Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   1948 #1118 (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/1948-1118-a-36483.html)

Ron Wiebe 10-01-2007 11:32 AM

1948 #1118
 
Hi all, I just purchased a 1948 liner #1118. anone got any info about this one? I have some pictures if I can find out how to post them.
Ron

Boondocker 10-01-2007 11:37 AM

Sounds NEAT! To post a picture click on the little box on the reply box that has the mountian and sun icon.

ScrapIrony-2 10-01-2007 12:37 PM

Fred is the historian for vintage Airstreams. He's a fountain of information. If he's not on the road, he'll be responding. His forum handle is "Wee Wind"


Tracy

azflycaster 10-01-2007 01:06 PM

Check this link out:
48Liner
Your Airstream may have been made at the Van Nuys airport. It is a pipe frame and a real classic!

We want pictures!

Ron Wiebe 10-01-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster
Check this link out:
48Liner
Your Airstream may have been made at the Van Nuys airport. It is a pipe frame and a real classic!

We want pictures!

it has 1755 North Main street Los Angeles on the tag, with model number 4311 and serial number 1118.

I can't seem to find out how to post pics to this forum. I do not have a web page , just pics on my hard drive. Not sure how to transfer them from my hard drive to the forum. Any help?

InsideOut 10-01-2007 01:23 PM

Try this: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...eds-31829.html

Shari :flowers:

47WeeWind 10-01-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wiebe
it has 1755 North Main street Los Angeles on the tag, with model number 4311 and serial number 1118.

Hi Ron:

On a closer inspection it's probably model number 4811, meaning it was built in January 1948. The "8" may have been stamped off kilter and so might look like a "3" at first glance. RJ's web site noted by Azflycaster is the best source of online information, but a recent back issue of the VAC's "Vintage Advantage" magazine has an article about the 1947-50 Liners (round ended pipeframe Airstream trailers). Congratulations on a neat find! :)

Ron Wiebe 10-01-2007 01:54 PM

It does look as if it could be an "8". What does the 11 after the 48 mean? is it the month and day? When did they move to this location? Any idea of the serial number that started at the 1755 north main street location?
I'd post pictures but still can't figure out how to do it. It says my photo's are too big. not sure how tomake them smaller.

InsideOut 10-01-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wiebe
I'd post pictures but still can't figure out how to do it. It says my photo's are too big. not sure how tomake them smaller.

Try this: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f137...res-35871.html

Shari :flowers:

47WeeWind 10-01-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wiebe
It does look as if it could be an "8". What does the 11 after the 48 mean? is it the month and day? When did they move to this location? Any idea of the serial number that started at the 1755 north main street location?

Hi Ron:

Model number 4811 decodes are follows:

"48" = year of manufacture.

For 1948, the 1st "1" = apparent place holder with undiscovered and unknown meaning.

For 1948 , the second "1" in your model number = month of manufacture. 1948 went through "3", or March, then Airstream ceased using the "model numbers" which, to me, indicate the year and month of manufacture.

For 1947, the meaning of the 3rd and 4th place digiits appeared to have been switched, with the last digit "1" being the placeholder. See here: 47Liner

Airstream moved from the Van Nuys Airsport to 1755 No. Main Street around December 1947 or January 1948, and at least by January 1948 as your VIN tag shows. I don't know which serial number first revealed that address change. We need more data points, so keep looking for more Liners. ;)

Mark Wiltrakis 10-01-2007 03:50 PM

Fred -
The '47 Liner I recently saw had the original tag next to the door:

Model 4791 Serial 1035
Built by Wallace M. Byam
Metropolitan Airport
LA, California

So they were still at the airport in Sept 47.
Mark

47WeeWind 10-01-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis
Fred -
The '47 Liner I recently saw had the original tag next to the door:

Model 4791 Serial 1035
Built by Wallace M. Byam
Metropolitan Airport
LA, California

So they were still at the airport in Sept 47.
Mark

Mark:

Thanks for that data. Your example illustrates the model number third digit was the month during 1947, but I'm pretty sure during 1948 the month moved to the last or 4th digit, such as in model number 4813 for "March 1948".

Ron Wiebe 10-01-2007 05:31 PM

8 Attachment(s)
thanks for the pictures lesson. hope these upload .

InsideOut 10-01-2007 05:35 PM

Atta Boy!
 
:clap: Looks like you figured out the pictures and I'm glad you did...nice trailer!!!

Shari :flowers:

Ron Wiebe 10-01-2007 05:37 PM

Fred , Thanks for the info, The serial number is sequential starting from 1000? So mine is the 118th airstream liner made since the beginning? Has someone been keeping track of the trailers found so far?

Ron Wiebe 10-01-2007 05:38 PM

thanks Shari.

Alumatube 10-01-2007 05:55 PM

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHH that is so dang cool!

Hi, I'm Susan. You will soon see I am attracted to things that are unique and unusual (my poor hubby puts up with me, what a sweetheart!), and yours sure is! What a neat trailer. Thanks for posting the pics!

Good luck with it, and post pics of the things you do to it. We all love pictures here. :)

Susan :)

Sugarfoot 10-01-2007 06:07 PM

Oooo! Thanks for taking the time to figure out picture posting.

Ron, that is so TOTALLY awesome!!! Congratulations on your find, it's just so cool that it's hot! It looks to be in remarkable shape for a '48.

47WeeWind 10-01-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wiebe
Fred , Thanks for the info, The serial number is sequential starting from 1000? So mine is the 118th airstream liner made since the beginning? Has someone been keeping track of the trailers found so far?

Hi Ron:

The serial numbering is sequential for each different length model during the late 1940s. The 22 foot long Liners began at serial number 1000 or 1001, I don't know which. So your 22' Liner is the 119th or 118th 22' long Airstream Liner built after WW II. The 28' long Whirlwinds had the 2000 series serial numbers, the 16' Wee Winds had the 3000 series serial numbers, and the 19' (then 18') Trailwinds had the 5000 series serial numbers. Each X000 series is numbered sequentially.

I'm not aware of anyone keeping a close count of all different length Liners, but I have written down all the 16' Wee Wind serial numbers I've come across only because I own one. Maybe someone has done that for the 22' Liners. Many, but certainly not all, 22 foot Liners appear on R.J Dial's web site cited earlier.

Great trailer, have fun with it!

ScrapIrony-2 10-01-2007 08:44 PM

more pics, different trailer-'47
 
1 Attachment(s)
Found this trailer hidden behind lots of others in Tucson at Oasis RV

ScrapIrony-2 10-01-2007 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, forgot to add this

Alaska1966 10-01-2007 11:23 PM

WOW!!! What a cool trailer. I love the curved seating. What a beautiful view people will have driving behind your trailer. Have fun fixing it up!!!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wiebe
thanks for the pictures lesson. hope these upload .


Silverhobby 10-02-2007 07:31 AM

Ron, You have a great find in the 40's era Airstream. Enjoy !!

sharowcat 02-16-2008 10:56 PM

my 1949 liner is going on replace floor
 
3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 54412
Attachment 54410
Attachment 54411

Hello Ron.
I loved 40's Airstream too.
I hope you enjoy to see the process of this replacing ..
Of course you don't need many work like this!
Sharowcat

NorCal Bambi 02-17-2008 08:14 AM

Wow, what great trailers. One of them would sure look great behind our 1948 Cadillac Sedanette. That is if I ever get the car finished. Thanks for all the pictures and information. I'm going to subscribe to this thread.
Don

gypsygirl1 02-17-2008 08:30 AM

Nice Find ! !
 
WOW ! ! What a nice find you've got. Love the layout.
Your trailer is going to be really something when you're done.
My husband and I are currently working on our 59 Tradewind.
Few years "newer" than yours but still a beauty.
Good luck and happy renovations......

Jim Johnson 02-24-2008 12:47 PM

A 1948 1119
 
I recently purchased 4811 1119 must be sister/brother of yours - have you started a restoration or are you going to use it as is??
Jim J

xrvr 02-24-2008 01:19 PM

That is fantastic!!!! I was born in 49 and it looks it's in better shape than I am!!!!

bredlo 02-24-2008 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This morning I found what I thought was a Liner from this general era on the photo hosting site Flickr. What I think it actually is, based on the split windows, is actually a Curtis Wright Clipper, maybe 1947 or 48?

It's sitting in a junkyard an hour or so west of Portland, OR on the Scappoose-Vernonia Highway in Chapman, I think. Splendid little trailer, hope someone can save it.

Link:
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/...3e269b.jpg?v=0

And if the link doesn't work, I'll embed:

safari57 02-24-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bredlo
This morning I found what I thought was a Liner from this general era on the photo hosting site Flickr. What I think it actually is, based on the split windows, is actually a Curtis Wright Clipper, maybe 1947 or 48?

It's sitting in a junkyard an hour or so west of Portland, OR on the Scappoose-Vernonia Highway in Chapman, I think. Splendid little trailer, hope someone can save it.

Link:
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/...3e269b.jpg?v=0

And if the link doesn't work, I'll embed:

Brad

I think you are right, I believe that is a CW. Ron (the originator of this thread) was actually kind enough to sell one of these to a good friend of mine who's busy doing a restoration on it - well, lets say he's got it as one of his projects on the go. He's a busy guy. But it is a beauty and Ron almost GAVE it to him :angel: .

For those of you who don't know Ron he's been an Airstream lover for a long time, has had a few of them, and the last few years at the Deming TCT he's been kind enough to give polishing demos using his trailer to share his expertise:flowers: :flowers: .

Glad he's found another clipper. He has been looking for just the right one for a while now.

Barry

Goin camping 02-24-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safari57

the last few years at the Deming TCT he's been kind enough to give polishing demos using his trailer to share his expertise.

Barry

Soooo He lets you practice polishing on his trailer?
Maybe I'll let the kid next door practice mowing on my lawn.:lol:

safari57 02-24-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goin camping
Soooo He lets you practice polishing on his trailer?
Maybe I'll let the kid next door practice mowing on my lawn.:lol:

Actually he does his own trailer while we sit in lawn chairs and coach, drink cool things, and he and his accomplice get very dirty. Then, we all applaud, go back to our own less shiny trailers, and think maybe we'll put it off until next year just in case he does ask for someone else's trailer to use:D .

I know, he's really missing the boat on this one - he should be passing out equipment to everyone and coaching us as he walks around his trailer - but I think he's read the audience pretty good. At that suggestion there'd be a bunch of upended lawn chairs and the pitter patter of rapidly departing feet.:lol:

Ron Wiebe 02-25-2008 09:06 AM

Hi Jim, Interesting you have #119! This is very interesting. and unique. I have never found any sequential numbered airstreams. very rare to find one.I found mine a few months ago and am going to restore it. I also have a 1955 flying cloud I have been working on for a few years and a 1955 26 foot as a parts trailer for the flying cloud.
I am interested in photos of your#119. can you send them to me? I'd love to have them for my album , any and all you have, I'll do the same for you . thanks, Ron vetteguys@yahoo.com

Ron Wiebe 02-25-2008 09:17 AM

Hi all, The one I should have kept was the 1947 Curtis- Wright. Kick myself about selling it. But hey life goes on. I have had 9 airstreams, 1961 19',1960 18', 1965 Caravel, 1964 24', 22'Curtis Wright, 1957 22' Safari, AND STILL HAVE A 1955 FLYING CLOUD, 1955 26" DUAL AXLE, AND A 1948 22' LINER. I go to "airstream anonomous" meetings every friday evening. I had a relapse last month when I bought the 1955 26 footer. I just can't stop. I'm back on the wagon now though.....
Ron

bredlo 02-25-2008 09:24 AM

Ron, we're all crying for you and your afflication. :rolleyes:

At least you've made it to Step 1 in Aluminum Anonymous: admitting you're powerless against the magnetic pull of Airstreams.

All the best.

Ron Wiebe 02-25-2008 09:29 AM

If I knew where it was I'd save it. anyone know where it is located ?
Ron


Quote:

Originally Posted by bredlo
This morning I found what I thought was a Liner from this general era on the photo hosting site Flickr. What I think it actually is, based on the split windows, is actually a Curtis Wright Clipper, maybe 1947 or 48?

It's sitting in a junkyard an hour or so west of Portland, OR on the Scappoose-Vernonia Highway in Chapman, I think. Splendid little trailer, hope someone can save it.

Link:
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/...3e269b.jpg?v=0

And if the link doesn't work, I'll embed:


Ron Wiebe 02-25-2008 09:31 AM

It's a non ferrous kind of magnetic pull though.
Ron

Jaxon 02-25-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wiebe
I have had 9 airstreams, 1961 19',1960 18', 1965 Caravel, 1964 24', 22'Curtis Wright, 1957 22' Safari, AND STILL HAVE A 1955 FLYING CLOUD, 1955 26" DUAL AXLE, AND A 1948 22' LINER. I go to "airstream anonomous" meetings every friday evening. I had a relapse last month when I bought the 1955 26 footer. I just can't stop. I'm back on the wagon now though..... Ron


Man-o-man Ron, that 48Liner is REALLY something. What a beauty! Have fun on the restoration.

Back on the wagon or back on the Airstream? The A/S is definitely higher octane and tougher to kick... have heard some folks never do... :rolleyes:

Ron Wiebe 02-25-2008 09:41 AM

Thanks Bill, the 48 is going to be fun. I am looking forward to doing it. I have several other projects in place first. My 1957 Nomad, and the 22 foot flying cloud. So maybe next year. I might use the 48 this year just for fun. It tows well and can be slept in. It still has the original airstream mattress in it.

If a guy never trys the aluminum oxide drinks you are OK but once you do it is harder to kick than meth.....I drank on once now I'm hooked.

Ron

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxon
Man-o-man Ron, that 48Liner is REALLY something. What a beauty! Have fun on the restoration.

Back on the wagon or back on the Airstream? The A/S is definitely higher octane and tougher to kick... have heard some folks never do... :rolleyes:


bredlo 02-25-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wiebe
If I knew where it was I'd save it. anyone know where it is located ?
Ron

I wish you would save it! The only description I found was that it's on the Scappoose-Vernonia Highway, which runs between the two towns in Oregon. Do a google maps search of the route between the two towns and you'll see it's only 20 miles long, so somewhere in there is this little gold mine, also full of 1940's trucks and 50's cars with giant fins. :)

safari57 02-25-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bredlo
I wish you would save it! The only description I found was that it's on the Scappoose-Vernonia Highway, which runs between the two towns in Oregon. Do a google maps search of the route between the two towns and you'll see it's only 20 miles long, so somewhere in there is this little gold mine, also full of 1940's trucks and 50's cars with giant fins. :)

Did someone say 50's cars with giant fins? Did I hear my named called? Is a road trip in order here? And 40's trucks for dessert?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.