Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Tough choice: Airstream or Sailboat (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/tough-choice-airstream-or-sailboat-41369.html)

Don't Panic 04-19-2008 05:43 PM

Tough choice: Airstream or Sailboat

Hi,
I'm a full-time truck driver...so I currently live in an 18-wheeler.
I've come to the conclusion that the house will be sold because I'm rarely home to use it and the simpler lifestyle in the truck has really grown on me.

Now I have to decide between "fulltiming" an Airstream or "liveaboard" on a sailboat.

The travel and camping or sailing are actually only bonuses to me...my main goal is to escape the over-materialistic traps of the 'burbs and get back to basics in a lower cost, more self-sufficient situation.

If I do go AS, I imagine access to bike and hike trails, campfires and such would be wonderful...

Oh the agony of choice!

Any one here split their time between both?, Any advise as to models better for full-timers? (do any AS's float? haha)

Looks like a terrific forum, looking foward to learning alot here.
Take Care.

Boondocker 04-19-2008 05:45 PM

I have had both. To me it would be an easy choice get an airstream

Don't Panic 04-19-2008 06:00 PM

Gen-
Thanks, I saw your AS at the beach photo (cool)...maybe I can have the best of both while camping surf-side.

fastrob 04-19-2008 06:09 PM

Why Not Both?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don't Panic
Now I have to decide between "fulltiming" an Airstream or "liveaboard" on a sailboat.
Oh the agony of choice!.................

Get rid of the house, I agree.
Keep the options open, do not spend much money on either.
Boats and trailers are piling up at dealers and repo lots.
Wait for blood in the streets, prices are falling.
Keep working, cash talks loudest.

R

85MH325 04-19-2008 06:12 PM

Having had several of both, I'd opt for the boat m'self... I love the sailing lifestyle. However, one MUST remember the definition of a sailboat: "A fiberglass hole in the water into which one pours money." :lol:

Roger

vswingfield 04-19-2008 06:14 PM

Welcome

Another consideration is that, under normal conditions, Airstreams are unlikely to sink.

Safari-Rick 04-19-2008 06:17 PM

I've also had both and then some .....

Had a power boat when the kids were small and went to all the lakes and ocean. Did overnighters. Then sold the Powerboat and bought a Sailboat. Did the ocean racing thingi and went to Catalina Island every now and then. and then got tired of "pouring" money into a a "slip" and cleaning, and wear and tear, and cleaning, and so on and so on.

Kids are all grown, got tired of going to the same places with the "boats" !
With the Airstream we can go anywhere in the U.S. Canada, and (Mexico, if we are crazy enough to do it)! And.... not to say too much about "fuel" for the boat. $$ And would you really use the boat more then an Airstream?

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

R/
Safari-Rick

Cracker 04-19-2008 06:24 PM

Just a comment from a former native Floridian and boat owner. The cost of staying in marinas for any length of time - or even overnighting - has become astronomical! Boat slips are being bought up for prices ranging well into the $250,000 range and beyond. Many of the purchasers are yacht builders who don't have any place to put their completed yachts until sold. The old days of Ma and Pa floating cottages are almost a thing of the past - and anchoring out gets old - regardless of how romantic and peacful it may sound initially. Unfortunately, a non-trailerable boat becomes a real liability unless you own a waterfront home. Also, because the Ma and Pa boats have all but disappeared, the only boats the marinas want to work on are the very expensive playtoys of the rich. That means you'll pay the going rate - even if you own a 40-year-old Chris Craft or Columbia sailboat that's seen better days! The Airstream can be parked - and with minor attention - and very little cost - it'll wait patiently until you're ready to take off on the next trip. I love boats - and I've had my share of all sizes and types - but I'm now down to a 14' aluminum skiff and 9.9 hp outboard, plus an Old Town canoe.

overlander63 04-19-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vswingfield
Another consideration is that, under normal conditions, Airstreams are unlikely to sink.

You HAD to bring that up!...
I've also owned both, and have found that:
If an Airstream springs a leak, you put a pan under the leak and patch it when it stops raining.
If a boat springs a leak, it could be either bail or sink.
I'd rather have a leaky Airstream than a leaky boat.

Don't Panic 04-19-2008 06:50 PM

So many helpful thoughts-thanx
The rigors of full-time life on a boat do concern me.
...but , and I mean absolutely no offense here...
Do any of you full-time AS dwellers ever take any flak such as "trailer park" humour...truly- I mean no disrespect.

urbanfood 04-19-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85MH325
However, one MUST remember the definition of a sailboat: "A fiberglass hole in the water into which one pours money." :lol:

then i would say the defintion of an airstream: "An aluminum hole in the backyard into which one pours money." :D

...... gladly i might add

overlander63 04-19-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

...but , and I mean absolutely no offense here...
Do any of you full-time AS dwellers ever take any flak such as "trailer park" humour...truly- I mean no disrespect.

We live in an RV park, and when people ask, and find out why we are living in ours, there's been nothing else said. The biggest thing I have noticed to head off any comments about trailer trash, is to keep the campsite and trailer clean and neat. There are some trailers that seem to have nothing but the dirt holding them together, and they are the ones that get the flak.
BTW, you're not a Douglas Adams fan, per chance?

n2916s 04-19-2008 07:04 PM

As a lifelong Miamian, might I point out that when Jim Cantori (of the Weather Channel) opines that Hurricane Caligula is upon us and we are all going to die, the choice is easy; sailboat @ 6 knots or Airstream at 50 knots....

mike

Boondocker 04-19-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

I might if:
1) I was a type inclined to take flak

or

2) was the least concerned with the opinion of the herd.

To quote the great philospher Mark Twain : "Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain't that a big enough majority in any town?"
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

klattu 04-19-2008 07:10 PM

Get Both

https://www.airforums.com/attachments...8/DSCF2271.JPG

https://www.airforums.com/attachments...8/DSCF2265.JPG

Don't Panic 04-19-2008 07:11 PM

Overlander63-
Thanx for the reply.
Not that the general public's opinion rates overly high in my decision process-
but I know there seems to be an unfairly positive reaction to the "yachtclub" vs the "campground"-
I don't think that way- after all, I live in a truck!

And yes, HUGE Douglas Adams fan.

RedSHED 04-19-2008 07:16 PM

It seems unnatural for me to say, but Airstream.

Although...
There are small yacht clubs all over in the Midwest... Maybe a modest house in a rural area or a smaller town.
Some of the locals complain, but there are a number of houses in our town listed in today's paper between 75-100k. Not necessarily in the best neighborhood, but you can walk down the street 24/7/365

So... why did I say yacht club? We did scow sailing until babysitting became kind of a big deal. These are cheap, fast, and athletic enough to make a person want to stay in good physical condition. Additionally, between the local club and fleet regattas, there is a strong socialization aspect and I've always found that important from a quality of life standpoint. The least expensive clubs I know of sail out of state parks and run around $20 per year for associate membership (no votes, no trophies, but can participate in races).

It's a way to get an adrenaline hit every now and then, and I miss those from time to time.

Don't Panic 04-19-2008 07:20 PM

Klattu-
WOW!!!

P.S.
Barada Nikto

thecatsandi 04-19-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Looks like a terrific forum, looking foward to learning alot here.
Take Care.

Do you want to spend more time in a wheeled vehicle or on the water?

Silverwanabe 04-19-2008 08:12 PM

I've done the boat thing also,
I had a 22ft Cruisers Inc Barnergat.

The money I spent on the boat and restoration costs, I could have had a real nice 32ft Airstream Excella 1000.:(

Go airstream,:)

Only an Airstream is built like an Airstream....
Only an Airstream offers the Wally Byam way of life...

I sound like a commercial:D

Jim Clark 04-19-2008 08:31 PM

I have both, if I had to have only one it would be the Airstream not as weather dependent as a sailboat. People who think Yacht Clubs are more prestigious than RV parks have never belong to the Yacht Clubs I did.

BTW my sailboat was totaled by Katrina, we evacuated in the Airstream. Go to the mac site listed below and look at the video and you will see how a sailboat may enhance your sense of adventure.

KeithC 04-19-2008 08:39 PM

Kalttu,
Geeze Lousie, why the heck....what the heck....how the heck....did you get it done. Are there any photo's of the work in-progress? If this is photoshop your a real pro.

85MH325 04-19-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Overlander63-
Thanx for the reply.
Not that the general public's opinion rates overly high in my decision process-
but I know there seems to be an unfairly positive reaction to the "yachtclub" vs the "campground"-
I don't think that way- after all, I live in a truck!

And yes, HUGE Douglas Adams fan.

I've been welcomed by 150' yacht owners in my 24' sailboat and scorned by SOB owners in my Airstream. I was amazed at how many folks thought I had to be a millionaire to own both: a $6500 '84 Capital Yachts Neptune 24 sailboat and a $2000 '70 Safari. The bottom line is that I've enjoyed both lifestyles tremendously. I think that were I to do it over again, I'd have kept my '85 325 moho and replaced the 454 with an improbability drive... the Heart of Gold!

Rog

CaddyGrn 04-19-2008 09:41 PM

Tough choice. We've had both. Loved our sailboat... and the wind power is free.... I would compromise. Buy a nice Airstream to live in, and a small boat to dink around in! :) You can then have the best of both worlds.

With either a boat or an Airstream you can find places to live that aren't horribly expensive ~ one that fits a retirement lifestyle and doesn't wipe out your pocketbook. Hey give it a try, if you don't like it, change!

Have fun deciding!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson

ROBERTSUNRUS 04-19-2008 10:17 PM

:) Hi, I'm not a water person so I would obviously take the Airstream. If I fell out of my Airstream I could get up and walk back in; If I fell out of a boat, I would sink and drown. But, then again, some of you may be able to walk on water.

JimGolden 04-19-2008 10:39 PM

Trimarans

Check out some of the trimaran designs, like the Ian Farrier designed F-27 or F-31. They are essentially planing hull sail boats that use outriggers, called "aka's" to keep from rolling over (think of the "Waterworld" boat) rather than a deep keel. You can fold the aka's in and store the boat on a trailer, so you don't have to have a permanent slip. They are fast too; I saw a picture of an F-27 or F-31 (27' and 31' length respectively) pulling a water skier UNDER SAIL! Now that is cool. But anyway, they're wicked cool boats, very fast, and you don't have to pay for a slip if you don't want to.

I saw one of the "Waterworld" boats (there were two built, Jeanneau transoceanic racing trimarans....will do 45 knots) for sale for $30,000. Seemed unreal in that the boat cost ten times that new. But being 60' long and 45' wide, it took two slips just to store it, and it has broken up owner after owner who's had it just for storage.

The sister ship to these was called "Lakota" and was owned by the famous baloon racer and adventure guy; although I forget his name. Do a search on Lakota and you'll find it.

Multihulls rock!

Good luck!

Ahab 04-20-2008 08:38 AM

Having had both and being an avid sailor I'd have to vote for the AS.:o

Luckyducks 04-20-2008 09:21 AM

I currently have both but following your question about living in one or the other, I'd go with an Airstream. Sailboat slip fees, insurance costs, worries about hurricanes, and maintenance costs will all push you toward an Airstream. In addition to living in one or the other, it also depends on your real interests - do you want to camp and see America or do you want the nautical life and what that brings. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I love both.

Jimandrod 04-20-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Oh the agony of choice!

Choice? What choice? Go with the AS

The Rod half of Jimandrod used to live on a 42ft tri cabin cruiser. He still says that the happiest 2 days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy it and the day they sell it.

Personally, if I were meant to live on the water I would have been born with gills and fins. Boats are also outrageously expensive to maintain.

However - I still know some people who live aboard one and they LOVE it!

dick&claire 04-20-2008 10:58 AM

We just sold our Grand Banks 36' trawler and bought a 27' Safari Airstream with a Chevy 2500 6.7L diesel.

We're going from Cape Cod to Boseman for the International rally and will cover 3500 miles one-way. in the Chevy/Airstream we will average 12 mpg @ ~$4.50 per gal (I hope) which will cost about $1300. The trip will take 14 days traveling at 40-60 mph for 5-6 hours per day, pretty relaxed.
If I took the Grand Banks on a similar trip, I'd travel at 9-10 knots burning 14 gals of diesel per hour, a total of 4900 gals which would cost $22,000.
Despite the cost of diesel, land travel has a clear advantage.

Further, stopping every night at a campground will cost $10-$40 per night with full facilities most nights. Marinas for the trawler charge $2.50-$3.00 per foot per night for a cost of $90-$108 plus $15 per night for 50 amp electricity.

It will take 14 days by Airstream to get to Bozeman so the budget is ~$500 for campgrounds. By boat the trip would take 60-70 days at the same relaxed pace so the budget would be $7000 for marinas.

Should I tell you about the $20,000 that it cost to replace the fuel tanks on the trawler so that it could pass a marine survey prior to selling? Then there is the 17 quarts of oil for each engine every 200 hours of engine time, to name only one of many maintenance expenses.

Is my math fuzzy? Or did I make a good decision to get out of boating and into an Airstream?

overlander63 04-20-2008 11:02 AM

It's kind of tough sailing a boat to Wyoming...
Of course, it's tough towing the Airstream to Jamaica.

RedSHED 04-20-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimandrod
...the happiest 2 days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy it and the day they sell it. ...

I know we're talking about live-aboards, but I was a little worried when we bought a Sunfish, and kind of sad the day I sold it a couple years later.

I think I made a couple hundred on it too. Neat boat. Lots of fun to race.

Maybe again in a couple years... See what kinds of things the kids like by then. BTW, we used to put it on the roof of the Expedition as we towed the SOB. It was a one person job to get it 6+ feet in the air, although I was usually a little sweaty by the time I was done. Not scary at all.

romap 04-20-2008 02:00 PM

We had a 26' SeaRay cruiser. Dock fees, maintenance, expense to operate, hauling, storage, launching and on and on. We traded it in for our Airstream, need I say more. Boating is fun though, we have a 15' boat that satisifies our nautical yearnings.

Ron

vswingfield 04-20-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63
You HAD to bring that up!...
I've also owned both, and have found that:
If an Airstream springs a leak, you put a pan under the leak and patch it when it stops raining.
If a boat springs a leak, it could be either bail or sink.
I'd rather have a leaky Airstream than a leaky boat.

My brother owns a 35’ Mahogany Chris-Craft that I have never seen. I have seen the engines, though. They are in his shop waiting for a rebuild after it sank in its slip 3 or 4 Christmases ago. The interior is a total loss, too.

I have spent several Thanksgiving weekends in his 32’ Excella, though. I know which one he gets more good from.

Don't Panic 04-20-2008 08:21 PM

All these responses have really given me alot to think about- thanx to all.
BTW, I have decided on the AS...maybe nautical-theme decor!

Toldfield 04-20-2008 11:09 PM

We joined a sailing club. The AS is in the driveway and all of the boats are in slips from Ventura to San Diego. The driveway is in the process of being paid for along with the house and rest of the stuff on the property and we only pay for the sailboats when we use one of them. As much as I would like to own another boat, this is turning out to be a very good arrangement. We don't worry too much about hurricanes either way.

Aria 04-21-2008 07:40 AM

Sailboat or Airstream

We have a sailboat an inboard boat and an Airstream.. Our vote is definitely for an Airstream.
By now it looks like you have made your decision.No matter where or how you live. ENJOY your choice or make a change.

craftsman 04-21-2008 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We're thinking along these lines. Prestige 39' Cat... and keeping the Airstream

utahredrock 04-21-2008 08:13 AM

Responding to your inquiry about the trailer trash concern . . . though I think it was a tongue-in-cheek comment . . . .

Embrace you inner trailer trash! You'll be surprised at the diversity of us trailer trash folk. Sure many of us are poor white trash, but even within that world there is so much to learn and we have so much to offer!

Being trailer trash in an Airstream also has the coolness factor that a boat, as cool as it might be, could never match.

; )

InsideOut 04-21-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

BTW, I have decided on the AS...maybe nautical-theme decor!

Here you go! The perfect trailer for you ~

Nautical Themed Airstream

If not for purchase...at least for ideas!

Shari :flowers:

utahredrock 04-21-2008 10:17 AM

Shari

The VAC prez! Like that nautical themed airstream.

Jimandrod 04-21-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut
Here you go! The perfect trailer for you ~

Nautical Themed Airstream

If not for purchase...at least for ideas!

Shari :flowers:

:lol:LOL!!! Spoken like a true vintage fan! I love it!

Now... personally... if I could find one done like the Adirondack model, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Journalist 01-16-2009 08:24 AM

They don't call 'em Land Yachts for no reason!

Ganaraska 01-16-2009 08:54 AM

It seems we have a theme going here. If you don't have a strong preference either way the Airstream is definitely the better deal.

Should you miss the water you can tow your Airstream to the sea shore and camp at a marina and bum rides from your yacht owning friends. But they can't sail their boats to the mountains.

Around the camp grounds Airstream owners are more apt to be considered rich snobs than trailer trash.

Wonder what kind of answers you would get if you asked the same questions on a yachting BBS? lol.

funkill 01-16-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cracker (Post 551659)
Just a comment from a former native Floridian and boat owner. The cost of staying in marinas for any length of time - or even overnighting - has become astronomical! Boat slips are being bought up for prices ranging well into the $250,000 range and beyond. Many of the purchasers are yacht builders who don't have any place to put their completed yachts until sold. The old days of Ma and Pa floating cottages are almost a thing of the past - and anchoring out gets old - regardless of how romantic and peacful it may sound initially. Unfortunately, a non-trailerable boat becomes a real liability unless you own a waterfront home. Also, because the Ma and Pa boats have all but disappeared, the only boats the marinas want to work on are the very expensive playtoys of the rich. That means you'll pay the going rate - even if you own a 40-year-old Chris Craft or Columbia sailboat that's seen better days! The Airstream can be parked - and with minor attention - and very little cost - it'll wait patiently until you're ready to take off on the next trip. I love boats - and I've had my share of all sizes and types - but I'm now down to a 14' aluminum skiff and 9.9 hp outboard, plus an Old Town canoe.

That's what I think about trailer courts. Going price for central/south FL seems to be about $800/mo plus power! And that's for "low season". I was shocked. :blink: Thankfully, I found a few places to store the A/S (not live) under $40/mo. Whew.

Laura

76sovereign 01-16-2009 10:00 AM

I find it very hard to park a sailboat at a campsite.:lol:

kposey 01-16-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithC (Post 551713)
Kalttu,
Geeze Lousie, why the heck....what the heck....how the heck....did you get it done. Are there any photo's of the work in-progress? If this is photoshop your a real pro.

That's not photoshopped! It was at the Falluminum Rally in 07. It is sharp!

whitsend 01-16-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don't Panic (Post 551669)
I mean absolutely no offense here...Do any of you full-time AS dwellers ever take any flak such as "trailer park "humour...truly- I mean no disrespect.

Don't Panic - I'd suggest you "Don't Worry". Some trailer park humor is just that, and as with Aggie jokes (as in Texas A&M University), few enjoy a good Aggie (trailer park) put down joke more than an Aggie (fulltimer / Airstreamer). For the most part they are savored & passed around. Hell, my own daughter refers to me as her "Official Texas Trailer Trash Dad" to any & all who will listen. She 'gets' travel & camping but thinks Airstreams are just too over blown and my having 2 something for me to speak to a shrink about. But she's only 37, so she's got some time to wise up yet.

As for comments from the Great Unwashed who just don't get it, no, it doesn't bother me. Pontifications from the uneducated (on any topic) are just something to ignore. My solution was to just divorce the pontificator (who would rant on all things fun), and thankfully that got rid of her opinionated mother :devil:. Never made a better decision nor felt better. And, I didn't have to deal with my health insurance company!!

Just buy the Airstream best suited to your plans and enjoy!! Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead :p.

76sovereign 01-17-2009 08:47 AM

I love it!

76sovereign 01-17-2009 08:48 AM

What a nice set up. Very nice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsman (Post 552285)
We're thinking along these lines. Prestige 39' Cat... and keeping the Airstream

Journalist 01-20-2009 07:41 PM

You could always shop around for a small ferry boat or barge and strap the whole rig down for those marine excursions. I've seen the barge thing done with a half million dollar Class A motorhome. Believe it or not, it actually seemed like the ultimate river camping setup.

searcher 01-20-2009 08:04 PM

I have had both at the same time. When we went cruising and lived on the boat, 3 out of seven days at sea were LOUSY. Never had enough fresh water, pulling into a marina after dark and looking for a slip FORGET IT. When we left the boat (34 ft ) it was like dying and going to heaven when we went into a 32 ft AS. The ocean looks much better from shore, if you are that close to the beach in your boat, you are in the surf.

jdalrymple 01-20-2009 08:15 PM

I think it was Mark Twain, who said being on a sailboat is like being in jail, but with a d@#n good chance of drowning.

A very good accountant once told me if it flies or floats, rent it.

An Airstream is my choice.

Silverwanabe 01-20-2009 08:18 PM

I grew up with my family having power boats and RV's.

I would take the RV lifestyle over boating in a flash.

See More, Do More,
Go Airstream...:wally:

PennyandJoey 01-20-2009 08:37 PM

Why not get an Airstream and just find a friend with a boat?

AIR-Quarius 01-25-2009 09:40 AM

get a airstream and then you can go on around to a lakeside place...theres a sweet one in west Lake charles la. that has boat docks and everything, you'll be surrounded bya nice mix of cajuns and americans and food...I say get the airstream....how long have to driven a truck?

craftsman 01-25-2009 10:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
How about both? Here's a Nor Sea 27. A trailerable "pocket cruiser" built strong enough for ocean crossings and stll big enough to live aboard.

jimmini 01-25-2009 11:26 AM

Way's

3 Attachment(s)
:lol:You can try your SOB motor home.
:brows: Your sail boat,You can boondock with it in Quartzsite AZ in the winter.
:blush: Your pontoon boat with a Airstream?

AIR-Quarius 01-27-2009 04:18 PM

Well, I can out do that....I plan to build the first areodynamic flying pontoon airstream mini-bus.....with booster rockets and a flying banner that will say GOODYEAR EAT YER HEART OUT! Ha hA!

Journalist 01-28-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhawkerII (Post 660788)
Well, I can out do that....I plan to build the first areodynamic flying pontoon airstream mini-bus.....with booster rockets and a flying banner that will say GOODYEAR EAT YER HEART OUT! Ha hA!

But can it pull a skier?:lol:

kennyp315 01-28-2009 03:33 PM

tough choice: Airstream or sailboat

I am an avid sailor and love boats. Having said that I also love my '65 Globetrotter that I have made to feel like a sailboat inside. It is featured in the latest issue of Airstream Life. You can rent a sailboat and have all the pleasure without all the upkeep and slip fees. You can't do that with an AS. I would not trade my AS for any "hole in the water". I hope that this might help you. Kenny

65CV 01-28-2009 05:49 PM

Omyc

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennyandJoey (Post 658652)
Why not get an Airstream and just find a friend with a boat?

I have a number of friends who believe this is absolutely the way to go.

They're members of OMYC -- other man's yacht club.

John

paperwork 02-19-2009 11:18 PM

Airstream or Sailboat,
Either, Both, one or none, it's whatever you can or want to make it.
I once read on a table mat in Banff Ab. Canada
"man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest"
We're very adaptable creatures us humans. Good luck to all endeavors
To Craftsman, Your boat has nice lines, very nice

OnSafari 02-20-2009 11:05 AM

We have one of each and couldn't live without either one. However, we aren't living on either of them. We just picked up the Safari 17' Sport and also have a new Sanibel by International Marine (that's ours in their photos with the dark navy hull and burgandy interior) Sanibel 18' sitting in Dana Point Harbor, Dana Point, CA.

Great option to either go camping or sailing on the weekends.

Media DV8 03-07-2009 03:58 PM

Depends on your bank account/future earnings. Boats LOOSE value - Airstreams maintain or gain in value. Do the math. Boats can capsize, get held up by pirates, require MUCH more skill to navigate, sink and kill you, get you sea-sick, need regular barnacle/bottom cleaning, are best in sunny weather, must be kept in a slip (rent), prone to guests and pets disappearing overboard, have several steps to climb up and down each time u enter, yada, yada yada. You can always RENT a Sailboat, but when you get your airstream, customized to YOUR spec's, she will ALWAYS be yours. You can't rent that.

navyeod 03-07-2009 07:51 PM

After owning a ton of boats power and sail. AIRSTREAM