Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   Proud new Airstream owner (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/proud-new-airstream-owner-29249.html)

LATUBE 01-11-2007 10:02 PM

Proud new Airstream owner

I just bought my first Airstream...an '84, 345 Motorhome and have begun a restoration that i hope to have completed by early March. looks like this will be a great place to get information and meet others who share my passion for Airstreams. Anybody else out there with a classic 345?

moosetags 01-11-2007 11:27 PM

Welcome to the Forums.There's a lot of good information around here. I Don't have a moho, but I'm sure tht several will chime in that have 345's.

Fyrzowt 01-12-2007 12:31 AM

No MOHO, I pull a 21' globetrotter. I just wanted to welcome you to the forums. Great place for all of your restore info.
Dave

GlenCoombe 01-12-2007 05:33 AM

Latube, my Moho is a bit shorter and a single rear axle but we've got some 325 owners here. I'm sure they will chime in if they note your post. Please be sure to post over on the General Motorhome forum and you'll find more notice there. The forum interface is moving very fast and I'm certain that a post that is not current will not catch the motorhome guys.
So... details please. We're also a very visual group and love pictures. Give us the details!!!! :p
How deep is the reto? How many miles? What was the overall condition when you found it?
Check out the Rally thread for the April 20-22 weekend in Hiawassee GA. Might be a great "coming out" weekend for a number of restorations in progress now.
BTW welcome to the forums you've come to the right spot. Enjoy!

LATUBE 01-12-2007 06:36 AM

Thanks , and Details

Thanks for the warm welcome from those who responded to my first post. I bought my Airstream 345 in FT Worth Texas ....flew out and drove it back home to Tennessee. It is in excellent condition(i will post pictures soon) and only needs cosmetic work. My wife and kids show horses during the summer months, and this was purchased to be their home away from home as they travel the country during the show season. I have cleaned up the interior and begun to reupholster everything. I have redone other motorhomes but this is my first airstream......I am amazed at how well it handles on the road and I love the classic style. I am contemplating polishing the exterior to a mirror finish....any thoughts or warnings?

bfred 01-12-2007 05:31 PM

LAT-TUBE
Good luck. A lot of work, but worth it when it is polished. Be sure to check out the Perfect polish website.

GStephens 01-12-2007 09:02 PM

Aaah! Aaah! Mmmm! Uuugh! You realize that the 1984 models have a different finish than the earlier models and won't polish to a mirror finish like those built in 1980 and before will do. I'm sure, or I hope, that some of the more expert members also will speak up concerning this issue, but I'm certain I am correct. The '84 has a milled finish. Look at your unit. You will see the tiny milled ridges in the finish running horizontal along the coach. To get a mirror finish on your motor home, would require that you polish out those ridges and that is just not going to happen without a herculean effort on someone''s part.
GStephens