Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Stella's Kitchen (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/)
-   -   How Many People Actually Use Their Oven? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/how-many-people-actually-use-their-oven-28619.html)

wagnerda 01-24-2008 03:35 PM

Hi all,

When spec'ing out our 19' Bambi we went for the standard oven because I had visions of fresh-baked blueberry muffins with morning coffee at some spectacular campsites... The other choice was the microwave as it was an either/or option on the 19' Bambi.

So we (I) went with the standard oven and 2 years later we have had immumerable morning coffees at spectacular campsites - but I have yet to get a fresh, oven baked blueberry muffin..... Just the ones out of the box are the ones I like...

In absolute fact we have never turned our oven on, not even once so I really don't even know if it works.

I know, I should just bake them myself.... One of these days...

But in the interim (2 years) we have only used our standard oven as a bread box. If you ever looked in it you will find -- Special K, donuts, bread, etc etc dry goods.

So, I guess we are in the category of those who never use the oven... But someday there will be fresh baked blueberry muffins - I can almost taste them..

regards, Dave

gparker 01-24-2008 04:26 PM

So what kind of "tile" does one need to even out the temp in the oven? Is it a Williams-Sonoma type device or is it literally a tile?

We use our oven on almost every outing. Just have to be careful not to burn on the bottom.

Greg

eikel1we 01-24-2008 04:32 PM

New Stove

The Magic Chef Gone Wild will soon be a thing of the past. I really wanted to keep it but it needed a new thermostat and alas none could be found for the old girl. It had two temps - off and call the fire dept.! We picked up a new Atwood Wedgewood Vision yesterday. Advise if you can keep your old stove working safely keep it!!! There is something to be said for the quality of the old MC (old anything it seems) as compared to the new one. The oven rack is really thin and flimsy looking. I've got old cake coolers sturdier than that! I hope the MC rack fits the Wedgie. And stainless steel won't chip like the thin enamel used today - even in residental use models. But I have an oven that I can bake in now soooo........ As they say, "They don't make 'em like they used to." We'll see how it works out.
Glad to know about the tile/pizza stone thing just in case.

sue

Ganglin 01-24-2008 05:43 PM

Sue - don't mean to be a scrounge (well, actually I do) - if you've not dumped the MC yet - will you sell me the knobs off it...?

Thanks....

Phil/Edee 01-24-2008 09:05 PM

I believe unglazed quarry tile is the best. A pizza stone is more expensive but guess it would work. We bought ours at Home Depot... just a red unglazed 12 inch tile.

Edee

vswingfield 01-24-2008 11:30 PM

Pizza Stones

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil/Edee
I believe unglazed quarry tile is the best. A pizza stone is more expensive but guess it would work. We bought ours at Home Depot... just a red unglazed 12 inch tile.

Edee

Sounds like what we knew as a Satillo tile (Saw-t-yo {ll is pounced as y}) tile, produced in Saltillo, Mexico. Many of them had tiny dog (or even baby human) tracks in the clay prior to firing.

As far as I can tell, the advantage of the pizza stone would be a greater area. After measuring the rack in my Magic Chef, there is room for a 16” by 14⅜” stone. I am a little concerned about the lack of space for air to circulate around the sides of the stone, both front and back. I am considering the plusses and minuses. I will check back in with later results.

k0dlc 01-25-2008 08:07 AM

That lil' Ovenette sounds great but, alas, none on eBay right now.

I had been thinking of replacing the MC in my Caravel with a 2 burner cooktop to gain some counter space but didn't really want to give up the oven.

--Dwight

Phil/Edee 01-25-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vswingfield
After measuring the rack in my Magic Chef, there is room for a 16” by 14⅜” stone. I am a little concerned about the lack of space for air to circulate around the sides of the stone, both front and back. I am considering the plusses and minuses.

You wouldn't want something that covers the whole area of the oven... Ours was only 12 inch tile that fit over the burner area. That will diffuse the direct heat from the flame and, I believe, create more circulation???:huh: Or something... anyway it really worked!

Edee

vswingfield 01-25-2008 10:14 AM

That’s what I thought

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil/Edee
You wouldn't want something that covers the whole area of the oven... Ours was only 12 inch tile that fit over the burner area. That will diffuse the direct heat from the flame and, I believe, create more circulation???:huh: Or something... anyway it really worked!

Edee

Thanks Edee,

That’s what I was thinking. I am going to check out other alternatives. The 14” by 16” stones I have seen online would really inhibit circulation.

eikel1we 01-25-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganglin
Sue - don't mean to be a scrounge (well, actually I do) - if you've not dumped the MC yet - will you sell me the knobs off it...?

Thanks....

LOL Ganglin! We both have colds and outside temps have dipped below *0 over night and less than 20* for a couple of days now. Currently a heat wave at 26* but it's nice and sunny. Anyhoo, ...... we haven't really talked about the install or disposal of the MC just yet. How about you pm me a reminder and I'll get back with you. Are you going to the Midwest in Morraine in June?

sue

vswingfield 01-25-2008 04:14 PM

The Vultures Are Coming out of the Woodwork!!!

Hi Sue,

Ganglin inspired me. I could use a shelf (wire rack?) for mine. I only have one and a second would be nice to have another.

I had started this post and the it hit me. “Gee, Vaughan, what about the one in the other trailer. You know, the one in the oven that doesn’t work.” Up and down both ice slicked steps and presto, a second shelf. A little rusty, but serviceable, yes? Dang! The door won’t close. :lol: It’s 16 5/8” deep and the one that fits the oven in the Excella is 15¼”.

Would certainly be glad to pay for shipping if and or when you decide something.

Oh, and a public thanks to Ganglin for all his help via PMs on my oven problems in the Excella.

crowbar68 01-25-2008 04:22 PM

oven

who doesn't use their oven? 2 words BISCUITS and gravy!

ditch the microwave. burn it w/ fire!:brows:

crowbar

vswingfield 01-25-2008 04:56 PM

Pizza Stone Update

Hi Edee,

I found a pizza stone that I liked online at American METALCRAFT’s website at Pizza Supplies pizza stones baking stone for pizzerias pizza parlor restaurants. It is the 15” x 12” Rectangle one that lists for $12.00. My oven is 16¾” wide and 17” deep, so that leaves plenty of room for circulation. The rounded corners also will help. The only problem was that I could not locate one online, only the 16” x 14” version.

The University of Arkansas at Little Rock closed early today :D due to freezing rain, giving me a chance to drop in to my favorite restaurant supply. They had them in stock for $8.64. Restaurant supply stores are a great resource. Professional equipment is durable and usually much less expensive than the designer stuff.

I’ll probably try out the stone with canned biscuits tomorrow morning.

Phil/Edee 01-25-2008 09:22 PM

Sounds good... let us know how it works! BTW... my carrot cake turned out perfect yesterday... not dark on the bottom at all.:)

bighowdytex 01-25-2008 11:57 PM

I have an older smaller GE microwave oven and it just fits (barely) within my 67 Overlander's Magic Chef Oven cavity. So I have the ability to use the microwave and MC...just not at the same time of course...and the microwave is out of sight and out of the way most of the time.

eikel1we 01-26-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Hi Sue,

"Ganglin inspired me. I could use a shelf (wire rack?) for mine. I only have one and a second would be nice to have another. "

........"The door won’t close. :lol: It’s 16 5/8” deep and the one that fits the oven in the Excella is 15¼”........."

I'm hoping the MC rack will fit in the Wedgie - yes, 2 would be nice. How about bending the extra 1 3/8" to fit? I may use that idea myself if necessary and if it would work.

sue

vswingfield 01-26-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eikel1we
I'm hoping the MC rack will fit in the Wedgie - yes, 2 would be nice. How about bending the extra 1 3/8" to fit? I may use that idea myself if necessary and if it would work.

sue

Hi Sue,

I may do that. Let us know how you like the Wedgie.

eikel1we 01-26-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Hi Sue,

I may do that. Let us know how you like the Wedgie.

It'll take a little time before I can try out the Wedgie. The cut opening is a bit generous so I'll be checking to see if there is a trim kit for the install. Wish us luck on all this - we need it as Mr. & Mrs. DIY Handyfixit don't always live here !!! In that case it's off to the rv center.

Ganglin 01-26-2008 04:23 PM

Glad I Made You Chuckle

Quote:

Originally Posted by eikel1we
LOL Ganglin! We both have colds and outside temps have dipped below *0 over night and less than 20* for a couple of days now. Currently a heat wave at 26* but it's nice and sunny. Anyhoo, ...... we haven't really talked about the install or disposal of the MC just yet. How about you pm me a reminder and I'll get back with you. Are you going to the Midwest in Morraine in June?

sue

Sue,

Hope the cold is better. No one will ever say about me that I didn't jump on an opportunity when it appeared. Are you sure your old one is toast? If you want to keep it you may try adjusting it first before you trash it. Mine was out 60 degrees to start - it's now +/- 2 degrees.

As for Moraine - I'd love to but.... I've spent over a year working on the 71 and not done yet - that's on a trailer that was fully towable when I bought her. Since I've only towed it about 100 miles - think it's best to spend the late summer here in central Ohio getting used to her. Will send you a PM about the knobs in case you decide to trash the old one. Appreciate it....

Don Boyd 01-26-2008 05:36 PM

Hello everyone,
we love our oven, when we take the grandbabies camping they have to have their cookies. Don