Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Stella's Kitchen (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/)
-   -   How Many People Actually Use Their Oven? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/how-many-people-actually-use-their-oven-28619.html)

ESCAPE POD 01-08-2007 03:02 PM

Oven use & smoke alarm

We were just in Death Valley last week, and our goal of making muffins was frustrated by the smoke alarm going off every time I tried to fire up the oven. At the time, I thought the siren was coming from the propane alarm, but today I discovered that the smoke alarm was the culprit. Good news is that the smoke alarm is easily detachable from its ceiling bracket and "stored" in a zip-lock baggie until oven use is over.

clancy_boy 01-08-2007 03:20 PM

At the Florida Rally this past weekend we cooked twice in our new oven. Baked a loaf of bread for the Pot Luck dinner and made Monkey Bread for the Sunday morning breakfast. We also had to remove the smoke alarm - funny thing the PO never installed the battery and when I did my check out I put a new one in - now I know why it was left out.

TinShack 01-08-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESCAPE POD
We were just in Death Valley last week, and our goal of making muffins was frustrated by the smoke alarm going off every time I tried to fire up the oven. At the time, I thought the siren was coming from the propane alarm, but today I discovered that the smoke alarm was the culprit. Good news is that the smoke alarm is easily detachable from its ceiling bracket and "stored" in a zip-lock baggie until oven use is over.

:angry: I have that problem too. I try and remember to take mine down before cooking. At least the furnace doesn't set it off any more:)

Silvertwinkie 01-08-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowolf
:angry: I have that problem too. I try and remember to take mine down before cooking. At least the furnace doesn't set it off any more:)

I found typically using the hood vent or the roof vent with the fantasitc vent on low keeps it from singing! :)

TinShack 01-08-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I found typically using the hood vent or the roof vent with the fantasitc vent on low keeps it from singing! :)

I do that in the summer, but in the winter it sucks the heat out too;) Brrrr

Silvertwinkie 01-08-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

I do that in the summer, but in the winter it sucks the heat out too;) Brrrr

I must be think skinned being from the Midwest! :D

TinShack 01-08-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

I must be think skinned being from the Midwest! :D

:lol: You know what weenies we Californians are!

Silvertwinkie 01-08-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

:lol: You know what weenies we Californians are!

Ya know, I'd have said that maybe a few years ago before I was there.

Got on the plane here in Chicago it was zero out. Landed in San Jose, it was 55 degrees and we all were in shorts, thinkin' Man is this great! Everyone thought we were nuts....then, after a few days, it seems chilly after it was in the high 60s.

uwe 01-08-2007 09:26 PM

We use our oven more frequently than we first thought we would. Baking, heating frozen snacks, cooking meat, it seems to work very well for us.

uwe 01-08-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Ya know, I'd have said that maybe a few years ago before I was there.

Got on the plane here in Chicago it was zero out. Landed in San Jose, it was 55 degrees and we all were in shorts, thinkin' Man is this great! Everyone thought we were nuts....then, after a few days, it seems chilly after it was in the high 60s.

In the high 70's, low 80's yesterday and today. Great day for a 200 mile motorcycle ride!

Silvertwinkie 01-08-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uwe
In the high 70's, low 80's yesterday and today. Great day for a 200 mile motorcycle ride!

Lucky dog! :)

RivetED 01-08-2007 11:30 PM

We've used it maybe twice in 3 years and we are retired and travel a lot. IMHO a combo convection/nuke makes better use of space.

janetb 01-08-2007 11:45 PM

Just came back from a weekend of not being able to bbq very much (cooold and windy) and the oven came in pretty handy. The smoke detector was an issue once or twice (lots of fanning with the placemats...) but after that, no problem. We didn't really bake in it, just used it for heating up dishes, doing the final touches on the garlic bread, etc. but it seemed pretty manageable.

borisnovas 01-12-2007 09:19 PM

Have Oven: Will Travel

Folks,
As Solo camper...
For what it's worth... In Winter...
Nothing beats a steaming hot 96 ounce Lasagne sitting on the oven rack with the oven door open, right by the table to fill your tummy on a cold frosty night-
With a nice bottle of burgundy, some Italiano bread, I tell you it warms the innards and heats the coach so's you feels toasty and full for bedtime-
In Summer...
A pan of double chocolate fudge brownies with a swallow of ice cold milk after each and every bite ...What more, I ask you, could anyone ask?
Isn't life Grand!!!??

BradS 01-13-2007 04:30 AM

Hot blueberry muffins are a great way to start the day. Keep an oven

davidz71 01-13-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borisnovas
Folks,
As Solo camper...
For what it's worth... In Winter...
Nothing beats a steaming hot 96 ounce Lasagne sitting on the oven rack with the oven door open, right by the table to fill your tummy on a cold frosty night-
With a nice bottle of burgundy, some Italiano bread, I tell you it warms the innards and heats the coach so's you feels toasty and full for bedtime-
In Summer...
A pan of double chocolate fudge brownies with a swallow of ice cold milk after each and every bite ...What more, I ask you, could anyone ask?
Isn't life Grand!!!??

I can't believe this. I just finished a bowl of New England clam chowder and I see this post on lasagne, burgundy and italian bread. I'm hungry again.

Thealt 01-13-2007 11:33 PM

lovin that oven

Heck yes we do.
Sorry to use such strong language there. I'm fairly new to owning an Airstream, but have wanted one for years. Always been a tent and campfire cooker but also bit of a vintage Airstream buff. I found through experience and time (mostly time) I like comfortable living, too. One thing for my remodel / update to the interior is to keep the oven at all costs. It's been a life saver or wife saver when the $$$ house oven died on its first self-clean. It cooked really great home made pizzas. The crust was rival to the restaurant I stole the recipe from :)

Morning biscuits made by a thermonuclear reactor seem to come out a bit like Toaster fries in the 70's. It was food when it started, but then what the heck happened?

I guess much depends on how you cook at home? If you are oven users at home, then you expect these luxuries in the field. If you are a micro-user and you only notice the oven in your house for the smell of the burning dust it gathered, then a microwave may be your luxury. I typically only use the micro at the house for warming and thawing. Oven for some serious cooking. Ditto for the stove top.

One thing I keep seeing people mention is the use of the oven as a storage place... Why not get a small microwave and store it in the oven? I've seem some small units out there that would probably squeeze in.

Best of luck, and if we see you camping, we will invite you over for roast duck with oven baked toaster-fries. :)

Alt

Streamer1 07-24-2007 12:29 PM

Just came back from a short weekend getaway and we used the oven twice. It worked like a charm. I love muffins and cake!

Towster 07-24-2007 12:37 PM

We always bring a package of Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls to pop in the oven for breakfast. It's such a small space, and heats up so quickly, that start to finish, I have fresh rolls in less than 15 minutes.

Goes great with a piping hot cappuccino.

Hmmm, I'm getting hungry . . .

Virginia

Minnie's Mate 07-24-2007 12:43 PM

We have the cook top with the under counter microwave/convection oven combo. We use the microwave a lot. My wife has used the convection oven a lot. I have used it to cook a Key Lime Pie once myself.:bb:

So yes, we use our oven.