Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   really confused (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/really-confused-37685.html)

Julestream 11-16-2007 04:36 PM

really confused

My name is Julie. I live in SE Kansas and have just purchased two pretty rough airstreams. They are my childhood dream - and probably a nightmare as well. Just getting started with my 50 Flying Cloud and 66 Overlander. Never done this before.

rmpray 11-16-2007 04:45 PM

You don't kid around when you take on a project do ya:) Congradulations on your purchase. Hey, look through the site, lots of us have taken on projects that would make sane folks knees buckle. Ah but the end result is all yours. Fortunatly, you also found the most valuable restoration tool on the planet...the Airstream Forums! No kidding, piece by piece, someone out here has done it and is willing to share the good bad and ugly about any restoration porcess. Some say it takes deep pockest, and yes, parts can add up, but the labor is all yours and that is the biggest input.

Pictures!!! We need pictures!!! THat is what feeds us:)

Best of luck and ya know, don't let anyone stand in the way as an airstream dream is...priceless!!!

Welcome aboard
Rob n Terry

Janet H 11-16-2007 04:52 PM

Wow! Cool projects. welcome to the forums. Get really friendly with the search tool on the upper blue bar - and ask questions when you get stuck.

Wayne&Sam 11-16-2007 05:19 PM

In the words of many others on this forum- We need pictures!

InsideOut 11-16-2007 05:25 PM

Welcome to you & your trailers! Many of us have multiples...but most wait awhile to obtain the second, third, etc. What do you have in mind for yours? I'd especially like to see pics (as we all do) of the the 50 FC...very cool, not super common trailer!!! Love those round-bodies!

Shari :flowers:

Royce 11-16-2007 05:36 PM

Welcome Julie. Wow, as a friend says 'No half measures'. Keep us posted and feed us photos.:D

Julestream 11-16-2007 05:46 PM

pictures

Geez, I am sooo .........
Trying to figure out how to send photos. Will keep at it till I do. :blush:

Janet H 11-16-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julestream
Geez, I am sooo .........
Trying to figure out how to send photos. Will keep at it till I do. :blush:

Check out this thread for directions.

Jim Clark 11-16-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julestream
My name is Julie. I live in SE Kansas and have just purchased two pretty rough airstreams. They are my childhood dream - and probably a nightmare as well. Just getting started with my 50 Flying Cloud and 66 Overlander. Never done this before.

A woman with two vintage trailers, are you married if not send pictures of the trailers. Wait that won't work I am married.

Welcome to the group.

Julestream 11-16-2007 06:25 PM

'50' Flying Cloud photos

beginning photos

Julestream 11-16-2007 06:43 PM

photos from Kansas

3 Attachment(s)
Be patient, I will have it all figured out in no time - :lol:

rmpray 11-16-2007 06:47 PM

Oh my!!! Did you hit the jackpot! We're empressed:)

drag'nwagon 11-16-2007 06:51 PM

Jules,

That is pretty cool! It looks as though there are a few issues. what concerns me the most is the dent in the front curb side above the window, that is going to take some doing and probably some $$ to fix. The flower pot is a nice touch and I am curious to know what the Emu or Ostrich (can't tell) think about it?

1953 Flying 11-16-2007 06:59 PM

wow what a great find. i would replace those panels with the big dent front side. that is one of the bonus features of owning an Airstream. there put together with rivettes. good luck

rgesch 11-16-2007 07:13 PM

Whhhhhoooooaaaaaaaa.... NICE!

What is there to be "confused" about?https://homepage.fcgnetworks.net/rgesch/1-w-beard.jpg

Julestream 11-16-2007 07:17 PM

Thank you thank you thank you! I found this at a farm in the middle of nowhere Missouri where the photos were taken. I have moved it to the middle of nowhere Kansas where I am. I also have a place in Colorado and Grand Lake Oklahoma where I hope to enjoy my Cloud someday. It is basically gutted inside. I am working on finding the panels to replace the front dents. Also trying to find a bathroom for it and a toilet for the 66 Overlander. Doesn't everyone have a flower pot vent cover?

InsideOut 11-16-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drag'nwagon
what concerns me the most is the dent in the front curb side above the window, that is going to take some doing and probably some $$ to fix.

The nice thing about the oldies is all the panels are "flat" not complex curves like the newer ones.

Shari :flowers:

wkerfoot 11-16-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drag'nwagon
Jules,

That is pretty cool! It looks as though there are a few issues. what concerns me the most is the dent in the front curb side above the window, that is going to take some doing and probably some $$ to fix. The flower pot is a nice touch and I am curious to know what the Emu or Ostrich (can't tell) think about it?

If you pull the inside skin out, you may find that pushing the dent out solves a lot of the problem. Or as Shari states, they are flat panels not compound curves and therefore much easier to replace.

Bill

safari57 11-16-2007 09:10 PM

Oh my goodness, that '50 is already shinier than my '51 and you just bought it. I just hate when that happens. Congratulations on a very neat find. As Bill notes you might be able to push those front panels out from the inside. It won't be perfect but pretty good which may work for you. Also, there's a couple of threads here where others have used heat guns and suction cups to pull out some pretty serious dents. Worth considering first unless a perfect restoration is in it's future.

A flower pot for a roof vent - what a novel idea. If it worked to keep things dry then for the time it's a good idea. It might look good later on with a plant in it beside the edge of your awning since it comes with some history.

By the way, there's a flying cloud registry on the forum where you can list your serial number. There's quite a few of us on the forum.

So welcome and we'll be watching for more pictures as your efforts progress. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask. Many of us have, or are in the midst of, redoing our Flying Clouds.

Barry

Jim Clark 11-17-2007 05:49 AM

Have the frame on the 50 inspected closely, I have heard stories of the center pipe pulling completely out due to corrosion where the out riggers are attached. Of course you have already towed the trailer, still safety is important. The trailer will be a show stopper. With a gutted trailer you can go with a custom interior. Dose the trailer have any tanks?