Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Forum Rallies & Meet Ups (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f288/)
-   -   Rallying with SOB's? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f288/rallying-with-sobs-31530.html)

BamCamper 04-10-2007 11:27 AM

Rallying with SOB's?

Okay here's the problem. A dear friend who I have been camping with for years recently purchased *gasp* a small SOB. It was a financial decision and I'm sure she would have LOVED to get an Airstream but it just wasn't in the cards. It would be nice if she could occasionally attend a Rally with me (and meet all the great forum folks) and still bring her own vehicle.

What is the "policy" on this? Does she have to leave her SOB at home in order to come along? Would she camp somewhere near the cluster of silver but not too close? I know it's an Airstream Rally but...

Thoughts???

Fyrzowt 04-10-2007 11:31 AM

It's not like we would catch something from her...
It may be a good way to convert her.

wahoonc 04-10-2007 11:35 AM

Have a non Rally Rally:lol: I camp with a wide range of folks. There is one camping group that I belong to that started out as SEPUC South East Pop Up Campers. Wanna guess what was at the last campout?:p I think the rules are up to the individual group. I would not expect to take an SOB to a rally organized by Airstreamers unless it was a Buddy Rally of some sort. I suspect the Forum rallies maybe a bit less straight laced.:angel: I have a group of friends that I camp with a couple of times a year, the current collection of campers ranges from a Condo Tent to a $75k fifth wheel with everything and anything in between.

Aaron:cool:

moosetags 04-10-2007 11:36 AM

At a Forums Rally, it would usually be fine as these rallys are usually held at public campgrounds that are open to everyone. This would not be the case at WBCCI rallys where this would be a giant "fox paw" unless you're talking about a moho made by Thor some other company that Thor may purchase in the future.

overlander63 04-10-2007 12:00 PM

If it's a Forums rally, bring 'em along, just ask them to sign up here first. That way, it'll be all nice and legal, as we don't force anyone to own an Airstream product (although it's nice).

CanoeStream 04-10-2007 12:03 PM

I love to gawk private docks at marinas. Anybody asks, I can easily present myself as a potential customer -- 'cept I haven't found an aluminum sailboat I like. :rolleyes: WBCCI has rules; Forums rallies don't. I invited friends shopping for Airstreams to bring their popup to the Midwest rally -- they can't make it. We have another member here who is bringing his SOB to the Midwest rally. Enforcing rules or quarantining interested lookers not only spoils the fun, but it's too much work! :flowers:

Swanny 04-10-2007 12:04 PM

Ask your President

Ask your unit president when the unit is having a buddy rally. During these rallies you can bring a friend (and their SOB trailer).

Mitch

WALLY 54 04-10-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanny
Ask your unit president when the unit is having a buddy rally. During these rallies you can bring a friend (and their SOB trailer).
Mitch

Yes, make it a Buddy Rally. Then everyone can attend and maybe even be persuaded to come to the 'silver' side!

:D:D:D

CanoeStream 04-10-2007 12:43 PM

I karma-tized Swanny for replying with a good WBCCI solution in a level headed manner -- he didn't even point out my ignorance. We're all a bunch of half blind aluminum polishers sometimes -- sorry (no, won't apologize to Don Imus for calling myself a name). Sounds like a good solution. Airstream tours at any rally are a great way to spread the excitement.

kposey 04-10-2007 12:48 PM

SOB's Welcome

I have a friend with a SOB and he is about to attend his 4th Airstream Rally! He is even bringing his brother-in-law with his SOB to the next one!

Minnie's Mate 04-10-2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags
At a Forums Rally, it would usually be fine as these rallys are usually held at public campgrounds that are open to everyone. This would not be the case at WBCCI rallys where this would be a giant "fox paw" unless you're talking about a moho made by Thor some other company that Thor may purchase in the future.

No, they would have to join the WBCCI first, then invest the umpteen million years it takes to work their way up the IBT ladder to become a member of the privileged IBT elite class before they could own an SOB and attend a WBCCI rally.:lol:

Seriously, our first and only forum rally so far (where we had an Airstream to stay in) had one of its attendees staying in an SOB because she didn't want to tow her vintage Airstream that far and she got a little ribbing for showing up at an Airstream Forum Rally without her Airstream (mostly from me, BTW) and she was more than welcomed. You should remember moosetags, it was the Can Opener Rally and you were there!

On edit, speak of the devil Kathy, you posted while I was writing this response!

Quote:

I have a friend with a SOB and he is about to attend his 4th Airstream Rally! He is even bringing his brother-in-law with his SOB to the next one!
Isn't it always "a friend" that does this.:lol:

Lee Pace 04-10-2007 01:40 PM

Rallying with SOB'S

I agree that it can't hurt anything to have someone want to join in the fun of one of our rally's. Not everyone can own an Airstream! I say let em come and have fun!!!

Lee Pace
72 Sovereign
84 Avion
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx

kposey 04-10-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Isn't it always "a friend" that does this.:lol:
It's those friends that will get you in trouble everytime!:D

Goin camping 04-10-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamCamper
Okay here's the problem. A dear friend who I have been camping with for years recently purchased *gasp* a small SOB. It was a financial decision and I'm sure she would have LOVED to get an Airstream but it just wasn't in the cards. It would be nice if she could occasionally attend a Rally with me (and meet all the great forum folks) and still bring her own vehicle.

What is the "policy" on this? Does she have to leave her SOB at home in order to come along? Would she camp somewhere near the cluster of silver but not too close? I know it's an Airstream Rally but...

Thoughts???

Are you asking about a WBCCI or a Forum Rally?

WBCCI it needs to be a buddy rally for an SOB to attend.

Forum Rally I don't think it would be an issue but you might want to toss it onto that rallies thread before she signs up.

TIMEMACHINE 04-10-2007 03:45 PM

Try this

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamCamper

Thoughts???

Our first thought is to ask your dear friend if she minds wrapping her SOB in aluminum foil for the rally or alternatively getting a big can of silver spray paint?

And then again, several kegs of beers next to her front door would be a great disguise. "Special Edition" aluminum pods! That qualifies in our book. After all, after a few beers.....who cares....or even....who could tell the difference.

Time and Time again

jcanavera 04-10-2007 03:58 PM

I can tell you that from a Forums stand point, the more the merrier. We obviously would like them to work through the reservation process with us and let us know that they are coming.

From my standpoint for Moraine View, I like to keep track of attendance for providing memento's of the occasion. Knowing you are coming assures that you will be getting one.

Jack

Hammer 04-10-2007 05:59 PM

I'm very glad to see the attitude on the forum

I'm a new member and just wanted to say I'm proud of all of you. Personally, I don't care if a couple next door is in a tent if they're good neighbors. Not everyone can afford an Airstream, even a used one. I'm shopping for a trailer now, but I'm looking forward to the people I'll meet and enjoy. The trailer is secondary. The way I look at it, if Bill Gates pulls up next to me, he'll beat anything I'll ever own. There's not much reason for me to feel exclusive. I'd much rather that the young couple in the tent remembered the folks in the silver trailer that invited them over for dinner when it was raining so hard.
Thanks,
Mike

nilesrob 04-10-2007 07:02 PM

I know your friends would be welcomed at our event in Hiawassee in April!

str8strm 04-10-2007 07:17 PM

and you have to remember 29 palms

the very funny "airstream" with a Prevost paint job:brows: of course she would be welcome at a NRRR

Phil and/or Sue 04-10-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goin camping
Are you asking about a WBCCI or a Forum Rally?

WBCCI it needs to be a buddy rally for an SOB to attend.

Forum Rally I don't think it would be an issue but you might want to toss it onto that rallies thread before she signs up.

I concur. The forum does not require Airstream ownership, and being on the forums does not even require registering. So I feel that a forum rally is kind of an extensionof the forums, and everyone would be welcome.

Often guests on the forums are seeking advice or "feeling out" the community. And they are welcome, and all are welcomed when they join. As such, I think forum rallys would welcome guests, either camping or walk-in visitors.

I think that not all good people in the world have Airstreams, and not all Airstream owners are necessarily good people (but most seem to be...of course, I'm a limited observer, and not in the WBCCI:lol:).

As far as I am concerned, all would be welcome, although signing up allows better estimates for time management, food, tours, food, prizes, food, raffles, and pot lucks. :chef:

So bring whomever is free-spirited enough to join in the fun!:cool: