Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Greetings from a Norcal newbe (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/greetings-from-a-norcal-newbe-30200.html)

gflaig914 02-17-2007 08:58 PM

Greetings from a Norcal newbe
 
Hello all! I am the uncertain owner of a '64 Bambi II--think from the VIN she was #161 produced. I say uncertain because I didn't know what I was getting into. Looked good on the outside and thought my only challenges to enjoying her (based on the sellers story) would be a little cosmetics on the inside. Not so unfortunately. I won't bore you all with the gruesome details but seemed everytime I tried to fix one thing found out 2 more that were broken! It became too overwhelming and I took her to the hospital (restorer) for recessitation and a facelift (some updating) while she's there. Am hoping I'll get her back in time for summer, but it will undoubtedly be with a hefty price tag. I certainly envy all of you who are "do it yourself"ers out there. But I'm in this now and am committed to enjoying some great travels after her discharge from the hospital--meanwhile I'll have to "stream" vicariously by visiting this site! Gerri

CaravelBrian 02-17-2007 09:30 PM

Welcome. It will be money well spent as soon as you are able to enjoy it. I too am from Auburn and have a 65 Caravel I have been restoring lightly myself the last year. I have only camped in it once but am planning a few trips this year so far. I just bought a new truck so I can tow it a little safer than before.
You will find great info here. I do not post much but have read just about everything here. I search the archives eveytime I am working on something and always find the answers. Glad to have another little one close by.

urbanfood 02-17-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gflaig914
I won't bore you all with the gruesome details but seemed everytime I tried to fix one thing found out 2 more that were broken!

many here know all too well about the gruesome details.

welcome to the forums. you have a great airstream. check out member "norcal bambi" 's thread. you'll get a lot of good info and general education even if you don't do the work yourself.

good luck! and post pix if you can.

codybear 02-17-2007 09:44 PM

Hi Gerri and CaravelBrian,

Fellow Californians!.there's a wealth of info on all aspects of Airstreams that can benefit you..just ask away, and you will get suggestions and support from the forum members who've had extensive experience in restoration, repair, remodeling, and maintenence of your a/s..looking forward to seeing you at future rallies!...

moosetags 02-17-2007 10:43 PM

Welcome to the Forums. You'll find a lot of good info here. Congratulations on your new baby. When you get her back, it will all be worth it. An airstream is more than an RV, it's a life style.

Safari Tim 02-17-2007 11:52 PM

Welcome to the forums!

I'm curious. Who is the restorer in N. Cal that you took your trailer to?

CaddyGrn 02-18-2007 12:28 AM

Gflaig,

Welcome to the forums. We are in Northern Cal and have a 1963 Bambi. My husband did the restoration on ours. Gotta say, it is great now that he is essentially finished. (a little tweaking here and there...) You won't be sorry! Please post some pictures and give us updates. We love pictures here!

If you update any of your appliances,cabinets, knobs, sinks etc. DON'T THROW THEM AWAY! Post pictures and let us know. Many times folks will be glad to buy them from you, or come and take them off your hands! Working or not. There are some parts in particular items that are eagerly sought after!

Be sure and check out the rally forums. Attend one even if your A/S is in the shop. You will get a chance to see and meet other Airstreamers and see what they have done. Will give you lots of ideas!

By the way, here is my husband's thread on our Bambi restoration: (long reading...)

https://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-17925.html

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

FreshAir 02-18-2007 12:49 AM

Yes, Gerri, welcome. I too have found some 'surprises' in my '66 Tradewind. However, with each negative 'surprise' I also discover many things to why I am happy with my purchase. Fortunately I have the skill, a great source of information and help (The Forum) and the time (retired) to accomplish the upgrades and repairs. Do take advantage of all the advantages of this Forum. We live east of Placerville so maybe we will meetin a campground sometime....however, I don't thing I will attempt towing a trailer down and up the American River Canyon on HY 49 anytime soon!

Neil.

Mac1 02-18-2007 05:25 AM

Welcome gflaig914 and to CaravelBrian as well.
I know you will enjoy her when you get her back. Linda and I are heading to Auburn in early June to see our kids and grandkids. PM me with any good campgrounds in the Auburn area. Kids live on a Cul-de-sac (no room for 31' AS) in Auburn.
Thanks and best wishes for enjoying your AS.
See you down the road!
Mac and Linda

gflaig914 02-18-2007 10:28 AM

I think my reply will disapoint you. Nothing about this has been simple. Couldn't find anyone in NorCal at all and just didn't have a good feeling about the people I talked to in SoCal so ended up taking her all the way to Denver, Timeless Travel Trailers. Found them to be knowledgable, experienced and helpful with finished productions to view, etc.

gflaig914 02-18-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac1
Welcome gflaig914 and to CaravelBrian as well.
I know you will enjoy her when you get her back. Linda and I are heading to Auburn in early June to see our kids and grandkids. PM me with any good campgrounds in the Auburn area. Kids live on a Cul-de-sac (no room for 31' AS) in Auburn.
Thanks and best wishes for enjoying your AS.
See you down the road!
Mac and Linda

PM me with any good campgrounds in the Auburn area.

What are you looking for? Free? Hook-ups?

gflaig914 02-18-2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaravelBrian
Welcome. It will be money well spent as soon as you are able to enjoy it. I too am from Auburn and have a 65 Caravel I have been restoring lightly myself the last year. I have only camped in it once but am planning a few trips this year so far. I just bought a new truck so I can tow it a little safer than before.
You will find great info here. I do not post much but have read just about everything here. I search the archives eveytime I am working on something and always find the answers. Glad to have another little one close by.

To CaravelBrian--Nice to know BambiII's daughter lives close by!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.