Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/)
-   -   Headliner Sagging (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/headliner-sagging-40416.html)

Ntex 10-19-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndes (Post 1369185)
All I tell is what we did. We removed the ceiling material (ours was foam backed vinyl) removed most of the glue residue from the plywood. Then remover the cabinets and glued hardboard ceiling material (you can get from most RV supply stores) onto the plywood. Looks great will last forever and was the best way out for us. You CANNOT re-glue foam backed ceiling material, we tried. I don't care what this guy says his roof leaks.

I would love to see a picture of your ceiling!

Gene 10-19-2013 02:37 PM

Cable—nice job.

Gene

4wheeler 05-07-2018 03:09 PM

1995 Excella Ceiling drooping

We have noticed that several Airstreamers on this forum have suggested using 5/8" screws to reattach the headliner. My husband is concerned that the screw will puncture the outer skin of the roof of our rig. That can't be true, since others have done this. Can you tell us if we have the clearance to use such screws to fix our problem????

rugjenkins 05-07-2018 03:12 PM

The exterior to interior cavity space is 1 1/2 inches. 5/8 screws will be fine.

dznf0g 05-07-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugjenkins (Post 2098508)
The exterior to interior cavity space is 1 1/2 inches. 5/8 screws will be fine.

But why??? 1/4" is more than enough.

rugjenkins 05-08-2018 07:34 PM

1/4 is great too. 4wheeler mentioned using 5/8.

MontyV 05-18-2018 01:45 PM

we are in the same boat. 3m spray glue did a temporary job. but we are removing and replacing with a grass reed wallpaper.

BurnsTrayler 12-14-2018 10:56 AM

Has anyone use this product:

Polymat 797 Hi-Temp Spray Glue Adhesive:
Industrial Grade High Temperature Glue, Heat and Water Resistant Spray.

Is this better than NAPA Heavy Duty Headliner & carpet Adhesive?

Can someone answer where to get the wide plastic strip or the screws they used to make this job easier then it's going to be.

It looks like the journey is going to be a long road for camping and repairing and we have miles to go before we sleep. This is what I signed up for.

pmclemore 12-14-2018 07:01 PM

Finding an adhesive that will stick to another adhesive is the problem. If you find that solution, please post here.

Pat

TouringDan 03-09-2019 09:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have owned a 95 34 for 5 years now and it has been in storage all this time. The ceiling had started falling when I bought it and now of course it is falling all over so I have decided to remove the vinyl ceiling and the foam. This Airstream has been on the back burner but I decided to do some work on it as the storage place closed up and I have moved it to our home.

No problem removing the vinyl, but removing the foam has not been so easy. I started by using a plastic 4 putty knife. This was slow and difficult. I figured there had to be an easier way and I found it. I riveted the plastic scraper to the blade on my oscillating saw. It works great like a hot knife through butter. The foam comes off in sheets. After I remove all the foam, I will either clean and paint the aluminum or rivet new aluminum sheeting to the old aluminum. Here are some photos.

I have a project thread in the 94-96 Excella category.

DanAttachment 335262Attachment 335263Attachment 335264

Gene 03-18-2019 04:42 PM

This may be the worst idea I've ever had—burn it off. Foam fumes may be poisonous and the fire could spread. But life is an adventure, although I would check with those who know before I created a disaster.

BurnsTrayler 03-19-2019 11:16 AM

Do a search on curtains. I remember seeing a post on a couple of companies you can go to.

pamu 06-02-2019 07:01 AM

I took mine down and used them as a pattern to make new ones.... and yes, I did the pleats. It wasn't a small job, but it wasn't terrible. I have sewing experience but am not a seamstress. I don't have any fancy equipment except for a sewing machine purchased from Sears in 1976. If I had not been able to do it myself, I would have tried to source it out. I had maybe $300 in fabric, lining, interface, and curtain glides..... I am guessing that new ones ordered from AS would be many times that.

Bowbender57 09-24-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In (Post 611844)
Replacement drapes are available through a dealer from Airstream.

Andy

OK-where did you find an upholsterer or someone to work on your AS ceiling?
Bowbender57