Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1947 - 1949 Wee Wind (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Pics of my 1948 Wee Wind.... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f51/pics-of-my-1948-wee-wind-27917.html)

vonkamp 11-16-2006 11:12 AM

Pics of my 1948 Wee Wind....

...I just bought.

Looking for emblems, interior parts, and advice :) .

https://picasaweb.google.com/BVK1964/...eamWeeWindPics

What do you think?

Cheers,
Baron

Mel 11-16-2006 11:21 AM

Very cool - thanks for sharing your pictures. Definitely has lots of potential! :D

vajeep 11-16-2006 12:13 PM

Great photos! Welcome to the Vintage Club!!:)

safari57 11-16-2006 12:37 PM

A great find. And an open canvas as far as how you redo it to meet your needs. Now the fun part begins. Enjoy and make sure to post progress pictures.

Barry

moosetags 11-16-2006 12:59 PM

Way cool!!

A-Merry-Can 11-16-2006 01:07 PM

VERY nice! where do people keep finding such cool units?? i seem to attract 60's basket cases!

jp

kim McCumber 11-16-2006 01:26 PM

Oh, she's awesome! Can't wait to see the progress. I love that stainless steel cabinet! What a great find. Kim

dmaiden 11-16-2006 01:51 PM

Oh my gosh, how cool is that? Noticed the pipe hitch, that must be the pipe frame I've heard about. What a neat little trailer. Congratulations.

rebel beck 11-16-2006 01:53 PM

What a great looking find and looks to be in great shape. Keep us posted with the progress.

Chuck 11-16-2006 03:26 PM

very cool! interesting, there are no tail lights...and no marker lights anywhere. they must have originally had at least a couple of tail lights?

looks like you got a couple of 1970's airstream cabinets to go with it. :lol:

vonkamp 11-16-2006 03:34 PM

All the lights were removed by the previous owner. Some of them I have but I do need to get some tail lights.

Yea, those cabinets were in there when I got it. I doubt I will use them. At least in there, might make some cool garage cabinets tho :).

vonkamp 11-16-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
VERY nice! where do people keep finding such cool units?? i seem to attract 60's basket cases!

jp

Here’s my Airstream story.

I’ll make this short as to not bore ya’ll. About 3 years ago we moved to a new neighborhood to get on the water and get away from the urban sprawl. Everyone on our street owns a travel trailer of some sort.
I have been in the aviation industry for over 20 years (still am) and the quality inspector instinct comes out in everything I look at. So needless to say, when I was able to check out an Airstream, they are in a league of their own.
While at my Dr.’s office several months ago, I picked up a TT magazine and it had an article on Airstreams with a picture of a Wee Wind and something about how rare it is to find one. Fast forward to this past Monday. I’m on my way to the dump with a bunch of old boat parts to dispose of, and I pass this house with a Airstream sitting in the yard along with a myriad of other junk you typically see in rural areas (yes I’m guilty too, that’s why I don’t live in a deed restricted community) . I’m saying to myself “that’s the same one I saw in that magazine”. So I stop and ask the guy about it and sure enough it’s a 1948 Wee Wind. I say “Do you want to sell it?” He say's “I recon.”
So a deal was made and I aired up the tires and gingerly towed it home (about 2 miles).
So now the restoration begins……….:bb:

CaptainJones 11-16-2006 04:08 PM

So ultra cool. No telling how long it has been sitting waiting for someone to bring it back to life so to speak. I am crazy about the really old trailers. You are in for a job, but when finished what a special unit you will have. One of a very few.
Good luck.

Foiled Again 11-16-2006 04:24 PM

Dare we ask?

How much you paid? Just nosey. Hope you got the deal of the century... :lol: you're gonna need it to do the restore. :lol: Sounds like the seller got rid of junk and you acquired a treasure. Inquiring minds want to know.....

Thanks, Paula

Sugarfoot 11-16-2006 05:01 PM

Baron, that is great. It was meant to be, that Wee Wind knew you would be coming along. When everything was right in the cosmos, you spotted it and saved its little life. Cool. :cool:

enduroryda 11-16-2006 05:40 PM

That is sooo cool. I love taking my bike out on the back roads and tooling around looking to see what's buried in peoples back yards....ya never know what's around the next corner and you just proved it...you've found a real treasure! Make sure to update us on resto progress.

denellen 11-16-2006 06:27 PM

Wee Wind

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonkamp

What do you think?

Cheers,
Baron

COOL, SO COOL!:cool: :cool: :cool:

85MH325 11-16-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck
very cool! interesting, there are no tail lights...and no marker lights anywhere. they must have originally had at least a couple of tail lights?

looks like you got a couple of 1970's airstream cabinets to go with it. :lol:

That trailer would have originally had a single taillight in the center along with a license plate mount. It also would have had an original equipment set of multi-colored melmac dishes with the trailer that fit into a rack above the aluminum counter.

Roger

rebel beck 11-16-2006 08:20 PM

I hope you can get it restored, Please don't give up. I see so many that come on here and later (give up) Take your time and don't get discouraged.
I love the wee-winds and I hope some day I run up on one like you did.
Keep posting pictures we luv em and always ask questions. And if you do get discouraged just come on the forums and it will all go away.

CaddyGrn 11-16-2006 10:54 PM

Way cool! Very nice! Excellent buy at any price! :) Thanks for posting the pictures!

It would go perfectly with my 48 Cadillac that is waiting for completion! :)

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)