Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f458/)
-   -   Florida is sold out! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f458/florida-is-sold-out-30278.html)

thecatsandi 02-20-2007 08:03 PM

Florida is sold out!
 
I stopped today at Camping World near St Augustine. yeah I am heading north. I am going to need to winterize Buttercup for my trip into Washignton, DC/PA/OH.

I was shopping for a collapsible ladder and some RV anti-freeze. None to be found. I suspect anywhere north of Tampa is sold out!

Can I use Canola or Corn oil to winterize the traps, and tank? I am planning on blowing out the water lines.

wahoonc 02-20-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I stopped today at Camping World near St Augustine. yeah I am heading north. I am going to need to winterize Buttercup for my trip into Washignton, DC/PA/OH.

I was shopping for a collapsible ladder and some RV anti-freeze. None to be found. I suspect anywhere north of Tampa is sold out!

Can I use Canola or Corn oil to winterize the traps, and tank? I am planning on blowing out the water lines.

I would just use some cheap wine:brows: Try your nearest Wallymart they have an RV section and typically keep the RV antifreeze in it...some autoparts stores may have it too.

Aaron:cool:

clancy_boy 02-20-2007 08:11 PM

Are you go through Mississippi on the way home or another route? If so - you are welcome here. I have a gallon of RV antifreeze in the garage for you. BTW - Walmart here overstocked with RV antifreeze - lots of FEMA trailers but the people in them just don't care, many are being returned in deplorable shape. Drive safe.

lewster 02-20-2007 08:15 PM

Antifreeze!!!
 
Hey Michelle,

I just spent 4 hours today rescuing a trailer that just arrived from Quebec. The poor folks had water coming out of every water fitting. The place where they store it was supposed to winterize it, but they only blew out the lines and did not add antifreeze.

The result was a busted water heater tank, a kitchen and lav faucet that were both leaking badly, and a dozen or so fittings that needed replacement. The only thing that held was the Pex tubing itself.

Try Wally World for some anti freeze if you can't find any at CW and be sure to open EVERY faucet to be doubly sure thatthe pink stuff is flowing thru.:D

thecatsandi 02-20-2007 08:17 PM

I maybe coming through mississippi on I-40. I suspect this will be northern MS. I can check Walmart but I expect they will be out as well. Just looking for alternatives.

Pick 02-20-2007 08:18 PM

Sanders had some for almost $10 a gallon. Used to get it in Ohio for $1.79.

Silvertwinkie 02-20-2007 08:23 PM

Vodka. Rot gut....nothin' fancy. Works in a pinch. :)

thecatsandi 02-20-2007 08:28 PM

The factory blew out the lines back in Nov/Dec when they were fixing it. It is still doing ok. I have a short piece of hose so I can hook it up to the pump. I plan on draining the water heater and fresh water tank, activating the heater bypass and putting antifreeze down all the drains and holding tanks.

That should do it.

lewster 02-20-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatsandi
The factory blew out the lines back in Nov/Dec when they were fixing it. It is still doing ok. I have a short piece of hose so I can hook it up to the pump. I plan on draining the water heater and fresh water tank, activating the heater bypass and putting antifreeze down all the drains and holding tanks.

That should do it.

Don't forget the lines for the toilet and shower.........:D and outdoor shower if you have one!

Silver Threads 02-20-2007 09:07 PM

Are you taking 40 all the way? I live right off of I-40 and there is a small RV store, right off the exit and they had a couple of cases of it yesterday. It is suppose to be in the 60's all week, so they may still have some, if you dont find it before you get here, let me know.

68 Overlander 02-20-2007 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Vodka. Rot gut....nothin' fancy. Works in a pinch. :)

That's what I was theenkin' :dizzy:

Really though, you should be able to find the stuff at any wally world along the way or in a pinch, SOB parts store along the highway.

Paul Ouellette 02-20-2007 09:59 PM

Michelle :

Two words to solve your problem...

"West Marine"

Your welcome.
Paul.

thecatsandi 02-21-2007 08:18 AM

how many gallons? two? three?

AlbertF 02-21-2007 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewster
Hey Michelle,

I just spent 4 hours today rescuing a trailer that just arrived from Quebec. The poor folks had water coming out of every water fitting. The place where they store it was supposed to winterize it, but they only blew out the lines and did not add antifreeze.

The result was a busted water heater tank, a kitchen and lav faucet that were both leaking badly, and a dozen or so fittings that needed replacement. The only thing that held was the Pex tubing itself.

Try Wally World for some anti freeze if you can't find any at CW and be sure to open EVERY faucet to be doubly sure thatthe pink stuff is flowing thru.:D

I would guess that they *may* have blown the lines out, but didn't drain the water heater at all. You can't get all of the water out, but a few inches in the bottom of the tank won't cause any problem as long as there is expansion room.

Silvertwinkie 02-21-2007 08:55 AM

When disconnecting the pump from the tank and feeding the system straight from the bottle, I can typically do it in 2 or 3 bottles. Some do it in 1, but after blowing the lines out, I make sure the pink stuff gets everywhere...low side valves, water heater, traps, faucets, sink sprayer, head, etc...so 3 bottles....in my mind, it's cheap enough and having a bit too much is always better than not enough. Even if I spend an extra $3-4 for the added gallon or $6-$8 for 2 gallons more, in my mind, $8 is far less than the outcome of a possible problem.

CanoeStream 02-21-2007 10:19 AM

Hadn't seen that this was about winterizing. Hope you have time yet -- but take the carbon filter out of the kitchen faucet before you run pink stuff through it. Otherwise you'll probably have to buy a new one.

Michelle, your karma account has a lot of upswing due. Wishing the best in travels to you! We're getting Gulf air this weekend with heavy wet snow before Sunday (mostly northern half of the state). I don't know the path predicted when it heads east.

kposey 02-21-2007 10:21 AM

Antifreeze
 
Try auto parts stores too. I have been able to find it there sometimes too.

pmclemore 02-21-2007 12:16 PM

Good news is that you are catching us in a warming spell. I don't think you need to worry about it at all for the next several days - and there is always plenty of antifreeze up here. I think they ran out in the south because there is usually not much market for it.

Pat

thecatsandi 02-21-2007 07:19 PM

Thanks,
I tried the local Wal-mart. Cleaned out.
The local auto parts place had three gallons. I bought them all.

lewster 02-21-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertF
I would guess that they *may* have blown the lines out, but didn't drain the water heater at all. You can't get all of the water out, but a few inches in the bottom of the tank won't cause any problem as long as there is expansion room.

Albert,

I'm sure that they blew out the lines and neglected the water heater tank completely! Compressed air is a great way to get the lines ready for ANTIFREEZE. It is the only way to get the pink stuff into every nook and cranny in the water valves to keep them from exploding (which is what happened!)

A few gallons of antifreeze is really cheap insurance. The repair tab on this trailer is currently at $1250 and still rising!!!!!!!:blush:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.