Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f456/)
-   -   Sealing Windows & Caulking outside (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f456/sealing-windows-and-caulking-outside-3161.html)

mgordon 01-13-2003 10:36 AM

Sealing Windows & Caulking outside

We have just bought a 1974 International (29 ft). It is in overall good condition, but with the rain that we had this past weekend we found 3 leaks. 1 around the left front window, 1 above the left side window (not sure where it is coming in / dripped down the wall) and one by the kitchen sink window.

What caulk is recommended to use on the A/S and should we do all of the seams?

Also looking for someone in the Houston or surrounding area that we could maybe get a little mentoring from. This is our first camper and our family is very excited to have it, but we have many questions. The forums are great and I have found many helpful things already on this site.

Thanks.

InsideOut 01-13-2003 11:20 AM

While I don't live in the Houston area, there is a good thread on this subject that can give you some info on caulking until someone from your area chimes in. Try Tell me more about caulking... for starters. There are many additional threads discussing this subject...try doing a search using "caulking exterior" as the keywords.

As far as a mentor...you'll find lots of knowledgeable folks right here on the forum! Another idea is to look into the local WBCCI unit in your area www.wbcci.org. Houston is in Region #9 and there are several groups in Texas, there's sure to be one to meet your needs.

Good luck as you begin your restoration!

Shari :)

Chas 01-13-2003 12:33 PM

MG,

Welcome to the forum! Leaks on a A/S can be tricky to find. I would start on top of the roof first. If water gets in up on the top, around say around the antennae, plumbing vents, roof vents or a/c, it will travel all around the inside skin and run down anywhere. I have seen my Overlander leak at the rear by the bathroom wall with water that came all the way from the front roof antennae mounting. If you have vista windows that would be another place to look, almost guaranteed leakers if they haven't been attended to. After the roof I would caulk the tops of the windows, right where the drip rail mounts. I have also heard the awning rail can be a problem. You should be using either parbond for the tight seams and vulkem for the larger seams. There is a lot of info on the subject of caulking so just do a few searches. Good luck!

Chas

mgordon 01-13-2003 01:18 PM

Sealing Windows & Caulking Outside

Thanks for the help and advice.

I have been doing some searches so I have learned some on what to use to seal the seams and windows. I will check our local dealers for the parabond and Vulkem.