Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Camping or Luxury Camping? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/camping-or-luxury-camping-25558.html)

audiobox 08-25-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillTex
Same here! And it is always great to get back to a good nights sleep at "basecamp"!

Yes! My wife and I were back packers for years and just started "streamin" this summer. We plan on using "Blimpy" as a base camp for more backpacking in the future, but right now, we're luxuriating in the wonders of our "shiny tent."

Danetree 08-25-2006 12:01 PM

I have to correct my wife every time she refers to the A/S as a camper I remind her that it's a travel trailer. I travel I don't camp !

Minnie's Mate 08-25-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Devo---I think we've all heard these things over the years. There seems to be a tendency to criticize those who have different taste than we do. At the same time there is the tendency to be offended when this ocures.
Personally I do not defend or make excuses for what I have or the way in which I use it. My wife and I worked hard for what we have and don't owe an explaination. Have found my best responce seems to be just a smile.
pieman

These are probably the same people that don't understand SUV's either!

Mel 08-25-2006 12:27 PM

Last year, we were "camping" at a state park on the Oregon coast. A guy walked up as I was sitting outside my Safari, and said, "You know, I feel really bad for you. You don't know the joys of true camping." I kinda smiled and wondered what he was up to, and then he followed that statement with, "I'm here to offer to help. We will be glad to trade you our tent, and we'll sleep in your Airstream - just for a couple of nights - so you can get the experience." I told him that several years of tent camping was the reason for the Airstream in front of him, and I would have to reluctantly decline his very kind offer. He laughed and wished me a good day.

I agree with Mike Lewis - the best response is a smile.:D

wheel interested 08-25-2006 12:34 PM

We have come up through the rungs from inexpensive pup tents and a dome tent with a cooler, sterno and a mess kit and flashlights as an economical way to vacation with 2 children and do the activities we enjoy which is getting out in natural surroundings. We only packed from the car to site at most, but perhaps someday we may take a proper backpacking trip. Or not. :D While I may do a trip that is professionally led and outfitted it would not be something I anticipate gravitating to for the majority of my free time. Yet the places you could get to and the experiences to be had would be like none other and I would love to be in that solitary place and be self propelled and taste the hardships and thrills of survival (once?)

We have watched people drive up with a truck full of gear, laboriously unload and set-up camp and then watch them in the morning strike camp. I like that we don't need to do those steps, just shut the door and start a day trip, hike or bicycle ride. If we travel far we have shelter along the way. That is why I love our Airstream. Use it as home base, travel cities and stop at the luxury rv parks and get out of the crowded rows and partake of the park's amenities or sight see, or park in the woods like Azflycaster's first picture (which would be our preference too.) I like having the private suite and extra space for family visits also or a place to just sit and get away at home or pull the awning and have our own on site cabana.

I don't know what you call it, camping, traveling, rving, but whatever it is I love it and you are free to spend your time as deliberately as you care to or free from chores entirely or elaborately festoon your site. It's all fun to me. And I love the diversity of the people we find around us. :)

Stream 1529 08-25-2006 12:53 PM

For me it's camping

We've done the tent thing. Tried to sleep with crawling/flying pests, heat, humidity, sand/grit in everything. It was an adventure when I was younger. Now, I wouldn't think of it.

Hotels, why bother. Last sumer we were out for six weeks. We drove over 5,000 miles and saw some beautiful sights. The whole trip averaged just under $150 a day. We did everything we wanted to. Just a decent hotel would have run us a good $100+ per night. Then they probably would have refused us because of pet restrictions.

Give me my Airstream, and I can go just about where ever I want to. Plus I can sleep in my own bed. If I wan to rough it, I'll disconnect the satellite - until my precious encourages me to turn it back on.:blush:

________Tom

LuminumTraila 08-25-2006 01:56 PM

Hike Your Own Hike

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite posts on the forums so I'm going to link it here: https://www.airforums.com/forum...36-post24.html

Gadgetat says it all. Camping, the outdoor experience, travel and seeing different parts of the continent, all the things we're looking for can all be found by different people in different ways. Doesn't matter what it's called or whether you're using a puptent or a 34 foot Airstream. "Hike your own hike"

Thanks again for your story, gadgetat.

-J :flowers:

Blu_Hwy_Lady 08-25-2006 02:15 PM

The Night o' Elvis that did it for me

Once upon a time I did some pretty serious backpacking in the Gila and Pecos Wilderness areas here in New Mexico. Forty pound pack, 10 days 60 t0 80 miles, freeze-dried slop, sleeping on the ground. Yeah, I saw some gorgeous remote country. We even took my 8 and 10 year old on one particularly memorable trip that they both agree defined their character forever in terms of being able to do anything.

Then, an unexpected third child and the switch was to car camping with the back packing tent when the older kids were teenagers. On one trip to Colorado we found a great remote campground with only one other car. We camped in the opposite end of the campground. There was the whole hassle of breaking out the Coleman stove setting up the tent etc. Then it started to dump buckets and we were forced into the tiny Northface Dragonfly backpacking tent with a whiny three year-old. The other campers obviously felt we needed some entertainment and cranked up their car stereo blasting, literally EVERYTHING Elvis ever did. We went through the do-wop, the country, the gospel, the Hawaiian...EVERYTHING for hours on end. That's it, I decided: 'it's trailer time.' I fell in love with an Airstream around the corner from my parents' house, but the price of all the used Airstreams I found was out of the question so it was a 1976 Layton. Great times in old "Lizzie". And now quess what? The Airstream I'd lusted for 17 years--it's mine.

Goin camping 08-25-2006 03:02 PM

I not only camp in my A/S but we ROUGH IT!! No microwave, Satelite or Television. Look, I like most of you started with a tent and progressed up to an A/S. Now we can stop enroute and sleep and in the morning after coffee and a shower just lock the door and continue on. I prefer to travel as opposed to camp and as such what better way to go? When I get those comments I just smile and say. "Comfort is the key to happiness. I'm happy and I'm glad you are too."

The thing that makes me laugh out loud is the "You must be a millionaire." I guess thats true cause my real name is Goincampin Rockefeller. Like most folks the Mrs. and I work full time and made a decision on what we wanted to do for fun and campin is it. So you plan your budget to be able to camp as best you can. So fellow non camping millionaires lets continue to enjoy.

Devoman 08-25-2006 04:15 PM

Wow

I guess everyone gets this saying.I am glad I Have an Airstream and I am lucky that hard work finally paid off for me to get one.I love this thing and it does not matter what other people think.All I know is I can go many more times over to places out of town to go visit someplace and they can spend a whole lot more in one week than I would in the four months that we travel in the winter.I dont tell them that of course.I just shrug it off and tend to my own.
Now I do have to say though...I do get alot more positive feedback from people way more than I get negative ones.It is a great feeling owning one these things.

RangerJay 08-25-2006 04:19 PM

It's really kinda self-evident.

There are degrees of "camping".

Obviously ....

... camping with an Airstream can only be described as "professional" camping (who could disagree??)

... those without an Airstream are those who aspire to be "professionals" - but - unfortunately - as amateurs - they can only lash out at what they haven't yet achieved.

The day they acquire their own Airstream they will realize that they are finally able to understand the true meaning of camping "nirvana".

What else is there to say????

Jay

AZstreamin 08-25-2006 04:55 PM

Take a moment...................
Clear your mind.........................................
and....
Think back to your tent camping days.......... ah that was fun.....wasn't it?
It gets you out there in nature with Gods Creations......
Now ask yourself a question...........
When was the last time you tent camped and some perfect stranger came up to you with a S:DT eatin' grin and said.. OH MY GOD that is really cool tent I just love your tent?
My 9x9 Coleman sure never got that reaction..
But I didn't buy an Airstream because it's an American Icon that's just a perk.....
Camping in an Airstream is a road trip with my second home... It's my TIN CABIN just like my license plate says.
I bought a new home.
For some it's their primary residences others it's their second or third residences. Find another trailer that you can call home in 30 years how about 50? Sounds like a home to me..... Whatever it may be for you, is up to you, but all I know is it's Friday and I love my Airstream as much as I did on Thursday. :D
Stream On..............

Pick 08-25-2006 06:18 PM

We have only been "camping" in 3 places where there are motels and hotels.
1. Ohio State Fairgrounds, Columbus
2. Florida State Fairgrounds, Tampa
3. Disney, Orlando

Nice thing about the fairgrounds, was we were "right there", walking distance to the events (horse shows). Didn't have to buy expensive, crappy "fair food".
There were many nice things about Fort Wilderness, like the bus picking you up almost right in front of the campsite. The best part was an almost empty campground in late September!

JStanley 08-25-2006 06:25 PM

I may call it ‘camping’ when I’m with Airstreamers. But don’t initiate talk about my Airstream adventures in conversations with others. If I do mention it, I use other terms to describe what we do. Such as visiting National & State parks, RV Campgrounds and touring the country.

I’ve done enough backpacking, tent camping, canoe & kayak trips so I don’t have to justify my current traveling style. After so many years, I don’t feel any guilt about how I spend my money, my time and my latest mode of self-indulgence. Who knows how much healthy time we have left? Why a need to compare and compete? Saying like: “Boys and their toys” and “He who dies with the most toys wins” are silly unless someone really needs to fill those voids.

Besides, my wife wouldn’t “camp” with me any more if we still used our tents. And we need each other, we have developed a new ‘division of labor’ that enables us to travel in harmony and enjoy this new Chapter in Life: The Airstream Experiences.

Becky B. 08-25-2006 08:15 PM

We just came back from a quick jaunt to the Indiana Dunes State Park for a night of camping. I've heard ridicule about what I call camping ever since I bought our first pop-up. I feel great satisfaction that I don't have to sleep on the ground anymore & just say that I like pulling my cottage behind me! Anyhow, I'm sure the guy who ditched his tent next to us after a torrential storm wished he did my kind of camping! And, what else would people call an adventure where you beat off racoons around the campfire (really, we did!). I don't really care what anybody else thinks about my kind of fun!

maxandgeorgia 08-25-2006 08:34 PM

"...When was the last time you tent camped and some perfect stranger came up to you with a S:DT eatin' grin and said.. OH MY GOD that is really cool tent I just love your tent?..."
AZstreaming, we began our camping years ago with an OLD HEAVY canvas Sears tent bought from a want ad: sun-faded turquoise blue, huge 12X12 tall interior, with the most marvelous canopy edged with scallops. When set up, and it took a while for set up, Old Blue looked for all the world like a troubador's tent from the days of the Knights of Old! We were always amazed at the people who passed by in camp and stopped to rave and compliment our old cast off! Really, much like people do today with our Airstream. Old Blue was out of date but he had a flair and style that none of the more contemporary highly-regarded lightweight tents had-- just as Gypsy carries an attitude and charisma that few of the SOB's seem to have. When Old Blue had finally been patched and sewn up by heavy-duty sewers and ducttaped one time too many, we wrapped him up with all his poles and stakes, and set him out on the sidewalk with a note during our city's spring clean up sidewalk pickup days. To our delight, we saw a pickup full of kids and parents stop by, read the note, gather up all Old Blue's parts and carry him off, I'll always believe to another round of family "camping." It's been awhile, but time was, yes, we had people stopping by to compliment our tent! ~G Thanks for reawakening these fun old memories:)

eikel1we 08-25-2006 10:01 PM

Isn't it great to have so many "camping" choices and better yet, not having to justify to anyone why you've made it? :glare: I love this country!!

Happy Camping,
(no matter if you're sleeping under the stars among pines or your bed is in an air conditioned foil tube .......... complete w/a toilet) :D

suz

overlander63 08-25-2006 10:09 PM

All that "not really camping" crap ceased fast when a severe thunderstorm sprang up, and there were 20 people in our trailer, watching their tents blow away. Suddenly it seemed pretty cool to have something between you and the elements!:cool:

streamer23 08-25-2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63
All that "not really camping" crap ceased fast when a severe thunderstorm sprang up, and there were 20 people in our trailer, watching their tents blow away. Suddenly it seemed pretty cool to have somthing between you and the elements!:cool:

Good point Terry.I laughed out loud when I read your response:lol: :lol: .

Soooo true.

herrgirdner 08-25-2006 10:39 PM

Yep, I can smile and remember when wife, two daughters, the Dog and I were camping in our borrowed tent in the Mosel valley and lying in that tent watching the lightning flash and listening to the water trickle through....

Wouldn't trade those memories for anything.
Fast forward 36 years ... Now it's good to listen to the thunder roll and the drops on the metal roof.
It's all camping.
regards