Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Jumping off the cliff (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/jumping-off-the-cliff-38047.html)

Reganzo 12-02-2007 04:08 PM

Jumping off the cliff

Hello, I just joined this forum, my handle is Reganzo. My wife 8 years ago had an hemmoraghic stroke, as a result of a rare blood disease called TTP. I quit my job to take care of her, after she was in hospitals, rehabilitation centers for 7 months.

To make a long story short, she has recovered enough that we rented a 27 foot motor coach this past September, and toured the coast of Maine for 7 days. During this trip she handled all the trip threw at her, and she came alive. At one of the camp grounds a couple pulled in with a 34 foot airstream. I was lucky enough to take a tour and I fell in love. When we got back home we made the decision to sell our condo and take some of the money and buy an airstream and take an extended trip accross this wonderful country. Well looking in a local newspaper I found a 1988 limited airstream for sale. Turns out I knew the guy selling it and He and I worked out a deal. The trailer is in wonderful condition, and with a little TLC will be a wonderful home for my wife and me. Our plans are to be on the road by June, and we will let our wanderlust loose. I will be looking for advice and pointers from you all.

clancy_boy 12-02-2007 04:33 PM

Right Now I just want to welcome you to the AirForums. There will be plenty of time for people here to help you with specifics and knowledge about full timing on the road. There is alot of information in the archives - you can start with the search feature above on the blue bar. Can't find an answer - post it and there will be someone out there to assist.

Bless you and your wife - I hope there will be many miles of happy trails ahead for you. Plan some stops at AirForum Rallys all over the US - meet some of us - we would like to meet you.:wally:

juel 12-02-2007 04:48 PM

What a great story of what the human spirit can do. Your wife is blessed to have you and the two of you seem to have found a common ground in the love of traveling and Airstreams. I know my husband and I have become close in our love of getting away in our trailers. My husband never owned a trailer before we married 4 years ago. Now we have two that give us such pleasure. Of course he never owned a pet before we got married, now he is owned by 6 cats and 4 dogs. He loves it. I think he is more attached to them then I am some times. By the way, if you don't already have a little hairy creature to go with you in the Airstream, having one may help your wife in untold ways. Get two small ones that love to be petted and are real lap dogs. Nothing high energy. Something like a Pom or Lasha that likes to sit around on your lap.

ROBERT CROSS 12-02-2007 05:03 PM

God's Critters

Quote:

Originally Posted by juel
By the way, if you don't already have a little hairy creature to go with you in the Airstream, having one may help your wife in untold ways. Get two small ones that love to be petted and are real lap dogs. Nothing high energy. Something like a Pom or Lasha that likes to sit around on your lap.

:wally: WELCOME TO WALLYWORLD....

10-4 ON THE LITTLE HAIRY CREATURES....

God bless and good luck in your new adventure....

TBRich 12-02-2007 06:05 PM

Welceome to the forums...what a lovely story...good for you! You are going to have a really good time...

Maybe we'll see you down the road in your travels...

TB

safari57 12-02-2007 07:33 PM

Reganzo

When you mention your wife "came alive" it reminded me of other stories I've heard with similar results. Friends of my brothers had a traumatic health experience with the wife having major problems.

Like you, they went camping, but they had been campers for years, just had slowed down. It was so invigorating for her (and for him as well - he'd been under intense stress through all of this as well), that they sold their home, bought a larger trailer and truck, and live full time on the road. In the summer they host at a small government campground and through that have a large extended family. As you will learn, campgrounds can become wonderful small communities with old and new friends close at hand.

In the winter they travel through out the southern States, at a slow and easy pace, seeing the things they'd always wanted to and never taken the time.

So welcome, perhaps our paths will cross some day.
Barry

moosetags 12-02-2007 09:54 PM

Welcome to the Forums. We are glad to have you with us.

You've found the right place for the best Airstream information. This group will answer any question that you might have. Just ask away.

You're going to have a great time on your trip. There are a lot of great places to see and a lot of great people to meet out there.

Silverhobby 12-03-2007 08:03 AM

Welcome to the FORUMS. I am glad that your wife is doing better. I know from personal experience, that a BAD day camping is better than a GOOD day at the old 9 to 5.<G>

Reganzo 12-05-2007 12:07 PM

I want to thank all who posted replies. I am learning to navigate the site, so if by chance I miss replying to you all please accept my apologies. Yesterday 12/4/07 I purchased my tow vehicle, a 2008 F-350 power stroke diesel with more bells and whistles than I deserve. So now I am ready to begin getting the Limited ready for take off. I am removing the sofa/couch to make room for my wifes recliner. Is there a place to offer this and other parts I will be taking out? Reganzo

Minnie's Mate 12-05-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reganzo
I am removing the sofa/couch to make room for my wifes recliner. Is there a place to offer this and other parts I will be taking out? Reganzo

e-bay.

And welcome to the forums!

InsideOut 12-05-2007 03:48 PM

...also the classified section here on the forums.

Shari :flowers:

Mikethefixit 12-05-2007 05:28 PM

Reganzo
Welcome! You learn very fast my friend. First an AS and then an approiate Tow vech. There is so much knowledge here its unbeleivable. Just ask any question, the experienced people are here for you and the ONLY STUPID Question is the One U DONT ASK.
Just enjoy life, we are here but for a short time.

Reganzo 12-05-2007 05:29 PM

thanks

Thank you all for your kind words. I am still learning to navigate the web site so if I miss replying to annyone I apologize now. I purchased my tow vehicle yesterday, an F-350 diesel with more bells and whistles than I deserve.

So now I can get started refurbishing our Limited. I plan on removing the sofa/couch to make room for my wifes lifting chair. The bedroom is a twin bed set up, and I plan on switching to a queen bed as well. Is there some place I could list what I plan on replacing, in case anyone would be interested to buy or swap???

My wife and I look forward to hearing from you all...

Reganzo

Mikethefixit 12-05-2007 05:34 PM

Reganzo
Welcome! You learn very fast my friend. First an AS and then an approiate Tow vech. There is so much knowledge here its unbeleivable. Just ask any question, experienced people are here for you and the ONLY STUPID Question is the ONE U DONT ASK.
Just enjoy life, we are here but for a short time.

bake315 12-05-2007 07:08 PM

Jumping off the cliff? Nah....

...more like Jumping in the Pool. Come on in - the water's fine!:D

tin sista 12-05-2007 08:53 PM

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back

Oh my, good for you, don't let anything stop you!:flowers:

I need a hankie, this is such a sweet story, I hope that you have many wonderful exciting travels ahead full of happiness!!

Reganzo 01-13-2008 09:54 AM

Jumping off the cliff and am I glad we are!!!

I have been busy since I posted my original message. Since then I have been busy working on the AS, getting my condo ready to sell, and taking care of my wife.

The Limited has turned out to be more of a project than first anticipated. It ad a twin bed set up and my wife and I felt strongly that we want to snuggle together. So I removed the twins, and when I did I was shocked to find that the floor around the outside of the curves was rotted and there were two holes. After my panic attack, I got help from a good friend and we managed to replace the rotted parts with marine plywood. Then I decided to replace the hot water heater with a tankless model. When I removed the old heater, surprise it had been leaking and the floor under it was rotted too. More panic, more marine plywood, and all is well. We are ready to build the "queen" bed platform at last.

I have become a forums junkie, and Iwant to thank all who post their experiences, and great ideas. I don't think I would be as brave without all this great free help! Looking forward to getting on the road and meeting some of the authors of this interesting site.

Regards,

Reganzo:)

maxandgeorgia 01-13-2008 06:04 PM

Best wishes, Reganzo, with all your "surprises" and solutions. It sounds like you are a fellow who can handle what life tosses you, a natural Airstreamer! Once you and your wife get on the road this summer, please keep us posted with a thread about your travels and adventures. That way, if you are traveling along any of our locations or forum rally paths, you can stop by and pause for a little 'streaming campfire chat! You'll find that quite a few forum members offer overnighting for our traveling Airforums friends. ~G

TIMEMACHINE 01-13-2008 07:31 PM

Amazing story and courage

You are one heck of a guy! I am truly touched by your loyalty and courage to move forward. You now have an even bigger family watching out for you and your wife, no matter where you go, one of us will be near.

Enjoy America,

John

klattu 01-13-2008 07:35 PM

See the USA

Hit the highway and stay in touch.
Post photos for us too.