Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   bugged (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/bugged-35747.html)

westernviews 09-06-2007 11:14 PM

bugged

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.airforums.com/bugged.jpgI was driving through Klamath Falls, Oregon a few weeks ago, just as it became dark. Started to hear splats on my windshield...first though it was rain, then realized it was bugs. Lots of bugs. My windshield got so covered with them I had to slow down, as the cars in front of me did as well. Stopped for gas and to clean the windshield. Thank goodness for Oregon gas station attendants who pump your gas. I didn't have to get out of the car. The attendant and a truck driver were outside with the bugs swarming around them and it didn't seem to phase them. The rv park I had planned to stay at was right in the midst of this, so I kept going.

On searching on Google found that this is an annual occurrence on summer nights. Want to go back to Klamath Falls someday, but not in the summer.

InsideOut 09-06-2007 11:33 PM

Looks like you did your best to help solve the problem...

Yuck!

Shari :flowers:

TBRich 09-06-2007 11:56 PM

That's a mess...looks like you took out more than a few of the little "bug"-ers... We hit a swarm of bees once in our previous motor home...what a mess. Camping in that does not sound like fun...it'd sure give the ol' bug-zapper an overload!

TB

Janet H 09-06-2007 11:57 PM

Oh man! That's a mess. Less bug repellant needed for the rest of us though...

Stefrobrts 09-07-2007 12:41 AM

Yuk! I lived in KFalls for four years and never saw anything like that - for which I am thankful!

ScottW 09-07-2007 12:53 AM

We have a similar phenomenon in the south in late April/early May. We call them 'love bugs'....as they are mating ( or as my brother the Rev. would call 'em 'those 'f'ng bugs'). Really a mess! Don't know what type bugs you encountered, but they leave the same mess!!!! Takes a real high pressure washer to clean up.

Happycampers 09-07-2007 04:22 AM

Hubby says those love bugs will really do a number on your paint job... he does autobody work

clancy_boy 09-07-2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happycampers
Hubby says those love bugs will really do a number on your paint job... he does autobody work

Yep, true - I had a friend who ran a local body shop recomend that you hose of the buggers every day as their stomach acids will eat the paint right off. It's a habbit now in "love bug season" to hose the front end off to help reduce this damage. A good waxing of the front end several times a year (more often than the rest of the vehicle) also helps but does not stop them from trying.

BTW - I belive it's the CO2 from car emissions that attracts them in great numbers to the roadways.

Wabbiteer 09-07-2007 09:11 AM

When doing windshield and headlights remember the tag... After crossing through Montana in mid-July the Canadian Border Agent had to get windex and paper towel to read my trucks' front tag & tabs from the mayflies (?) that had fogged the air over every creek and stream overpass on the Interstate.

Hadn't given it a single thought untill she went back to her booth and hauled out the cleaning supplies... :bb:

...and with a purely canadian glance like how's it feel to be a bug murderer:w00t2: told me to enjoy my stay in Canada :online2lo

richinny 09-07-2007 09:25 AM

simple green works really well to clean bug parts. that's quite a mess!

flyfisher 09-07-2007 11:00 AM

Bugs: every flyfisherman's dream.:)

crazylev 09-07-2007 11:11 AM

My Eurovan has so many bugs on it, if I attached some cardboard wings on the sides I'd have the world's largest locust on wheels!

I think mine need to be sand blasted off at the point.

Jonathan

thecatsandi 09-07-2007 11:49 AM

Don't forget to clean your radiator.

Excella CM 09-07-2007 11:54 AM

Those bugs are cowards, but unrepentant and recalcitrant and they'd do it again if they had the guts.

Goin camping 09-07-2007 11:55 AM

Those bugs were most likely "Midgies" They are from France and are deployed by the State as they eat Mesquito larve.

During daylight if you see a black smoke but no fire It's the Midgies swarming.

Alumatube 09-07-2007 12:20 PM

What's the last thing to go through a love bug's mind as he hits your windshield?

His behind! :D :D :D

Susan :)

Steve & Susan 09-07-2007 04:09 PM

A few years back we were driving at night through South Dakota and I was asleep in the back seat. I woke up to what I thought was a rainstorm, but what turned out to be BUGS - big fat juicy ones like you ran into! We had to stop every couple of miles to clean the windshield.

Earlier comments about paint, radiator, simple green,etc. are spot-on.

Walbernize dissolves them on the front end-cap of out AS.

This is also why wise water-skiers keep their mouths closed!!!:lol:

brutex 09-07-2007 04:22 PM

i had that same experience a couple years ago. it was just north of k-falls and the whole way along the lake and it was mid day....what were they doing out in mid day!!

Goin camping 09-07-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutex
i had that same experience a couple years ago. it was just north of k-falls and the whole way along the lake and it was mid day....what were they doing out in mid day!!

They never sleep. They pretty much fly, eat and die. Thats why the State has to depoly them every week. They use a sprayer.

We hit about three swarms along Government lake and our white car was black on the front and white on the back. Had a kinda warped cop car look. Fortunately we hit a rain storm in Chiliquin and got our white car back.

CaddyGrn 09-07-2007 08:34 PM

Great photo! We ran into the same problem in Klamath Falls quite a few years ago... didn't realize they were quite so bad... went into a restroom at a park... oh dear, didn't think I would get out alive. We are like you, don't go to Klamath Falls in the middle of summer.... it was good you kept on going...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)