Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   New owners of a Arogsy 26' (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/new-owners-of-a-arogsy-26-a-41628.html)

Tom Sawyer 04-29-2008 02:35 PM

New owners of a Arogsy 26'

To All:

My wife and I have recently purchased a 76/77 Arogsy 26. We purchased the trailer before realizing how much info there is on the this site, oh well..

We have both worked for custom boat builders in Maine, cruised extensively from Canada to the Carib and thought this was the next thing to try and to see what is on land. Hopefully we will not have to be as concerned about weather windows.

The 26 appears to be in good shape, although I have removed the reefer, and replaced the wheel bearings and shocks. There is a leak around the door, which in the rain storm we are having today, is very obvious.

We have decided to try this unit out for a couple of days in May and see what is required to go long distances.

Having no experience in Travel Trailers, we started our search looking at everything new. And then one day I saw , this Argosy for sale, looked at it in single digit temps, crawled under it in the snow, made the offer and brought it home. We both love the looks, so much nicer than the new boxes on the market.

We have many questions, which I think can be answered in the forums; what I can't find, I will ask for help. Too bad boaters don't try this approach. We don't have a digital camera (or any camera) but I will try and borrow one from my daughter and send some photos.

Tom & Karol.. :flowers:

utee94 04-29-2008 02:40 PM

Welcome Tom & Karol, and congratulations on the new trailer.

There are actually some decent boating forums on the web, though none as friendly or helpful as THIS forum.

Good luck with the new rig-- the people around here love to see pictures, so post 'em if you've got 'em. :)

-Marcus

moosetags 04-29-2008 02:47 PM

Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Best of luck with your new baby.

We are heading to Maine in a couple of days. We plan on hitting Moosehead Lake and Baxter State Park.

bobfowler 04-29-2008 02:49 PM

You'll find that Airstreams (and Argosys) have a lot in common with boats. Whenever you buy anything for a boat, RV, or airplane, you can always expect to move the decimal point over to the right a notch or two on the price tag from where you might expect it to reside.:D

Seriously though, many of the materials used are similar, and most of the appliances are either the same or very similar.

Oh yes, another thing in common... THEY ALL LEAK!:lol:

utee94 04-29-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfowler
You'll find that Airstreams (and Argosys) have a lot in common with boats. Whenever you buy anything for a boat, RV, or airplane, you can always expect to move the decimal point over to the right a notch or two on the price tag from where you might expect it to reside.:D

Seriously though, many of the materials used are similar, and most of the appliances are either the same or very similar.

Oh yes, another thing in common... THEY ALL LEAK!:lol:

All boat owners know that a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.

So, what is exactly is an Airstream a hole in...? :)

flitzwhopper 04-29-2008 03:17 PM

Good choice!

Like you, we purchased our Argosy before discovering the forum. We were very lucky as we hope you are. One thing about the Argosys is that they have some of the innovations found in the Airstreams much earlier. We are particulary glad we have a camper with the big windows in the front.
We haven't encountered anything that has been a show stopper. The Airstream engineering has proven to be maintainable and very practical.
Have fun!