Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Stella's Kitchen (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/)
-   -   How Many People Actually Use Their Oven? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/how-many-people-actually-use-their-oven-28619.html)

kneal 12-13-2006 10:50 PM

How Many People Actually Use Their Oven?

Just curious to see how many people actually us the Oven funcion as opposed to the cook top? Looking at replacing my oven with a cooktop on a remodel and just curious to see how many people actually use it.

Thanks!

safari57 12-13-2006 11:02 PM

We never use our oven. We are going to turf it and put a microwave in its place. Our friends insist they use there's but it turns out they use it for storage...:lol: , not for cooking.

Barry

scottanlily 12-13-2006 11:05 PM

Our 60 trdwnd is right out side the house and when our oven in the house lost the thermocouple /burner issue ,we used the oven in the trailer for a
few days .Worked great ,cooked well ,just like the house oven ,cookies ,pies
and other stuff my wife wanted to cook .We have used it to make a pie or cookies while camping .Cannot make them in a microwave ,never the same .
french bread with butter is great ,right from the oven out in the boonies.

Scott of scottanlily

GreggH 12-13-2006 11:12 PM

We do

We use ours enough to keep it. We find we use it when at a rally or group camping and when making things for pot luck dinners. Microwave just doesn't do the same job the oven does. We also store things, bread/baked goods, in it when not in use.
GreggH & CyndiH

wkerfoot 12-13-2006 11:13 PM

We have used the oven a few times, made a berry crisp at the International for two potlucks. A microwave is great for popcorn, making hot chocolate or warming up something, but it only works when you are hooked up, the gas oven will work all the time.

Bill

codybear 12-13-2006 11:13 PM

oven use

Hi,

We use our stove top and oven regularly! We bake, broil, and roast in there all the time!:)

Safari Tim 12-13-2006 11:16 PM

We never used our oven in my '71. So on the '60 remodel we are going with a cook top and convection microwave underneath.

Silvertwinkie 12-13-2006 11:26 PM

We use ours all the time. Norby even took his high end thermometer and verified that the temp on the oven is accurate this past summer. :D

azflycaster 12-13-2006 11:31 PM

We use it every trip.

myboyburt 12-13-2006 11:32 PM

Hmmmmmm

I think I've seen this on a thread before.....

Anyway. We use our oven all the time. Love being able to bake when we are boondocking (this is Leon's job, my job is to clean up after him).

Silvertwinkie 12-13-2006 11:33 PM

I wouldn't mind having both a convection oven and a regular oven. One as a luxury item and one for when we boondock. :D

Motoman 12-13-2006 11:41 PM

Our CCD has both an oven and a microwave. We use our oven ocassionally and ocassionally use our microwave. Often we are not connected to shore power so we store bread, butter and other soft goods in the microwave. We will be reconstructing our 1960 Traveler which was gutted when we got it. We will be putting an oven, not just a cook top since we plan to boon-dock with it in more out of the way places than we currently use the CCD in. Persoanlly I rarely use a mcronwave even at homeand prefer using the stove top and oven.

InsideOut 12-13-2006 11:47 PM

We use our oven alot! Especially boondocking...leave the microwave home (we don't have one in the trailer at all) camping is for slowing down anyway - right? We don't have a TV in the trailer either. Sometimes I take my laptop...but only on long trips where I need to stay in touch at work.

Shari :flowers:

Silvertwinkie 12-13-2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut
camping is for slowing down anyway - right?

Great point. Couldn't agree more. :)

Think we've used our microwave (built in) 6-7 times in 3 seasons...if that.

str8strm 12-13-2006 11:55 PM

We have the microwave/convection oven combo and use them both, every trip.

Westfalia 12-14-2006 12:07 AM

We have the oven only, and use it almost everytime we camp, unless the forcast is for very hot weather. Nothing wakes a person up better than the smell of fresh coffee and biscuts in the morning!!! We almost exclusively boondock or dry camp, so a nuke-o-wave won't work for us. I'm with Shari, leave it at home.

FreshAir 12-14-2006 02:41 AM

The PO of our Tradewind says the oven doesn't work. It must have stopped working eons ago as it is new inside. We probably will not miss it but I like everything working. It must be fixable looking as new as it does.
Neil.

thecatsandi 12-14-2006 03:53 AM

If I had one I would use it. Brownies just do not turn out the same in the convection Microwave.

vajeep 12-14-2006 07:57 AM

All the time

We use it all the time. You have to try Melissa's "ho-bo" packs. Sliced onions, potatoes, fresh herbs salt and pepper....
Come on spring....

rickandsandi 12-14-2006 08:10 AM

There is not a trip when our oven is not used! We use it for everything from cinnamon buns in the morning, making toast & english muffins and Sandi's famous macaroni & cheese! And all those pot-luck dinners!

ArtStream 12-14-2006 08:16 AM

No Pizza 4 U

I guess what really matters is how much will YOU use the oven!

I've actually removed the stock Microwave in favor of a small one.

For me, boondocking requires an oven, and besides, boondocking or full hook-up, thin crust pizza with dough made from scratch can't be baked any other way!

Michael

Boondocker 12-14-2006 08:23 AM

I use mine alot. Bread and biscuts from scratch, nothing like it. I have made a very specific point of having everything on propane that can be, why have appliances that cant be used boondocking? And for me, the idea is to be boondocking as much as humanly possible.

empresley 12-14-2006 08:35 AM

Is Oven a four letter word?

Here is the thread that had numerous responses earlier this year:
(using advanced search techniques)

https://www.airforums.com/forum...highlight=oven

My own response to the question:
Our original '84 oven is still lounging where it has always been. The PO never used it and my one & only attempt at lighting the pilot was unsuccessful.
We use the cooktop on every trip and will probably eliminate the oven when we install a new counter-top. No LP oven is something we debate (mildly) when discussing kitchen remodeling. We will reduce the surface burners from 4 down to 2 and capture more countertop space.

cheers,
em.

Mel 12-14-2006 08:43 AM

The oven of our Safari lives in our garage, replaced by a microwave/convection combo. We're leaving the oven in the Caravel, so that will probably end up being our boondocking trailer. (Just doing what I can to justify having two Airstreams!) :rolleyes:

moosetags 12-14-2006 08:47 AM

We have used the oven a couple of times, primarily when camped in Daddy's yard in Jacksonville. For big family gatherings we use the oven and cooktop to supplement the stove in the house. On the road we have never used to oven or cooktop. We strap our microwave to the cooktop cover and use the oven to store our toaster oven. What can we say, when we are 'streaming, we like to eat out, get take out, or eat really simple.

Janet H 12-14-2006 08:55 AM

We use ours all the time.

Pies, bread, toast, English muffins, bagels, a large ham, a small turkey, warm plates on cold mornings (so the food won't get cold).

I learned at a recent rally that it will store 14 bottles of merlot.....

We save a lot of space by leaving the toaster, microwave, plate warmer and wine rack at home!

norbert 12-14-2006 08:58 AM

microwave pizza?.....:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
norby

sierrajb 12-14-2006 09:08 AM

Hi, I'm SierraJB, and I'm a User...

Count me a part of the oven-users support group! :flowers: :neutral: :huh: :blink: :sad:
The first and only trip (so far), we used our oven both mornings for breakfast. Worked great. We have no plans of breaking the habit...yet.

wbrownrr 12-14-2006 09:10 AM

Interesting...... our 2002 CCD doesn't even have an oven... just a cooktop. We love the extra storage (three large drawers) we get by not having the oven. Would we use an oven if we had it? Occasionally, I'm sure... but most of the time it would be used for storage. But, judging from the responses to this thread, some people use their ovens a lot. My wife IS considering bring along our countertop convection/toaster from home when we plan to hook up to shore power.

Steve & Susan 12-14-2006 09:18 AM

We use ours pretty frequently. Meat Loaf, roast chicken, small Pork Roast, small Roast Beef, etc. Makes the WHOLE campground smell GREAT!!!

Phil Gobie 12-14-2006 09:24 AM

Yes we use it

We have only spent 3 nights in it but we used it twice and it works great.

mandolindave 12-14-2006 09:24 AM

I use my oven every trip.

As a bread box. But I am planning to actually use it as an oven. I usually bring frozen food ( it helps keeps the beer cold ) I could warm the food up when it thaws.

flyfisher 12-14-2006 09:31 AM

We don't have, or need, an oven. My wife can heat all our TV dinners in the microwave.;)

mtnman 12-14-2006 09:38 AM

We dont even have a microwave! We boondock a lot and the oven is used a lot, especially in cold weather, It cooks biscuits and warms us at the same time!
We love all our argosy stuff!
mtnman

str8strm 12-14-2006 09:39 AM

We have a combo micro/convection and a cooktop and use all 3 regularly along with our BBQ.

jcanavera 12-14-2006 11:29 AM

We had the oven in the '01 Safari and now the microwave/convection oven in the Classic. At best we found the Safari's oven marginal and based on the heat buildup inside the trailer, its use was limited. I think Eric (Silvertwinkie) remembers Patty's ruined brownies at the first Moraine View forum rally in 2001!

The convection seems to be more controlable although there is a learning curve and there are issues about pan sizes that you can use. Also the regular oven was a repository for pots and pans.

Jack

BillTex 12-14-2006 12:05 PM

When we acquired our Excella it had no micro, but did have the oven. Our SOB was the opposite; micro but no oven. I wanted to get a micro right away, but it was camping season and out we went! We soon filled up the micro space (over the fridge) with other stuff (cereal, snacks, etc) and decided we would wait on the micro. We often prepare meals ahead (lasagna, etc) and found that we like the oven better than the micro. We decided that micro space was better used for storage. The reality is, we used a micro rarely-just to reheat stuff, so it has not been missed at all. In fact (I do all the cooking when we camp) and I like the oven much better. Pots/pans also stored in oven when not used!

Bill

empresley 12-14-2006 12:58 PM

Not much rhymes with oven

someone should make a moven.
but there might be a lot of shoven.
If only we could have more loven,
then we could forget about the oven.

em.

Diversity makes the microwave's platter go round and round.

ljmiii 12-14-2006 01:05 PM

Oven? What oven? The big box below our cooktop keeps things cold...(16' Bambi)

Condoluminum 12-14-2006 01:10 PM

We've used ours infrequently for baking frozen pizza and casseroles which don't work in the microwave.. We removed microwave over the fridge and added matching swing up cabinet door to make storage space, and then added a very small microwave to sit on floor in transit or credenza next to fridge (under hanging flat screen TV) when camped.. It works to reheat things. Add a wide-slot toaster for bagels and bread and a single cup coffee maker and meals are covered... I like the idea of using it for storage on the road...

pmclemore 12-14-2006 01:15 PM

This discussion has placed me even more firmly on the fence. My safari didn't come with an oven, just a micro that hasn't ever worked. I was just about ready to spring for a nice little panasonic micro to replace it - and now realize that we really didn't miss it that much as we dry camp as often as not. An oven would be nice, but not sure I want to invest that much. So here I sit.

Condoluminum 12-14-2006 01:36 PM

Mystery Switch?

Pmclemore...

If your microwave NEVER worked, you may have missed the secret mystery wall switch often mounted over the stove, or in one of the overhead cabinets aboive the sink on the curb side. The switch flips between power to the air conditioner and power to the microwave, since both couldn't be powered up at the same time... Airstream might have done a better job of labeling...

Though the switch is described in the owners manual, we were slow to discover its function, after we had concluded the outlet over the fridge was dead... We prefer our arrangement of small portable microwave and over-fridge storage anyway, but the switch might bring your microwave to life...

Foiled Again 12-14-2006 01:36 PM

Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmclemore
This discussion has placed me even more firmly on the fence. My safari didn't come with an oven, just a micro that hasn't ever worked. I was just about ready to spring for a nice little panasonic micro to replace it - and now realize that we really didn't miss it that much as we dry camp as often as not. An oven would be nice, but not sure I want to invest that much. So here I sit.

I don't use my oven all that much - but I just got one of those long match thingies that will make it a whole lot easier to light, so that may change.

Call a SALVAGE YARD and see if they've got a wrecked or abandoned RV that has an oven you can buy inexpensively. I'll bet you can find one for $50. It doesn't have to come from an Airstream... like a furnace or water heater there are only a few brands that are common to many RV's.

Paula Ford

ArtStream 12-14-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empresley
someone should make a moven.
but there might be a lot of shoven.
If only we could have more loven,
then we could forget about the oven.

em.

Diversity makes the microwave's platter go round and round.

Nicely done em:lol:

overlander63 12-14-2006 01:55 PM

We use out oven regularly. In fact, I just went to great pains to replace our ailing oven with a unit that works as intended.

bhayden 12-14-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet
We use ours all the time.I learned at a recent rally that it will store 14 bottles of merlot.....

Spoken like a true NW native :D

When needing to feed a group we've bought one of the frozen lasagnas that come in an aluminum pan. Starts out as a great ice block to get the fridge on track and then "oven time" is a great time to hang out and talk. Those microwave conversations just arn't the same ;)

No microwave/toaster oven yet. I'm fence sitting on adding this. Having a hard time justifying the additional space it'll take up. Guess I'll have to see how many bottles of merlot I can fit in one!

-Bernie

fltlevel510 12-14-2006 03:45 PM

What Oven?

We have a stove top and a convection microwave which is great. We do most of our cooking out side the Airstream with the electric skillet or grill. When boondocking we usually stick to simple meals that can be prepared on the stove top or the grill outside.

Streamer1 12-14-2006 03:56 PM

Actually have not used it yet (AS has been winterized and is now in storage) but I guarantee we will use it on our first trip out probably in late March 2007.

BDandTTs 12-14-2006 04:03 PM

Yes, we use the oven

Bandit is still new to us, and in our first week of camping we used it only once. BUT, when the clock (really the 'brains') on my house-installed oven stopped working, we used the trailer oven for two weeks until we got a replacement.
The two major justifications I give for towing a trailer are 1) it's a comfortable, safe rolling dog house, and 2) it's a travelling kitchen which allows us to drink good coffee and wine and eat good food no matter where we roam. As others have said, meat loaf, roasts, baked chicken ... and, fresh baked bread. Yummmmmm!

dmac 12-14-2006 04:19 PM

If we lived in a mobile home perhaps I would like RV parks (they look and feel much alike)... but we don't. We love Forest Service/National Park/State Park CG's, and they typically do not have hookups. I try to minimize use of the generator to avoid disrupting campers around us. So we use the oven... and love it!

kneal 12-14-2006 07:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses! Looks like it really depends on how you camp and what you eat....I think I will probably keep the oven as it can be used for storage anyway if I don't use it. But then again, who knows. Thanks again!

PWRSTRK 12-14-2006 07:56 PM

We use our oven all the time. We have both oven and microwave. Would give up the oven before the microwave.

What's camping without some fresh brownies, bread or a pie?

:-)

campadk 12-14-2006 08:09 PM

We have'nt decided if we should use ours.

I bet I could store a lot of clothes in that space....

Is it dangerous to store your clothes in the oven? :D

I have to choose between my own closet... and having my wife able to bake cholocate cakes... decisions decisions.

codybear 12-14-2006 08:39 PM

campadk - you could have nice toasty and warm clothes if you store your clothes in the oven!

TinShack 12-14-2006 09:12 PM

Boondocking?

We boondock much more often than not. The microwave doesn't work without AC so we hardly use it...hate to run the generator unless absolutely necessary.

The oven is used every trip. We use it to cook roasts, make baked and oven fried potatoes, bake biscuits, make toast... and so on. We cooked Thanksgiving dinner in it last Thanksgiving. I also keep a meat thermometer in the AS for roasting. MMMM! I love the smell of a roast in the oven!

We would be lost without our oven.

Fyrzowt 12-15-2006 05:56 PM

Had it both ways...

Our last A/S had a micro, no oven. I had plans on removing the micro and installing an oven, which would fit our needs more closely. A Semi-truck changed those plans for us by running into the rear of the Safari. We now have a GT with an oven. We like it much better, more versitile IMHO.
Dave

Sugarfoot 12-15-2006 06:45 PM

DEFINITELY use the oven, bakes better than the one at the house and is more true to temperature. And the smell of home baking wafts out of the vent and through the campground making everyone envious. :chef: Not bad for a 46 year old appliance.

ROBERTSUNRUS 12-15-2006 07:22 PM

:) Hi, We have an oven, with stove top, and a microwave. We as of now have not used the oven, but did light it just for a test. We use the stove top and microwave a lot. We precook at home in our oven and reheat in the trailer's microwave. Frozen, boneless, turkey precooked at home and a few jars of turkey gravy is soooo good. This was part of our first Thanksgiving dinner in our trailer. Use the oven as a bread box! I like that idea. But now that my wife is retired, she promissed me that she will become "Suzie Homemaker" and that will include useing the oven. Of coarse now I still have to retire to benfit from this. We also have, in the trailer, a small electric coffee maker and a toaster that looks like an Airstream, sort of, and a stove top coffee pot for use when boon docking, not used yet.
:) For microwave pizza reheated, not cooking, I put it on a plate with a little dab of butter covered with plastic wrap, Uuuuuummmmm sooooooo good.

:) :) Bob:) :)

Tinsel Loaf 12-15-2006 07:55 PM

Absolutely use the oven. Nothing like the smell of fresh baked goods and eating cornbread while it's still warm right out of the oven. Smelling pumpkin pie cooking in an Airstream is just awesome

alan 12-15-2006 08:00 PM

Oven

I use it enough to have paid a small fortune to replace the temperature control. In warm weather, I typically cook outside using the gas grill. In chilly weather, the heat from the oven when cooking cornbread or biscuits is quite pleasant.

overlander63 12-15-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan
In chilly weather, the heat from the oven when cooking cornbread or biscuits is quite pleasant.

Hey, that's a way to heat the trailer with the oven without people saying you are crazy! I like it!:D

TinShack 12-15-2006 11:25 PM

Yummm

We are spending Christmas in the AS. I'm going to cook a standing rib roast in the oven. Yumm. I can imagine the aroma wafting through the AS already. When it's done, I'll bake some fresh biscuits to a golden brown to go with it. :chef: I feel like Pavlov's dog. The microwave just doesn't cut it.

str8strm 12-15-2006 11:37 PM

Steve and Jan: If we didn't already have a bunch of family scheduled to show up here on Christmas, we'd be drooling outside your door at Lake San Antonio. You paint a very tasty picture. Enjoy!

TinShack 12-15-2006 11:44 PM

Make some cardboard cutouts of the two of you, leave at home and come join us! You won't have to drool outside, you can come in and drool!

brunoffrance 12-16-2006 01:42 AM

Each time we eat PIZZAs; Always a great moment , for the odor and the ramp fire view. Great feeling to be independant in the trailer when you can cook with good tools.

Bruno.

empresley 12-16-2006 04:04 AM

What we need is some data....

Just when I thought there was no clear answer to the question...
There is science. (be patience, it is a lot of data)

https://www.dfrc.wisc.edu/NIRS2003pdf...rying.ver2.pdf

Is haylage as good as cornbread?

I feel a poem coming on... or is it a magrine?

Standby.

empresley 12-16-2006 04:20 AM

Poem: Microwaved for 10 min. Half-baked for 30.

There has come a day
and you are not sure of the way
What ever did folks do
when there was only one way?

There has come a day
when some might say
you don’t need one of those
you need one of these.
How lucky folks were
when there was only one way.

There will come a day
when everyone will pay
for someone to tell or show them the way.
Folks were so lucky
when there was much less to do and say.

There will come a day
when we will all want to play
Pray, folks won’t divide up in Littles and Bigs.
We could have the best of both worlds
and find life is good in our shiny rigs.

There will come a day
when we stand back and say,
all that time spent wondering yeah or nay
we should have been searching for
more room to play.

There will come a day
when we drop down and say,
we can have Both and use them at will
To nuke or broil, to reheat or bake
folks will all smile and and join hands at a rally

because the food will be good
and the friendships will last.

em.

Travelking 12-17-2006 11:31 AM

We use ours and love it. Great for biscuits on cold mornings.

scottanlily 12-17-2006 09:57 PM

I'll add a little to robertsunrus on the stove top coffee pot .We use vintage appliances when we use the airstream ,GE chrome toaster and a waffle iron
from the rexall drug store back in the 60s I think .remember when the drug stores had their own line of products and stuff ,they had something for everyone it seemed .We use a werever stove top perculator coffee pot
and I will say it makes a great cup of coffee ,really tastes good .Agree
also with sugarfoot on the oven ,very true to temperature ,seems to do better than the house oven .

Scott

camperski 12-17-2006 10:23 PM

Biscuits...gotta have biscuits

or sometimes crescent rolls...brown and serve rolls too! But biscuits in the morning are critcal too camping. I'm in charge of breakfast in our camping group (usually 8-10)..most mornings its Biscuits, Eggs, Pancakes, Bacon and Grits. it seems everything but the grits go a biscuit if your under the age of 12..that way you can run, jump, ride a bike and eat.

Oh yeah...someone added a microwave under counter in my 53 Spartan...Tam says "its gotta go"

nvestysly 12-18-2006 06:34 AM

Turducken is Delicious in an Airstream!

We have cooked Turducken on two occasions and also baked pies and cakes. We would not be without the oven. Granted, storage is a premium but an oven is a necessity for us.

Check out Cajun Food - Turducken - Crawfish - King Cakes - CajunGrocer.com for Turducken. Including delivery, the price is about what you would pay for good quality lunch meat. Everything except the wing and drumstick bones are edible.

Looking forward to some fluffy, fresh-baked biscuits later this week.

Lucius

TinShack 12-18-2006 11:18 AM

Turducken

I never heard of that but it sounds delicious. I'll have to get me some. I can just smell the aroma wafting around the Airstream now...

dmreilly10000 12-18-2006 11:23 AM

Yes

I did in my prior Airstreams. It's hard to get a good frozen pizza that's been microwaved.

bhayden 12-18-2006 12:57 PM

Back Yard Camping

Boy are we (and the neighbors) glad there's an oven in the AS. The NW's big wind storm has left us withouth power for four days and it's likely to be 3-4 more until power is restored. The house has electricity from the generator we bought "for the trailer". We can run the gas furnace which is good since temperatures are dipping below freezing at night but since the range is 220V we've been cooking in the trailer. I can't remember frozen pizza ever tasting so good :cool:

This little inconvenience gives us a small appreciation of what the South goes through following huricanes. It's also a wake-up call as to how unprepared this region is for a big natural disaster like a major earthquake.

-Bernie

robertsonmd 12-18-2006 03:40 PM

We have used ours lot of times. It's just not good in the summertime!
I need to replace the door handle on the majic chef. Does anyone know where to find parts?

Thanks,
Dave

Eric 28 12-18-2006 03:50 PM

We use the stove and oven all the time, whileon the road.

Don Stewart 12-20-2006 06:02 PM

Oven Use

We have a 99 Excella and use the oven daily, from making toast in the morning to roasting in the evening. We always barbecue outside to keep the cooking orders out but would be lost without the oven.

davidz71 12-23-2006 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kneal
Just curious to see how many people actually us the Oven funcion as opposed to the cook top? Looking at replacing my oven with a cooktop on a remodel and just curious to see how many people actually use it.

Thanks!

I use my oven for biscuits and to warm up foods I prepare in advance such as King Ranch Casserole, Chicken enchiladas, etc. The cooktop gets most of the use but it sure is nice to have the oven when you need it. I don't have a microwave in the trailer yet so the oven is a necessity at times. I've even had other Airstreamers borrow the oven during rallys because theirs wasn't working.

JStanley 12-23-2006 10:43 PM

The oven is used on every trip.
But how often? You ask.
More often than the microwave,
but less often than the toilet,
and about as often as the shower.

wheel interested 12-24-2006 12:14 AM

Martin (empresley) Did you just write that poem for us? We have a traveling minstrel of sorts, too cool. Great poem, liked the humour, we need to laugh at ourselves, breath of fresh air, and I like the unity ending. Clever. Oh you talented people here!

I posted before but I will again. We use the oven, nice to help out the furnace with some baking or heating up the ironstone dishes to keep our food warm longer in cool weather, don't always have electric. I made pizza in the frying pan in July during the heat wave. :neutral: We no longer have a microwave but I would use it if there was one built in, but not instead of, no no.

empresley 12-24-2006 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheel in
Martin (empresley) Did you just write that poem for us?

If you own an Airstream ;) then yes, I wrote that for you.
Who would have thought; non-edible inspiration coming from an oven.

Thanks for the comments & Merry Christmas!,

em.

ps Would you like an original Christmas poem with subtle reference to airstreams?

azflycaster 12-24-2006 10:14 AM

Many people overlook the fact that the oven is a multi use device.
  • It is used for cooking
  • It is a storage area
  • It is a smoke alarm tester:blush:
What else do you use your oven for?

mytehawk 12-24-2006 02:58 PM

I rarely use the oven because it's a 'through the wall into the bedroom' design of the 60's (?) and I'm too lazy to a.) take all the crap that's stored in front and on top of it out of the way and b.) take anything I didn't want overheated out of the cupboards above it. I don't think this was Airstream's best design decision.

lebolewis 12-24-2006 04:09 PM

Hot cornbread

Use mine all the time! How are you going to bake hot Cornbread if you don't use your oven?!! Nothing like hot cornbread and butter....with good soup! Bill

Ganglin 12-26-2006 12:17 AM

We just purchased our 71 in July. Recalibrated the oven - it was 75 degrees off. Now within 2 degrees.

I wouldn't be without out it. The potential is unlimited. First use after recalibration was an apple crumb pie (frozen) and passed it out to the kids camping next door - they were thrilled (another priceless camping smile).

For "robertsonmd" - found a replacement handle at Post's Trailer Supply here in Columbus. They dug it out of a dusty box in the attic and said they had a few more. Two holes were a perfect fit drilled two more with a 3/16th's bit - solid replacement.

Yumm cornbread....

empresley 01-02-2007 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
DO WE USE OUR OVEN!?? You Betícha!

Our first ever standing rib roast prepared for our New Yearís Airstream Dinner.

4.5 hrs. at 200 degrees.
30 min. at 400 to brown.

Rested at 140 internal temp. for 30 mins. before carving.

This is our first use of the oven and it may have been it's first. This 1984 original looks brand new on the inside.

TIMETOGO 01-02-2007 08:39 PM

Thanks for the call. I would have drove all the way down just for the smell (and a little taste).

JimGolden 01-02-2007 09:07 PM

Frozen Pizzas Rule!

Well I've not used the one in my Excella yet. But when I was trying to decide if my family would even want to camp in a travel trailer, I borrowed my dad's "old" 1999 Terry 26 footer and we used the oven daily. Nothing like doing Red Baron pizza's in the oven to feed dear ol' dad and the hungry pack of children :)

The one in my '77 looks brand new too. So the string of PO's must not have used it much. They certainly didn't clean it up to look new, if the rest of the coach was any indication :brows:

C Johnson 01-03-2007 06:53 AM

How else would I bake Cinnamon rolls to eat while having my morning coffee ? Or biscuits to have with dinner.

I use my oven at least once or twice every trip out.

A hint to anyone who is going to use their oven in an older trailer.

Get an oven thermometer and check the temp to make sure it is close to what the dial says. They can be easily adjusted to get within range. Just an FYI. Mine was off 75 degrees.

jdalrymple 01-03-2007 10:41 AM

We love bread, cheese and wine. We use it everyday we're out.

Boondocker 01-05-2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C Johnson
A hint to anyone who is going to use their oven in an older trailer.

Get an oven thermometer and check the temp to make sure it is close to what the dial says. They can be easily adjusted to get within range. Just an FYI. Mine was off 75 degrees.

How do you do that?

flyfshr 01-05-2007 03:01 PM

I can't remember a trip where we didn't use our oven. Besides, it makes a great storage area while traveling and since you have to open it to light it, you can't forget something is in there and catch it on fire. Our oven is original and Julie says it better to cook in and more accurate than our house oven and it's new. We have a couple of nesting dishtubs that fit in the sinks perfectly that ride in the oven while traveling and they're filled with all sorts of small items.

"Now we're cooking with fire, alright!"

Brad
FF

Ganglin 01-06-2007 09:28 PM

Gen Disarray - see this link for adjusting the oven temp.

https://www.airforums.com/forum...70s-28566.html

flitzwhopper 01-06-2007 10:02 PM

We use the overn to broil and bake. It works great!

Donna & MIke

GO Bob 01-06-2007 10:32 PM

I even carry a folding oven tent camping. My wife would not use the gas stove/oven the first couple of trips now I hear every time she cooks, When can I get a gas oven? I say, We have two, Lets go camping.

eikel1we 01-07-2007 02:04 AM

I use the 4 burner cook top but have not used the oven. I wanted to but we couldn't get it going. We've only camped several wknds. but since we may go south for a few wks. I plan to make use of it. Also, a PO installed a two shelf rack on the wall the other side of the range, above the foot of the twin bed, it was used for a TV. Our small micro fits well there while we're parked and takes up no precious space. If I had to choose, it would be the LP oven.

Alumi-Naught 01-07-2007 05:34 PM

Boy, Do I miss my oven from our 2002 Safari. I cooked homemade pizza, meatloafs, cookies, french fries, onion ring, and that's to name just a few. We used it every trip. We now own a 310 MH and all it has is a micro. Want to try and put an oven in place of the micro. Not sure if we can. But we're not ready for that project just yet.

gryphon 01-07-2007 06:30 PM

We don't have an oven in our airstream. Wish we did. We do have a combo convection/microwave and use it all the time. (been using a convection oven for 20 years in the house)

gryphon

janetb 01-07-2007 09:20 PM

We absolutely do use our oven and love it. Nothing cooks quite like it does in "the big house" so I do lots of monitoring...but so far so good! Temp's not too far off, and when camping, I try to keep it simple and easy so I'll probably never put the oven to a real challenge--like that gorgeous rib roast!

kitchenclose 01-08-2007 02:28 PM

I renovated my 66 Caravel and took out the stove/oven. What a mistake! Too late now as the new cabinets are custom. It would have been nice to smell muffins baking.

My solution - Dutch Oven cooking. Still need to monitor the oven temp but I'm cooking outside. The plus with Dutch Oven cooking - You can feed an army cooking in one pot.:lol: