Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Am I an AS snob? Are you?! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/am-i-an-as-snob-are-you-41134.html)

Roamin Cat 04-10-2008 06:32 AM

Am I an AS snob? Are you?!

So, we picked up our AS and drove a little ways to a nice campground to spend the night and try everything out. We had had a shakedown night on Colonial's lot, which helped, but we were worried we would forget things like how to work the awnings, hooking and unhooking from the jack, etc., and wanted to practice.

We pulled in and the first thing we saw as another AS! We were SO psyched! Keep driving, looped around, and saw two SOBs in the two spots after us. Which means they were between us and the other AS.

Well, as we set up, we kept talking about how cool it would be to go on down the other AS and say hi, and wondering if they would mind, etc. They ended up beating us to it, and invited us over for a tour (!), desert and a movie by the fire! Very nice setup, nice people, good food. Fun :D

But, here is the thing. I noticed that I had no desire to run next door to the two SOBs and say hi. I actually walked by them several times going between the two AS. The two groups in the SOBs hung out together, I noticed, and neither came by to say hi to us either. We were all oriented away from the street, so it is not like they were sitting right there waving as we ignored them :)

So, even though in our past experience is with tenting or using KOA cabins we always kept to ourselves, for the most part, this was different. There were several other families camped out for the evening, and I only wanted to go meet (and see!) the AS and her people.

And I NEVER would have imagined getting excited about a rally or caravan with a bunch of random RVers, but I am psyched about these things when made up of other AS owners. I know you are all cool and interesting and that we have at least one thing in common!

So, AM I an AS snob?

Are you? :wally:

Do you care? :) Just wondering!

RIstream'n 04-10-2008 06:37 AM

I think we're becoming one.....and no we don't care!!! Sounds like a good thing!!!! Sounds like you have a great AS and TV. Enjoy

Silver Threads 04-10-2008 07:09 AM

I am an AS snob. I think it is because you see the SOB's everywhere you turn, but it is rare to see an AS. AS people seem to be more friendly. for the most part, imo. To me, most SOB owners are snobs. When we were in a campground last year that was packed, only one family even spoke to us. We could here people say, look at that old thing. That irritated me. I would like to see one of the white boxes after 30 or 40 yrs look as good or still be on the road after that long!

centennialman 04-10-2008 07:13 AM

I have only had someone thumb their nose at me once in a campground. Interestingly enough though, I noticed that they spent the entire weekend in their SOB watching TV, with the curtains pulled tightly across the windows while people kept knocking at my door to ask for a tour of the "old" trailer. Hmmmmm....who was the social one?:wally:

utee94 04-10-2008 07:14 AM

I'm an AS snob and I've never even owned one. :)

But, when we had our firstborn 6 months ago and I told my wife that I wanted to switch from tent camping to trailer camping, I never even considered an SOB. I've always been drawn to the classic lines of the AS, and it's the only one I want. Call that what you will... :innocent:

DEITZ645 04-10-2008 07:20 AM

Snobs In A Way

Well I consider our family as a little bit AS snobish, but with a good nature. Lots of times while out camping we get the usual "do they still make those" and most people are really interested in the AS name and the trialers, but the expense of the new ones get them down. Then we try to educate them that they could probably get a used model for the same price as their SOB that they could probably pass down to their children and grand children. I always carry a stack of AS catalogs / brochures and always offer one to our inquisitive visitors. Always trying to widen the circle:D.

Roamin Cat 04-10-2008 08:24 AM

Funny, if you heard me saying, "Look at that old thing", it would be preceded by a "Wow!" and followed by an exclamation mark! Vintage is SO cool! :wally:

Carl and Elaine, great idea of carrying extra brochures around. I'll have to ask Patrick to send me some with his card attached :)

thecatsandi 04-10-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat

We pulled in and the first thing we saw as another AS! We were SO psyched! Keep driving, looped around, and saw two SOBs in the two spots after us. Which means they were between us and the other AS.

So, AM I an AS snob?

I don't consider myself an AS snob. I always get excited when I see someone who shares the same interest as me.

ScottW 04-10-2008 09:38 AM

Snob?...well maybe. I would prefer the term 'elitist'. How's that?

Royce 04-10-2008 09:47 AM

I prefer aficionado, that way I can visit with anyone and have an opportunity to learn something. Unless of course the curmudgeon side comes out, then I like to just sit quietly, and cogitate , preferably stream side.:D

jcanavera 04-10-2008 10:45 AM

You really had a common connection with the other person, which is not being a snob. I used to own a Hi-Lo travel trailer. You don't see a lot of those around. I can tell you that the Hi-Lo owners, while not totally like us Airstream folks, do seek each other out when we are in the same camp ground. It's really the uniqueness of our trailers that give us that bond.

Now fast forward from the Hi-Lo to the SOB. For 3 years I had that, I never had a person come by, stop by or say anything about my vehicle.

So snobbish, not. Even in campgrounds today without other Airstreamer's, the Airstream usually is the ice breaker and its the rarity that someone doesn't say something to me when I'm backing in next to them.

Jack

Stefrobrts 04-10-2008 10:57 AM

We get an occasional comment from other campers on our 'cute' old trailer. I do try to say hello to our SOB neighbors when I see them out. I'm always curious to hear where folks are from and what they're doing in town (in case they know about something fun that I don't know about yet). A lot of times they are travelling grandparents visiting family in town. Seems to be a common theme anyway.

If there's an AS in camp I do try to say hello if I see them, but I'm a bit shy about going up and knocking on people's doors. I don't know why, I'm always happy if they come knock on our door and say hello!

Mel 04-10-2008 11:07 AM

I think one of the funnest things about camping in an Airstream is meeting other Airstreamers in the campground. One of the first things we do once we've set up camp is to either walk or bike the campground to see if there's anyone else. We've also had people seek us out, too, and have met some tremendously nice people. We've also given tours to SOB owners (may have converted one or two), and have seen some other really cool trailers. If you're friendly to your camping neighbors, your trip will be that much more enjoyable. :)

AirsDream 04-10-2008 11:09 AM

Hmmmm, well, I've had a lot of folks point at me and say, "Say, look at that old thing." ... but I've never taken it as much of a compliment !!!!!

eubank 04-10-2008 11:22 AM

I guess we're pretty snobby, too. Last time we expended anything more than a passing nod at another RVer at a campground, it was with a fellow Airstreamer. And we visited for quite a while!

:)
Lynn

brunoffrance 04-10-2008 11:34 AM

If Snob is the same word than in my french language , it comes from the Latin "sine nobilitas" and in other words, means: without nobility...so when we use that word, it's pejorative;
I don't think that A/S owners are snob, they are only proud to be the owners of a legendary travel trailer, proud to belong to a community who love good and design caravan, proud to have gotten a piece of America in their hands and it's not pejorative at all;
I'm proud to represent you and Airstreams in France and I don't want to be a snob to people that look me; I just want to share my passion and not to stay closed in the A/S and it's alway a great pleasure to do that.

So what is the meaning of the abreviation SOB ?????

Bruno.

eubank 04-10-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunoffrance
So what is the meaning of the abreviation SOB ?????
Bruno.

Depends on the context! In RVing and some automotive circles, it means "Some Other Brand." Otherwise, it means "Son of a B*tch."
Lynn

jimmini 04-10-2008 12:55 PM

Sob,snob?i Hope Not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eubank
Depends on the context! In RVing and some automotive circles, it means "Some Other Brand." Otherwise, it means "Son of a B*tch."
Lynn

:huh: I thought SOB was for SQUARE OLD BOX.
:sad: My squarestream has been called an SOB.
:blush: I have also been called a Airstream snob at one CG by a person that told me ALL Airstreamers are snobs.I hope in the end I proved him wrong.:flowers:

wheel interested 04-10-2008 01:09 PM

We don't often have the opportunity to camp with other Airstreamers so our experience has been the same as others from everthing to impromptu tours at a gas stop to "they still make those?" to "It looks great how old is it?"

We always offer a "come inside" to "can we see yours?" to every inquiry and it always leads us to the most rewarding conversations, invitations and new acquaintances to share the camping experience.

Can't say we are snobs we have spent plenty of time owning some other brands and they all have cool in them, if not from the show room than definitely from the occupants special flavor. Never had a bad experience so far. Eager to get on the road for more!!!!!!! If it is a fellow Airstreamer I ask if they are on the forums and if they subscribe to Airstream Life and hand them a copy and exchange e-mail addresses and leave them forum information.

mistral blue 04-10-2008 01:15 PM

Snob? No
Geek? Definitely

yukionna 04-10-2008 01:19 PM

I think it is just a "common interest" thing. We have friends who own a SOB and belong to a club of that brand SOB...they even have their own forum like this.

On the flip side, I have had people treat us differently because we own an Airstream. There was a thread on the forum a few years back on this topic of "millionaire Airstream owners". Because new Airstreams cost so much more than SOB trailers, some people think we Airstream owners are all millionaires. :lol:

Mackhopp 04-10-2008 03:42 PM

We had just finished the paperwork to buy our Airstream, and the dealer had parked it in their side lot. We were going to spend our first night as Airstreamers in their lot, as were another couple who had just purchased an SOB.

We got to chatting with this other couple, and of course we duly inspected each others' new purchases, ooohing and aahing all the while. It was comically obvious they didn't quite "get" it. She told me about seeing an Airstream in a recent tent sale and wondered who the heck would buy one of those things? Too much money and not enough storage space with all the curves topped the list of comments.

Most of the time though we get curious people asking about it, and generally being complimentary. Probably because Airstreams are few and far between as compared with SOBs.

Let's face it - if there was a parking lot full of boring beige and white Honda Civics (no offense intended; I've got one myself!) and one or two shiny Ferraris, which would get all the attention? ;)

Garfield 04-10-2008 03:54 PM

We don't consider ourselves as snobs, but we have to admit to being VERY proud owners of one fine RV.

Mexray 04-10-2008 04:10 PM

And all this time...

...I thought SOB stood for 'Slide Out Behemoth'....:cool:

The seductive, aircraft-like shape of an AS will always stand out in the SOB world...poetry in motion, and when in camp mode too!

bredlo 04-10-2008 07:51 PM

Maybe a snob, maybe not... but I know one thing: I'd have absolutely no interest in trailers if Airstreams didn't exist. Its design, heritage and classic riveted look gave me the interest in this hobby in the first place.

In a world without Airstream, I'd still have a deep love for traveling to far-flung destinations. But it'd be in a tent.

Becky B. 04-10-2008 08:12 PM

People who aren't Airstreamers DON'T get it.....it's true. I remember, years ago, as a young mother with a desire to camp, looking at an Airstream that was parked along the road. WOW! It was so expensive. And it hardly had any storage space! And only two beds! I bought a pop up that slept my family of 6 pretty comfortably. But that shiny aluminum stuck in my mind forever. Even after the pop up, I bought a behemoth of a trailer & we all fit great (even the kids friends). But that Airstream always stuck in my mind....shiny, shiny.... Did anyone at a campground ever come in for a tour of those trailers? No! But with my Airstreams that I have had since, people (fellow snobbish Airstreamers, I might add), had come for a tour. I too don't think we're snobs, actually. I do think we have interests in common. I guess pop-ups are everywhere, and so are the huge bunkhouses! Thank goodness my kids don't all come on vacation with me anymore & I can actually have a trailer with only 2 beds! Shiny, shiny, shiny!

mrmossyone 04-10-2008 08:49 PM

Heck, I'll talk to anybody and offer them a beer as well, but if you have a Stream your likely to get two, three or six beers. I think it is just more likey that you will have more in common with a fellow streamer.

Foiled Again 04-10-2008 09:07 PM

Play Nice!

Advice I got as a four year old, and it always holds true. I really enjoy my A/S but I don't think badly of people who have any variety of SOB. My home campground is full of people who leave their RV's there, have the campground staff move them from storage to a lot, and vacation periodically at this one campground. That kind of camping is wasted on an Airstream. I don't get to travel as often or as far as I'd like, but I still say Airstreams are meant for the open road. SOB's are fine to park at a lake for the summer.

I've visited people in the huge beautiful (and sometimes wh***house overdone) mohos. They are lovely and spacious, and 10 years from now will be ???? junked?

I know for a fact that at least three people I've met have bought Airstreams after seeing mine. I don't think that makes me a snob, but maybe it makes me a recruiter!:lol:

Paula

ckeysor 04-10-2008 09:15 PM

Common Interests

I agree with the general thought we are all bound together by the incredible design and heritage of Airstreams.

My funniest campground story happened when I had to live in my 79 International at Lowes Motor Speedway while I was waiting for my family to be able to join me in Charlotte. Except for semi-annual NASCAR races the campground was mostly filled with full-timers.

When I pulled in for my first night, I found out my gas water heater wasn't working so I went out to fix it. A couple of people came over to "help". One person was smoking and the other had a mason jar of shine.

Good intentions+bad judgement = me taking a cold shower that night.:lol:

dufferin 04-10-2008 11:04 PM

I think the AS bring us to speak with so many people I would be surprised if we could be tagged "snob".

Though I have to say that I love to see another AS in a campground and spend time talking about them... but I was never lucky enough to meet another forum member... sad.

So not Snob but I would say "concern"

bredlo 04-10-2008 11:20 PM

Thinking back to high school, it seemed to always be the prettiest girls who were labeled "snobs", even if they were actually kind, sweet people.

So I wonder if jealousy doesn't play some role in landing us with the undeserved label of snobbery.

Ganaraska 10-16-2008 07:33 PM

Invite them over for champagne and caviar, that will show them who is a snob! Ha ha ha ha ha.

Then explain that your Cayman Islands trust leases it from your Lichtenstein corporation through your Swiss bank, resulting in a perpetual tax loss carry forward for your Delaware corporation.

The real expense is having all that aluminum polished by topless bikini models!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

purman 10-16-2008 08:11 PM

When we were in ZION last weekend my wife called me a snob... As we walked by a huge fifth wheel the dad was outside washing his kids with the hose... Come on It's a huge fifth wheel...

I said " man doesn't' that big fancy thing have a shower in it like mine" jokingly of course. He said he didn't want to fill up the grey tanks... My wife said I was being a snob.... I let my kids shower inside... Guess I'm a snob...

But I do talk to the SOB's next to me.. Mostly the older retired folks as they are friendly and like to talk most of the time... But yes I do go and talk to the other AS owners or they stop by and talk to me....It fun...

Goin camping 10-16-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganaraska (Post 627849)
Invite them over for champagne and caviar, that will show them who is a snob! Ha ha ha ha ha.

Then explain that your Cayman Islands trust leases it from your Lichtenstein corporation through your Swiss bank, resulting in a perpetual tax loss carry forward for your Delaware corporation.

The real expense is having all that aluminum polished by topless bikini models!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I tried that one but since I was cooking a hot dog and drinking domestic beer. I don't think they bought it.

U.PenAir 10-16-2008 08:17 PM

Everyone harbors a secret hatred for the prettiest girl in the room--Ani

I believe this translates to Airstreams and campgrounds.:rolleyes:

jerrypeterma 10-16-2008 08:19 PM

I think one reason for this type thinking is the rarity that you find the airstreams. My wife and I drove from my home town to Carolina beach NC (200 miles) and I bet her that we would see a Airstrem on the road. I lost 5 dollars.
Double or nothing on the way home lost me another fiver.
So it only makes you glade when you do see one.
Take care
Jerry

63Silver 10-16-2008 08:36 PM

It's kind of like Harley's and Corvette's and other unique products, it's a brotherhood. I don't think we are called snobs. Take a look at my pictures, most people are just surprised it can still make it to the campground. I've been thinking about putting a donation pot in front of the camper to get donations. "Give money or I'll keep bringing this mess here every weekend!!!"

63silver

ROBERT CROSS 10-16-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat (Post 547339)

So, AM I an AS snob?

:o Yep...you are

;) Yep...we are

:lol: Nope we don't

:happy: Ain't it fun??

Eliminator46 10-25-2008 06:11 AM

I couldn't help but chime in on this one. I feel a strong need for diversity. My wife and I are bikers too. We road Jap bikes, and now a HD. We are welcome at all bike events. Never was there a snob in my mind other than the hot cheerleader in school. As a child 30yrs or so ago, my neighbor rolled up in this shiny new AS. He couldn't help but hollar at Dad to "come check out my new toy". It was a beauty. All the years growing up until recently have been checkin out SOB's and just didn't find the WOW factor. Now at 38, I have this 1970 AS and in the process of getting it road ready and can't wait for someone to give me the WOW factor (positive comliments) that the neighbor got. I just don't see the longevity in the SOB's or even a new AS. The point is, all bikers crave the wind in our hair, despite what we ride, and all RV'rs crave the freedom to stop anywhere we want. The difference is, it is a solid groung for longevity, and pride in USA. We seek out common interest. The AS always looked like an airplane to me, and I always wanted to be a pilot. Now can't wait to fly my own BIRD soon.:)
Adam

Skater 10-25-2008 06:28 AM

Back in July, I was camping at a campground in Indianapolis, when someone knocked on my door and asked about my tow dolly. Turns out she'd just bought a camper and had gotten the same brand of tow dolly, so she wondered if I had any pointers.

Are we tow dolly snobs because we didn't talk to the other motorhome there with a different dolly? No, of course not. As has been said a couple times, it's just a common interest thing.

There was a couple there with their Airstream, and they swung by one evening and we chatted for a bit. I talked to a couple other people in the campground, too, and I almost always do.

blueiwahine 10-25-2008 09:42 AM

Am I an AS snob? Are you?!

I don't have an airstream yet!...but I don't think your an airstream snob....It's like everything...your attracted to what your interested in...I know I always get excited when I see an AS, as compared to SOB. Same thing happened when I got my Toyota FJ...wanted to socialize with others who had them....You like what you like and if that makes someone a snob...so be it. Hubby and I tend to have different interest than most people in our area...so it's always nice to find someone who thinks on the same wave levels as we do. :)

B4WEDI 10-25-2008 03:50 PM

She got Gyped !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeterman (Post 627873)
I think one reason for this type thinking is the rarity that you find the airstreams. My wife and I drove from my home town to Carolina beach NC (200 miles) and I bet her that we would see a Airstrem on the road. I lost 5 dollars.
Double or nothing on the way home lost me another fiver.
So it only makes you glade when you do see one.
Take care
Jerry

Double or nuthin should have cost you a saw-buck !
You owe your wife another fin !

Pay up Sluggah !

:brows:

pilgrim 10-25-2008 07:38 PM

We don't try to start conversations with our neighbors, other than the occasional "Hi." Only once this entire summer did we see another AS in the same campground - ONCE. We did go over and chat and they came by to visit with us. SOB inhabitants have never come by. Once during our trip through Virginia did the neighbors (SOB) finally come buy as we were preparing to leave (fifth day). We did see one AS pass us on the expressway south of D.C. when we were leaving Va. They waved as they passed. Otherwise, we've seen no AS with inhabitants all summer - 28 nights out and nearly 2,000 miles hauling over six states. It was a good 1st year and we can't wait for next year. It'll be a long winter.

Mikethefixit 10-25-2008 08:56 PM

Pilgrim
If ya would just come to some of the local FORUMS rally's U would see some AS's. We had 11 or 12 in april in Michigan in August we had 18 In sept on Lake Erie we had 8 I think We also had friendly neighbors in sob's We had a nice time.With one exception A fellow in a $250k MH next to us would not even throw up his hand when we walked by. HE was the SNOB!