Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Stella's Kitchen (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/)
-   -   How Many People Actually Use Their Oven? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/how-many-people-actually-use-their-oven-28619.html)

ArtStream 12-14-2006 08:16 AM

No Pizza 4 U

I guess what really matters is how much will YOU use the oven!

I've actually removed the stock Microwave in favor of a small one.

For me, boondocking requires an oven, and besides, boondocking or full hook-up, thin crust pizza with dough made from scratch can't be baked any other way!

Michael

Boondocker 12-14-2006 08:23 AM

I use mine alot. Bread and biscuts from scratch, nothing like it. I have made a very specific point of having everything on propane that can be, why have appliances that cant be used boondocking? And for me, the idea is to be boondocking as much as humanly possible.

empresley 12-14-2006 08:35 AM

Is Oven a four letter word?

Here is the thread that had numerous responses earlier this year:
(using advanced search techniques)

https://www.airforums.com/forum...highlight=oven

My own response to the question:
Our original '84 oven is still lounging where it has always been. The PO never used it and my one & only attempt at lighting the pilot was unsuccessful.
We use the cooktop on every trip and will probably eliminate the oven when we install a new counter-top. No LP oven is something we debate (mildly) when discussing kitchen remodeling. We will reduce the surface burners from 4 down to 2 and capture more countertop space.

cheers,
em.

Mel 12-14-2006 08:43 AM

The oven of our Safari lives in our garage, replaced by a microwave/convection combo. We're leaving the oven in the Caravel, so that will probably end up being our boondocking trailer. (Just doing what I can to justify having two Airstreams!) :rolleyes:

moosetags 12-14-2006 08:47 AM

We have used the oven a couple of times, primarily when camped in Daddy's yard in Jacksonville. For big family gatherings we use the oven and cooktop to supplement the stove in the house. On the road we have never used to oven or cooktop. We strap our microwave to the cooktop cover and use the oven to store our toaster oven. What can we say, when we are 'streaming, we like to eat out, get take out, or eat really simple.

Janet H 12-14-2006 08:55 AM

We use ours all the time.

Pies, bread, toast, English muffins, bagels, a large ham, a small turkey, warm plates on cold mornings (so the food won't get cold).

I learned at a recent rally that it will store 14 bottles of merlot.....

We save a lot of space by leaving the toaster, microwave, plate warmer and wine rack at home!

norbert 12-14-2006 08:58 AM

microwave pizza?.....:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
norby

sierrajb 12-14-2006 09:08 AM

Hi, I'm SierraJB, and I'm a User...

Count me a part of the oven-users support group! :flowers: :neutral: :huh: :blink: :sad:
The first and only trip (so far), we used our oven both mornings for breakfast. Worked great. We have no plans of breaking the habit...yet.

wbrownrr 12-14-2006 09:10 AM

Interesting...... our 2002 CCD doesn't even have an oven... just a cooktop. We love the extra storage (three large drawers) we get by not having the oven. Would we use an oven if we had it? Occasionally, I'm sure... but most of the time it would be used for storage. But, judging from the responses to this thread, some people use their ovens a lot. My wife IS considering bring along our countertop convection/toaster from home when we plan to hook up to shore power.

Steve & Susan 12-14-2006 09:18 AM

We use ours pretty frequently. Meat Loaf, roast chicken, small Pork Roast, small Roast Beef, etc. Makes the WHOLE campground smell GREAT!!!

Phil Gobie 12-14-2006 09:24 AM

Yes we use it

We have only spent 3 nights in it but we used it twice and it works great.

mandolindave 12-14-2006 09:24 AM

I use my oven every trip.

As a bread box. But I am planning to actually use it as an oven. I usually bring frozen food ( it helps keeps the beer cold ) I could warm the food up when it thaws.

flyfisher 12-14-2006 09:31 AM

We don't have, or need, an oven. My wife can heat all our TV dinners in the microwave.;)

mtnman 12-14-2006 09:38 AM

We dont even have a microwave! We boondock a lot and the oven is used a lot, especially in cold weather, It cooks biscuits and warms us at the same time!
We love all our argosy stuff!
mtnman

str8strm 12-14-2006 09:39 AM

We have a combo micro/convection and a cooktop and use all 3 regularly along with our BBQ.

jcanavera 12-14-2006 11:29 AM

We had the oven in the '01 Safari and now the microwave/convection oven in the Classic. At best we found the Safari's oven marginal and based on the heat buildup inside the trailer, its use was limited. I think Eric (Silvertwinkie) remembers Patty's ruined brownies at the first Moraine View forum rally in 2001!

The convection seems to be more controlable although there is a learning curve and there are issues about pan sizes that you can use. Also the regular oven was a repository for pots and pans.

Jack

BillTex 12-14-2006 12:05 PM

When we acquired our Excella it had no micro, but did have the oven. Our SOB was the opposite; micro but no oven. I wanted to get a micro right away, but it was camping season and out we went! We soon filled up the micro space (over the fridge) with other stuff (cereal, snacks, etc) and decided we would wait on the micro. We often prepare meals ahead (lasagna, etc) and found that we like the oven better than the micro. We decided that micro space was better used for storage. The reality is, we used a micro rarely-just to reheat stuff, so it has not been missed at all. In fact (I do all the cooking when we camp) and I like the oven much better. Pots/pans also stored in oven when not used!

Bill

empresley 12-14-2006 12:58 PM

Not much rhymes with oven

someone should make a moven.
but there might be a lot of shoven.
If only we could have more loven,
then we could forget about the oven.

em.

Diversity makes the microwave's platter go round and round.

ljmiii 12-14-2006 01:05 PM

Oven? What oven? The big box below our cooktop keeps things cold...(16' Bambi)

Condoluminum 12-14-2006 01:10 PM

We've used ours infrequently for baking frozen pizza and casseroles which don't work in the microwave.. We removed microwave over the fridge and added matching swing up cabinet door to make storage space, and then added a very small microwave to sit on floor in transit or credenza next to fridge (under hanging flat screen TV) when camped.. It works to reheat things. Add a wide-slot toaster for bagels and bread and a single cup coffee maker and meals are covered... I like the idea of using it for storage on the road...