Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (
-   Fresh Water Systems (
-   -   Where oh where is the water inlet????? (

Hamb7 09-09-2006 07:28 AM

Where oh where is the water inlet?????
Ok....I am clueless. Where does the water go into our camper??? We have a 1962 ambassador. We have a little door on the side of the camper but it seems that it is for water out. There is no connector on the bumper......please help us find our missing inlet!
Heather :blink:

sequoiacoast 09-09-2006 10:09 AM

On my 68', the city water inlet is located on the main frame just under the banana wrap on the street side. The pipe goes through the wrap, up through the floor... etc. Maybe yours is the same?

CaddyGrn 09-10-2006 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello there!

I do not know about an ambassador... but our 1963 Bambi and our 1955 Flying Cloud have the water inlet in the same place... in the front of the trailer just to the street side a little more than half way from the bottom of the window to the banana wrap. If you look in the photo below (our before pic...) you can see a knob kind of thing sticking out near the propane tanks, but on the Bambi itself. That is the inlet on ours. Both of ours look like gas tank inlets.... :p My guess is whereever your fresh water holding tank is.... your inlet is sure to be close by. Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

dwightdi 09-10-2006 04:37 AM

My 63 has a very small hose female vertically coming down out of the floor behind the banana wrap door that gives you access to the coiled up electrical cord on the rear street side.

Sugarfoot 09-10-2006 08:59 AM

I have a '60 TW, and found out the hard way that the city water inlet actually IS the fill inlet for the freshwater tank located trailer front under window to the left. Not sure if that would be the case 2 years later. Do you have a rear service compartment under the bath window? I think I read somewhere that AS a "one stop service door" around that time for hookups located at the rear of the trailer.

scottanlily 09-10-2006 01:19 PM

the early trailers with the water fill on the front was designed that way for
boondocking or caravanning aka walley byam traveling airstream caravanns.
this way you unscrewed the front cap ,my 60 has a faucet inlet also as part of the cap for filling with a water hose.,then you could use a bucket to pour
water in to fill the fresh water tank ,from a stream or Well ,whatever you could get water from .I hook up the campground or house hose to the faucet
on the cap ,turn the faucet on then fill or leave in place .It is possible that the ambassador might fill at the faucet ,some photos on the archives don't show a front fill on the 62 trailers ,cannot say thats the rule though.Some trailers have a faucet ,I think sugarfoots does ,most 60 trailers seem to have the faucet ,some only have the cap ,no faucet ,but still can fill it .on those
years the hose must attach elsewhere .again im not 100% certain of all
types of water fill locations or types ,just a few .


Hamb7 09-10-2006 07:46 PM

Ok....What is banana wrap......LOL

We have two areas we are investigating.....Under the kitchen sink window is a little door. Inside the door is a spigot.....but it has the wrong end on it for filling it there.....I am not sure female or male end.....duh (need to learn my plumbing lingo).

The second place we are investigating is by rear bumper (if you are facing the rear of camper) on the left. There seems to be some things capped off there.

It seems that the water holding tank is under kitchen sink. Thanks. I will check out the previous suggestions and report back. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Sugarfoot 09-10-2006 10:00 PM

Heather, if the door under your sink is your inlet, you may well need a short piece of hose that has a female connector on each end. Thats a hose connector that is more wide in diameter and has the threads on the inside. My PO gave me one when he sold me the TW and have to use that piece between the water inlet and the hose to the city water. You may already know this, but don't forget a pressure regulator placed between the city water hookup and your hose. These old trailers don't like anything over 60 PSI, better to keep around 45 PSI or you may find leaks. If those things capped off at the rear bumper are coming from the belly pan, they might be drains for the water supply lines. If so, hooking up there doesn't work well, but there are those of us that, well, uh . . . have tried, uh, maybe you can avoid my mistake! :lol:

scottanlily 09-10-2006 11:10 PM

Hambi7 they do make a double female hose connector available at most
home and hardware stores in the garden supply department (hose and faucets) ours on the 60 is a male faucet ,we use the adapter and the regulator as Sugarfoot has said to use .The adapter is brass and is about
2" long or less ,I strongly recommend a water filter also, inline with the water hose going to your spigot. They have many types available that just install
easily.I bought a cx-90 ceramic filter ,had the culligan brand ,thought id go
more efficient on the filter.It is a blue housing see thru design so you can see
the crud being filtered out .it has the charqoal inside the ceramic element.
the original Ogden water purifier on the sink counter is without a filter cartridge.anyone have any ideas? Still will use the new filter no matter what.

Scott of scottanlily

Sugarfoot 09-10-2006 11:37 PM

Scott's right, I forgot about the inline water filter. I also use one that attaches between the faucet and the water hose. BTW Scott, I believe you can still get filters for the Ogden. The VAC site says it takes an Everpure 150-RV cartridge. I ran a check and you can get them at Amazon, but I'm sure there are other sources.

scottanlily 09-10-2006 11:56 PM

Thanks sugarfoot ,

I did check that everpur filter 150 .does not look like it would be close at all.
the one mine uses has a hole in the center and the cartrige element is not
enclosed in a container such as that one is.mine must push down into the metal pot ,a large seal on top and the bottom of cartridge ,then the lid.
Its a model A .Inland Andy says those filters went away years ago.the last
parts kit the PO bought was in 77 from a place in Los Angelese CA ,south of
SB .I doubt they are still around .well see ,the newer type i have will certainly be better ,but you know i like the vintage stuff.


Hamb7 09-11-2006 07:17 AM

Will Investigate.....
So was it common to have an inlet with a female connector?
What are the chances that this spigot is where we fill?

The area must have been important because there is a hole through the aluminum door for the hose to rest easier through the door. Any one else have this on their camper?

I will try to get some pictures.

scottanlily 09-11-2006 10:28 PM

Heather ,if your fresh water tank is under the sink below the spigot ,thats the fill .very common to have the hose hook up to that faucet ,simple with the adapter .That way when your done filling ,you can turn off the faucet at the trailer.if you have the city or campground water hooked up to your trailer
and you decide to shut off the water to the trailer for whatever reason ,
i like to shut off the outside pressure at night at bedtime just in case of a
leak ,no water will be flowing in,I turn off the trailer faucet leaving the camground hose pressured up .or any other reason i may need to shut off the flow at the trailer ,I also can pressurize my system and need to have the faucet shut off to do that as you have a small red air pump under the
counter by the water tank with some wires 2 going to it? If you do that would be the pressure pump ,if you have that system .Yes ,get some photos
up so we can see them and the rest of your trailer!

Scott of scottanlily

beano 01-10-2011 07:15 PM

me too
I have a 1977 29 ft ambassador. It currently has a screened in porch built on to it. Any idea where the fresh water fill is located? exact measurements would be grat if i have to cut holes in my porch.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.