Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Tough choice: Airstream or Sailboat (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/tough-choice-airstream-or-sailboat-41369.html)

utahredrock 04-21-2008 10:17 AM

Shari

The VAC prez! Like that nautical themed airstream.

Jimandrod 04-21-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut
Here you go! The perfect trailer for you ~

Nautical Themed Airstream

If not for purchase...at least for ideas!

Shari :flowers:

:lol:LOL!!! Spoken like a true vintage fan! I love it!

Now... personally... if I could find one done like the Adirondack model, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Journalist 01-16-2009 08:24 AM

They don't call 'em Land Yachts for no reason!

Ganaraska 01-16-2009 08:54 AM

It seems we have a theme going here. If you don't have a strong preference either way the Airstream is definitely the better deal.

Should you miss the water you can tow your Airstream to the sea shore and camp at a marina and bum rides from your yacht owning friends. But they can't sail their boats to the mountains.

Around the camp grounds Airstream owners are more apt to be considered rich snobs than trailer trash.

Wonder what kind of answers you would get if you asked the same questions on a yachting BBS? lol.

funkill 01-16-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cracker (Post 551659)
Just a comment from a former native Floridian and boat owner. The cost of staying in marinas for any length of time - or even overnighting - has become astronomical! Boat slips are being bought up for prices ranging well into the $250,000 range and beyond. Many of the purchasers are yacht builders who don't have any place to put their completed yachts until sold. The old days of Ma and Pa floating cottages are almost a thing of the past - and anchoring out gets old - regardless of how romantic and peacful it may sound initially. Unfortunately, a non-trailerable boat becomes a real liability unless you own a waterfront home. Also, because the Ma and Pa boats have all but disappeared, the only boats the marinas want to work on are the very expensive playtoys of the rich. That means you'll pay the going rate - even if you own a 40-year-old Chris Craft or Columbia sailboat that's seen better days! The Airstream can be parked - and with minor attention - and very little cost - it'll wait patiently until you're ready to take off on the next trip. I love boats - and I've had my share of all sizes and types - but I'm now down to a 14' aluminum skiff and 9.9 hp outboard, plus an Old Town canoe.

That's what I think about trailer courts. Going price for central/south FL seems to be about $800/mo plus power! And that's for "low season". I was shocked. :blink: Thankfully, I found a few places to store the A/S (not live) under $40/mo. Whew.

Laura

76sovereign 01-16-2009 10:00 AM

I find it very hard to park a sailboat at a campsite.:lol:

kposey 01-16-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithC (Post 551713)
Kalttu,
Geeze Lousie, why the heck....what the heck....how the heck....did you get it done. Are there any photo's of the work in-progress? If this is photoshop your a real pro.

That's not photoshopped! It was at the Falluminum Rally in 07. It is sharp!

whitsend 01-16-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don't Panic (Post 551669)
I mean absolutely no offense here...Do any of you full-time AS dwellers ever take any flak such as "trailer park "humour...truly- I mean no disrespect.

Don't Panic - I'd suggest you "Don't Worry". Some trailer park humor is just that, and as with Aggie jokes (as in Texas A&M University), few enjoy a good Aggie (trailer park) put down joke more than an Aggie (fulltimer / Airstreamer). For the most part they are savored & passed around. Hell, my own daughter refers to me as her "Official Texas Trailer Trash Dad" to any & all who will listen. She 'gets' travel & camping but thinks Airstreams are just too over blown and my having 2 something for me to speak to a shrink about. But she's only 37, so she's got some time to wise up yet.

As for comments from the Great Unwashed who just don't get it, no, it doesn't bother me. Pontifications from the uneducated (on any topic) are just something to ignore. My solution was to just divorce the pontificator (who would rant on all things fun), and thankfully that got rid of her opinionated mother :devil:. Never made a better decision nor felt better. And, I didn't have to deal with my health insurance company!!

Just buy the Airstream best suited to your plans and enjoy!! Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead :p.

76sovereign 01-17-2009 08:47 AM

I love it!

76sovereign 01-17-2009 08:48 AM

What a nice set up. Very nice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsman (Post 552285)
We're thinking along these lines. Prestige 39' Cat... and keeping the Airstream

Journalist 01-20-2009 07:41 PM

You could always shop around for a small ferry boat or barge and strap the whole rig down for those marine excursions. I've seen the barge thing done with a half million dollar Class A motorhome. Believe it or not, it actually seemed like the ultimate river camping setup.

searcher 01-20-2009 08:04 PM

I have had both at the same time. When we went cruising and lived on the boat, 3 out of seven days at sea were LOUSY. Never had enough fresh water, pulling into a marina after dark and looking for a slip FORGET IT. When we left the boat (34 ft ) it was like dying and going to heaven when we went into a 32 ft AS. The ocean looks much better from shore, if you are that close to the beach in your boat, you are in the surf.

jdalrymple 01-20-2009 08:15 PM

I think it was Mark Twain, who said being on a sailboat is like being in jail, but with a d@#n good chance of drowning.

A very good accountant once told me if it flies or floats, rent it.

An Airstream is my choice.

Silverwanabe 01-20-2009 08:18 PM

I grew up with my family having power boats and RV's.

I would take the RV lifestyle over boating in a flash.

See More, Do More,
Go Airstream...:wally:

PennyandJoey 01-20-2009 08:37 PM

Why not get an Airstream and just find a friend with a boat?

AIR-Quarius 01-25-2009 09:40 AM

get a airstream and then you can go on around to a lakeside place...theres a sweet one in west Lake charles la. that has boat docks and everything, you'll be surrounded bya nice mix of cajuns and americans and food...I say get the airstream....how long have to driven a truck?

craftsman 01-25-2009 10:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
How about both? Here's a Nor Sea 27. A trailerable "pocket cruiser" built strong enough for ocean crossings and stll big enough to live aboard.

jimmini 01-25-2009 11:26 AM

Way's

3 Attachment(s)
:lol:You can try your SOB motor home.
:brows: Your sail boat,You can boondock with it in Quartzsite AZ in the winter.
:blush: Your pontoon boat with a Airstream?

AIR-Quarius 01-27-2009 04:18 PM

Well, I can out do that....I plan to build the first areodynamic flying pontoon airstream mini-bus.....with booster rockets and a flying banner that will say GOODYEAR EAT YER HEART OUT! Ha hA!

Journalist 01-28-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhawkerII (Post 660788)
Well, I can out do that....I plan to build the first areodynamic flying pontoon airstream mini-bus.....with booster rockets and a flying banner that will say GOODYEAR EAT YER HEART OUT! Ha hA!

But can it pull a skier?:lol: