Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Interior Restoration Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Original, Restored or Customised? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/original-restored-or-customised-31196.html)

Moonstruck 03-29-2007 04:48 AM

Original, Restored or Customised?

Here I am folks! My 200th posting! I thought it was time to stop chasing SilverTwinkie on the backs of others and start some more threads!:lol:

I'm having enormous fun, found the answer to almost every question I've had and found, especially in the community spirit supporting Terry and Marie:flowers: :flowers: , people at their very best! It's inspiring! I'll be around for a while yet!

The Thread...
It would be nothing if you can't start a bit of controversy!
I Love contrast!
I look at the very old Airstreams, even those restored faithfully to beautiful glory and I want to see a modern interior that is beautiful, tasteful and utilitarian.
What do you think? ...want? ...have done? ...desire?
Being a photographer, I'm very visual. If you have it - flaunt it!
Marc

boatdoc 03-29-2007 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
Here I am folks! My 200th posting! I thought it was time to stop chasing SilverTwinkie on the backs of others and start some more threads!:lol:

I'm having enormous fun, found the answer to almost every question I've had and found, especially in the community spirit supporting Terry and Marie:flowers: :flowers: , people at their very best! It's inspiring! I'll be around for a while yet!

The Thread...
It would be nothing if you can't start a bit of controversy!
I Love contrast!
I look at the very old Airstreams, even those restored faithfully to beautiful glory and I want to see a modern interior that is beautiful, tasteful and utilitarian.
What do you think? ...want? ...have done? ...desire?
Being a photographer, I'm very visual. If you have it - flaunt it!
Marc

Hi Marc; You must be a war monger, are you? Looks as you want to start one. Some of us see it as "keep it original" others "just go camping" and the rest of us " fit my style and comfort". Good luck with your very controversial subject, and oh yes, I belong to the third group. Thanks, "Boatdoc":lol:

Moonstruck 03-29-2007 06:27 AM

Rules of Conflict

I want this thread to be interesting, visual, open-minded and fun! If we're going to have a war, let the mines be whoopee cushions and the ammunition custard pies!:lol: :lol:

GlenCoombe 03-29-2007 06:37 AM

This topic is very much in vogue with the car guys too. Resto-mod is the term over there on that side.

Personally my coach has never been intended as an RV... but now it serves my needs and I love it.

I removed a 4 place club seating arrangement up front behind the drivers chair. I replaced the Flex-Steel leather captains chairs with new more modern looking seats in the driver and co-pilot positions.

I added a 20" LCD to the wall with a computer below. A 7" LCD stereo in the dash was added and hooked into the mini-CCD camera in the rear window.

Of course the first thing I did was to remove the "casket chamber" that was taking up the area that is now a walk through into the rear of the coach. This is where all my hanging samples live.... as well as anything I need to carry, be it popup 10x10 tent or up to 4 bicycles. Oh, and I did add four shelves for all my folded samples up in the coach on the drivers side. These can come out on a minutes notice as they're on wall brakets.

It's still original. Just highly modified to suit my needs.:lol:

Moonstruck 03-29-2007 06:40 AM

Pictures!

Pictures please... ...and that goes for you lot too!:lol: :lol:

dudebb 03-29-2007 08:05 AM

Marc,
This question really hit the spot for us. We are awaiting a 62 Bambi which I hope to have by the end of April. Yes, I will post photos as soon as I get her home! I have some classic cars that I have always felt should be kept to their original roots. Yet, with the Bambi, I am leaning towards an updated interior in that I had hoped to have a flat scren tv, computer access and modern amenities. Can This be done and still retain the original look?? It's so small that the computer will probably be a laptop that will actually be used on my lap vs. a designated area inside somewhere. Another question is the impact on the value of changes to the originality. At least I have some time to think about this. I will be watching this thread closely for responses and comments.
Thanks,
George

Moonstruck 03-29-2007 08:23 AM

Hi George,
you have hit the spot for me on the subject of computers in an AS. I will shortly be getting an old translucent iMac which I will strip of the body and install in my Airstream. I will plug it straight into my LCD TV screen - most of them nowadays have a PC input. If you can't get an iMac - get a Mac Mini
Marc

SmokelessJoe 03-29-2007 09:21 AM

Marc:

This subject often comes up on the forum. Here’s an example of another recent thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forum...zed-10858.html

Sergei

cliffcharb 03-29-2007 09:24 AM

I'm going for all three. My 77' Sovereign is a going to be a complete redo, set up for sattelite, flip down LCD TV's, nice cozy place for the computer, new real wood cabinets, wood floors etc... My 54 Flying Cloud is going to look original, seeing as I have all the original appliances, but will have hidden accesories. My fathers 81 Excella is just getting cabinets replaced with real wood, and fixing that crappy couch in the front.

tphan 03-29-2007 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi marc- decided on a complete re-do of the '72 OL, since there was so much bad sub-floor in back, so much ruined or missing tambour, and so much else that didn't do much for me. Changed the rear completely to have a full-time queen bed with small toilet-shower area, and made more countertop space in the kitchen. Used maple and birch woods mostly, with a few others thrown in. Hope to use it this summer, finally! -tim

sequoiacoast 03-29-2007 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can appreciate all approaches, and am grateful that there are those who will preserve the original materials and layout. I, however, like to tweak, and loooove to create, so this is my interpretation:

Moonstruck 03-29-2007 10:17 AM

Wow! Great posts tphan and Suquoia! Love the pictures! I think it's true to say that for some people engaging with something iconic is much more exciting when there is room to add your own contribution. For other people it's akin to scrawling "Nice One Leonardo" in the corner of the Mona Lisa!:lol: :lol:

InsideOut 03-29-2007 10:46 AM

You may find this article from the Fall 2004 Airstream Life magazine interesting...talks about the four major ways to maintain & use a vintage trailer and is written by our very own Fred (47WeeWind) Coldwell.

FWIW...Maxwell is featured as the "refurbished" trailer...not quite sure what we are doing with Birdie yet...lots has been done by the previous owner, not sure how much we can undo.

Shari :flowers:

Blu_Hwy_Lady 03-29-2007 11:04 AM

my Airstream, my art project

1 Attachment(s)
My trailer was in fantastic shape and had barely been used. The PO had reupholstered everything in a very tasteful sage green, had new custom drapes made, put down nice berber carpet and had the counter tops and fold-out table relaminated. Most people would have been delighted. But for me it was just too boring. I ripped it all out, including the bulkhead dividers. I think Airstreams beg to be renovated because they are such an interested shape.

Moonstruck 03-30-2007 04:47 AM

I can see all sides to this. As I said, I love contrast, but in all my work on my 86 Sovereign I have not cut and changed it at all - I like it the way it is.

Ps. My apologies! I've just seen that I installed this thread into "Community Polls" by mistake. Maybe a Mod or administrator can put it where it should be.
Sorry folks!
Marc

mandolindave 03-30-2007 08:26 AM

I fretted about changing my trailer...........

2 Attachment(s)
And I probably wouldn't have had it not fallen apart. The counter was crumbling and I didn't care for the avocado theme.

Moonstruck 03-30-2007 08:27 AM

Cool!:cool: :cool:

HiHoAgRV 04-04-2007 07:40 PM

Ours was soo close to original I couldn't bear changing it. The only exterior non-stock items are the wheels, silver metal slots with chrome trim rings. The interior is all original down to the 8-track and the now functional LED clock!

Groovy!

Had it been trashed, it would have gone back custom.

wheel interested 04-04-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
I can appreciate all approaches, and am grateful that there are those who will preserve the original materials and layout. I, however, like to tweak, and loooove to create, so this is my interpretation:

That is beautiful. I love the table shape. WOW!

soldiermedic 04-08-2007 06:31 PM

I am going with an entirely new custom design that fits what my family will be most comfortable in.