The web address for sales@lewismarine.com does not exist. On the phone I was told that they do not do business with the public, only marinas, then was referred to a NY location, who told me the same. After some pleading, they gave me a local marina number.

Dave

trailertrash 04-21-2003 10:31 PM

Call them and tell them that you want to open a "50" account- its their level slightly above wholesale and they should sell you a catalog for about $10 plus shipping, and then set you up. They also have a retail store in Stuart Fl, so they aren't totally wholesale...