Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Just got an Airstream (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/just-got-an-airstream-36855.html)

Suedo 10-14-2007 03:58 PM

Just got an Airstream

I recently bought a 1961 Airstream and am exicited to begin bringing it back to it's beauty. I am new to this type of "project" but have been looking forward to learning after seeing several "vintage" Airstreams on our camping trips.
First of all, I seek your help. My Airstream came with no keys for the storage/utility doors. Can you lead me to a source for keys?
Thanks

Boondocker 10-14-2007 04:21 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! We want pictures! You are going to love that thing.

CanoeStream 10-14-2007 04:25 PM

Hi Suedo -- Compartment door locks are fairly generic to the RV business and weren't made in many combinations. I'd recommend checking at any nearby RV dealer or repair business and seeing if they have a coffee can of old keys. I'd get some RV input before dealing with a locksmith -- I seem to remember locksmith's don't have great ways of putting it all back together.

Welcome to AIR Forums!

ROBERT CROSS 10-14-2007 05:19 PM

Welcome

:) Glad To Have You Here At Wally's Wacky World Of Wonderful,

Wise, Witty............ Airstreamer's:)

CaddyGrn 10-14-2007 10:55 PM

Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your Airstream! You started off with a big project, brave person! :) As you work through your restoration or upgrades or cleaning, just post pics and questions and the help will arrive! Be sure and attend the first rally you can, check the rally schedule at the tool bar on top! You can learn a great deal at rallies by talking to others!

Good luck on your new adventure!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)

C Johnson 10-14-2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suedo
I recently bought a 1961 Airstream and am exicited to begin bringing it back to it's beauty. I am new to this type of "project" but have been looking forward to learning after seeing several "vintage" Airstreams on our camping trips.
First of all, I seek your help. My Airstream came with no keys for the storage/utility doors. Can you lead me to a source for keys?
Thanks

Welcome, If you can get to the back of the access doors take off the screw that holds the latch and then unscrew the large nut that holds the lock in place. You will then be able to take the lock out and take it to a lock smith or just replace it with a new one that has keys. If not, drill out the lock and turn it with a screwdriver to open and replace it with a new lock set. For simplicity you might want to have each access door keyed alike.

denellen 10-15-2007 01:20 AM

compartment locks

Airstream used very few key sets during the sixties. Many other Airstream compartment keys from the same era will fit your trailer regardles of model differences. We just tried keys from 2, 66, 26' Overlanders in my 64, 19' Globe Trotter. They were nearly all interchangeable :huh: .
If there are any other vintage units close by, you might give it a try.

richinny 10-15-2007 10:01 AM

bring the trailer to a rally!