Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   2007 Safari SE (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f396/)
-   -   Eek a leak (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f396/eek-a-leak-28571.html)

janetb 12-11-2006 10:39 PM

Eek a leak

Just had an terrific overnight shakedown cruise to a gorgeous local beach side campground. Intended it to be for two nights, sandwiched between some blustery storms and huge surf, but had a little leak issue, and headed back home early to determine the culprit. A little disappointing to cut things short, but after all--the reason for staying so close to home was to be able to trouble shoot any glitches with minimal trauma. So this is not whining. Really.
Anyway the squishy spot on the carpet that I stepped on in the middle of the night was apparently due to a little leaky compression fitting on the back of the toilet that only acted up once we put the H2O pump into action. It apparently got nicely absorbed into the bedroom carpet and then my socks. Not thrilled, but relieved this isn't a major plumbing issue, and that mildew and mold aren't in our future yet. If Terry can't fix it easily, it will go on the dealer-issue list.
But otherwise what great fun in our beautiful new Safari! Everything else worked smoothly, and we even found the beds (twins) to be a perfectly comfortable. I added some pillow top mattress pads and some down pillows and comforters, and all was very cozy. I'm an insomniac and believe me, comfy is an issue...I am so relieved to find that we can truly nestle into this new space.
Towing went well, but the crummy add-on mirrors were awful and we can't wait to get the new TV early next year. Nice big mirrors.
SC Streamer stopped by for a visit and we really enjoyed meeting another forum member! A true A/S lover (refurbishing a vintage Bambi) who has much invaluable camping knowledge. Another forum perk!
Cheers,
Janet

safari57 12-11-2006 11:00 PM

Glad to hear your outing was a success even if you did have to cut it short. Any time out camping is a great time, and when you get to visit with fellow forum members it's even more rewarding. I ended up putting memory foam on our beds and it works great as you are right, nothing beats a comfortable bed.

Hope you can get back out soon for a longer shake down of the trailer.

Barry

CanoeStream 12-11-2006 11:05 PM

Congrats! Shakedown cruises will reveal multiple other issues for you. Road movement and subjecting to normal use will make some things apparent that you'd never see on inspection. My experience was that I had a pretty full picture of warranty needs after my May thru September use this year (new Safari FB SE purchased in September of '05). It sounds like you have the corners of your mouth pointed upward! :)

doorgunner 12-11-2006 11:30 PM

Where??

tell us where need a report. Dillon beach or maybe south umm that state park by Gilroy on the coast last weekend musta been great. I enjoy the waves and wind in the winter. Glad you had a good shake down. See you at one of the gettogethers. You ever do some sort of shelter?

janetb 12-11-2006 11:42 PM

Our "shakedown" was at New Brighton State Park, site 75. There's another area in the campsite with full hook-ups but this and 73 are right on the cliff with killer views of the entire Monterey Bay, and well worth the boondocking. (Besides, they're near the bathrooms, and the campground has a big dump station.) Crashing waves are the best lullaby! Love the winter surf.
Happy trails.
Janet

ArtStream 12-12-2006 07:10 AM

Hi Janetb,

Just a heads-up for Terry.

If your WC is like mine, it is on an angle to the wall, and not parallel to the wall.

If this is the case, the 45 degree elbow that connects the plumbing to the compression fitting and toilet valve body has a lot of strain on it.

Try bending the 45 degree elbow to more like 30 degrees.

Also, I applied a PVC pipe dope which worked wonders on a leaky connection, so much better than Teflon tape.

Happy travels and welcome.

Michael

rickandsandi 12-12-2006 08:30 AM

Greetings Janet-
Glad to hear you had an OK trip with only minor problem. Keep you list for the dealer. We had more than the usual amount of problems with our '05 Safari but never lost faith with AS. SOunds like you have made your new home very cozy. We are all winterized, can't wait for Christmas with family and friends and then the long wait for spring.