Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Camping or Luxury Camping? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/camping-or-luxury-camping-25558.html)

Devoman 08-25-2006 06:31 AM

Camping or Luxury Camping?

I am curious.I know a few people that give me a hard time about real camping and they say what I do is just living in the comforts of a home.I told them that this is just another way of taking it to the next level but they still insist that I am not camping.They even say why do this if you can go on vacation and stay at a hotel.I told them that in the long run I will be saving more money and I would be able to go on many more trips than they would.They still say what I do is not camping.Personally I think this is the most awsome way to go when traveling because I told them how I dont have to sleep in a bed that someone else slep in.I dont have to worry about not getting a room if something were to happen.Plus rooms have gone up quite a bit from what I have been seeing in the last few years.This is the best investment a person or family can make.The thing that gets me though is when I tell them they should get an Airstream there reaction is either I can not afford one of those or that is not camping.Have any of you ever get negative stuff like this from people?It just seems to me that they just dont like the fact that we do something fun and they just want to bring me to there level.:sad:

streamer23 08-25-2006 06:43 AM

I've heard that sooooooo many times.They say 'well how can you call that camping?You have your TV,stove,fridge,stereo,computer,a/c,and a furnace when its cold.You have to sleep in a tent to call it camping'
I've slept in a tent so I think I know where they're coming from.I'll take the Airstream any day and they can call it what they want.;) ;)

till 08-25-2006 07:28 AM

I get the same thing too. Though I tell them that I am "roughing" it because I do not have a microwave or a dish with me. :) It is all perspective. Camping is not staying in a hotel/motel room.
You may want to use the argument that you have a mobile cabin!!

Mackhopp 08-25-2006 07:45 AM

Even though I've only owned my Airstream for a short period of time, I'm astounded by the amount of condescending (sometimes masked with humour) comments concerning the camping aspect. How it's definitely "not camping" due to the comforts I have at my disposal.

I respond that it's still camping, but just up a notch. Just like the dude who's camping in the most technologically advanced tent out there, it's taking it up a notch. The dude with the tent most likely has a super duper propane stove, catalytic heater, dining shelter, and the list goes on and on. What really defines camping?

If what we do with our Airstreams isn't considered camping due to all the luxuries we have at our disposal, then couldn't someone who's trekking into the bush and making his own shelter, hunting and gathering all his food, with no access to any luxury items whatsoever be able to sneer at the dude with the fancy tent and fancy items from Camping World?

It's all a matter of levels.

I choose to live in comfort no matter where I go.

And if that means that I can take my kids to a campground where they can enjoy the hikes, the beach, the campfires etc... but yet stay dry and warm, have a shower in my own bathroom, sleep in my own bed, then so be it.

Why label something and put it down, when the bottom line is that it's a very positive thing many people do in life - travelling, showing kids other places, quality family time, etc....

They're probably just jealous!!

-Michelle

gowyn 08-25-2006 07:47 AM

Green eyed monster!!

Jealously, plain and simple. Just ask them if they won an Airstream would they give it back and still use their tent? I'd bet most would say no.

Now I'd admit RV'ing is not the same as camping. Extremes.

To me camping is hiking in with what you can carry. RV'ing is what we do.

To each their own.

Minnie's Mate 08-25-2006 08:07 AM

When my son joined Cub Scouts a few years ago, I bought an Eddie Bauer tent, two Eddie Bauer sleeping bags, and one of those inflateable queen-sized air mattresses with collapsable platform bed frames. I get chided about that. Now I have an Airstream. I get chided about that. I just don't get it.:huh:

Princess Diva and I just have high standards, that's all.:innocent:

tin sista 08-25-2006 08:17 AM

Let them tour your trailer, turn them on to the forum

And they'll come over to the Airstream side of camping!!:lol:

'course they could just be giving you the business. :) Give it right back, if you are a single camper say "I'm worth it!" If you have a family, "they are worth it!" If you camp with them and it rains, take em a nice cup of coffee and let them sit under your awning!!:lol:

Boondocker 08-25-2006 08:26 AM

A rose by any othr name

Ehhh who cares what they call it, it is a superb way to enjoy oneself. I guess it is one of those things in life where if you need it explained you are not going to understand.......

William Ales 08-25-2006 08:29 AM

You all missed the key statement made every time to one of those who say it's not camping! And you get the big nod of approval from the misses!!!!!

"My wife has her own bathroom"!

Melody Ranch 08-25-2006 08:31 AM

Still wondering

Just wondering
Is there ANYONE out there that uses the Airstream as that special place just to get away from it all?

Now I do appreciate all the neat stuff out there....but what are you REALLY doing out there "boondocking" or "on the road" with computers. cell phones, WIFI equiped, Satellite capable, HD LCD, infared, Generator back up'ed, microwaved, IPOD Ituned, downloaded, GPS located and directed, etc., etc.
Don't jump on me! I am curious about it. I remember those days of no AC, campfires (actually cooked on them), sleeping bags and peeing behind the trees. Great time....Try it just for the heck of it.

Heading out this weekend....Airstream, a folding chair, cooler and a guitar.:cool:

swebster 08-25-2006 08:38 AM

Camping: Camping is an outdoor recreational activity involving the spending of one or more nights in a tent, primitive structure, a travel trailer or recreational vehicle at a campsite with the purpose of getting away from civilization and enjoying nature. Camping describes a whole range of activities, from survivalist campers who set off with little more than their boots to those who arrive in large recreational vehicles equipped with their own electricity, heat, and patio furniture.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping

azflycaster 08-25-2006 09:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swebster
Camping: Camping is an outdoor recreational activity involving the spending of one or more nights in a tent, primitive structure, a travel trailer or recreational vehicle at a campsite with the purpose of getting away from civilization and enjoying nature. Camping describes a whole range of activities, from survivalist campers who set off with little more than their boots to those who arrive in large recreational vehicles equipped with their own electricity, heat, and patio furniture.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping

I agree. Getting away from civilization and enjoying nature is what it is all about for us. There is a big difference between camping and going to a RV Park. When you are parked on a huge blacktop slab and your awning is touching the RV next door, you are not camping. That's just my opinion...

Camping / RV Park

BillTex 08-25-2006 09:26 AM

I started camping and backpacking many years ago w/Boy Scouts. They taught me to love and appreciate the outdoors. We always camped in tents or under tarps, never even used cabins. I still backpack now, and carry my home on my back. Truth is, we don't spend any more time inside whether we are in the AirStream or in a tent. We cook outside, sit outside, etc. Even in the rain.For us there is not much difference, it is all camping. We don't bring a TV or computer, etc. Cell phones rarely work where we camp. It sure is nice to have a bed at night, versus sleeping on the ground while backpacking, and a bathroom, and ready hot water.
I recently witnessed 2 kids sitting around a lap-top watching a video, while Dad set up their tent.
So who is really camping?

We camp with other families occasionaly. Some of them have 5th wheels with 3 TV's. Their kids spend more time inside than out. We don't allow this for our family.
My Son is better amused (and better behaved) chasing frogs, snakes, splashing in the pond, etc.

For us, camping, and the AirStream, is one of the best ways to have quality family time.
It really is a matter of perspective, and attitude. When we "camp" we minimize the "clutter" and spend time together.

Janet H 08-25-2006 09:26 AM

We went camping last year with some friends who are "traditionalists". @ adults and 2 kids in one backpacking sized tent. All OK.... until the weather turned foul. Turns out you CAN fit 6 people in a minuet!

It's all a matter of perspective. I've had tent campers wonder about why we need all that space and I've had folks with 34 footers ask me how I can "survive" with so little space.

ColdEspresso 08-25-2006 10:07 AM

Spending the night at a campsite is camping. Boondocking with an RV is still camping. I think that some of the purists confuse backpacking with camping. Before I had an AS I used to tent camp and the purests used to argue about who had the lighter gear. When I backpack, I carry my house, cooking supplies, provisions, & bed with me. Most of the time I travel in the AS and backpack into the wilderness to places that an RV cannot get to. So, I can really cover more ground and stretch the time I spend in nature by using the AS as a hub and packing into the woods for a day or so. Fact is ...camping is camping...

Mike Lewis 08-25-2006 10:09 AM

Devo---I think we've all heard these things over the years. There seems to be a tendency to criticize those who have different taste than we do. At the same time there is the tendency to be offended when this ocures.
Personally I do not defend or make excuses for what I have or the way in which I use it. My wife and I worked hard for what we have and don't owe an explaination. Have found my best responce seems to be just a smile.
pieman

moosetags 08-25-2006 10:09 AM

We hear the same thing, "that ain't campin". In the past, I have done a lot of tent camping. It afforded me the opportunity to become close to our four sons. As grown men, they still talk of those camping trips. The boys and I would pile into Elsie, our '81 Toyoto Land Cruiser FJ-40 (new at the time), load her up with camping gear and head out cross country. We had to use a roof basket and a Tuck folding utility trailer to carry all of our gear. Those were great times, and I remember them fondly. There were many pop-ups and travel trailers then. I remember thinking that they were pretty neat, but I didn't want one because you couldn't take one to the remote mountain campsites.

Jump ahead twenty-five years. I still enjoy the camping experience. I also enjoy a real queen size bed and Wifi Internet. What more can you ask for, all the comforts of home in the middle of the great outdoors. Yes, I do call it camping despite what others may think or say. They can have their opinion and I can have mine.

BillTex 08-25-2006 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdEspresso
Spending the night at a campsite is camping. Boondocking with an RV is still camping. I think that some of the purists confuse backpacking with camping. Before I had an AS I used to tent camp and the purests used to argue about who had the lighter gear. When I backpack, I carry my house, cooking supplies, provisions, & bed with me. Most of the time I travel in the AS and backpack into the wilderness to places that an RV cannot get to. So, I can really cover more ground and stretch the time I spend in nature by using the AS as a hub and packing into the woods for a day or so. Fact is ...camping is camping...

Same here! And it is always great to get back to a good nights sleep at "basecamp"!

crazylev 08-25-2006 10:52 AM

Devoman.

The whole reason to do what you are doing is to get away from the people that you just described.

You could swing it the other way around saying that if you stay in a hotel/motel, you miss opportunities to bond with friends and family; watching a sunset, and so on.

Actually, don't bother explaining anything. They won't understand no matter what.

Just enjoy yourself. Enjoy life. Be happy. Screw everyone else....

Best wishes.

Jonathan

PS- Still have not bought a new tow V due to no money. Still wishing though...

swebster 08-25-2006 10:56 AM

Some of our best friends gave us some ribbing about "camping" in our Airstream. Last summer we all went to Lincoln Lake together, they brought their tent and setup in our RV spot.

By breakfast they were saying things like "maybe we could get one"...and..."how much are they?"

audiobox 08-25-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillTex
Same here! And it is always great to get back to a good nights sleep at "basecamp"!

Yes! My wife and I were back packers for years and just started "streamin" this summer. We plan on using "Blimpy" as a base camp for more backpacking in the future, but right now, we're luxuriating in the wonders of our "shiny tent."

Danetree 08-25-2006 12:01 PM

I have to correct my wife every time she refers to the A/S as a camper I remind her that it's a travel trailer. I travel I don't camp !

Minnie's Mate 08-25-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Devo---I think we've all heard these things over the years. There seems to be a tendency to criticize those who have different taste than we do. At the same time there is the tendency to be offended when this ocures.
Personally I do not defend or make excuses for what I have or the way in which I use it. My wife and I worked hard for what we have and don't owe an explaination. Have found my best responce seems to be just a smile.
pieman

These are probably the same people that don't understand SUV's either!

Mel 08-25-2006 12:27 PM

Last year, we were "camping" at a state park on the Oregon coast. A guy walked up as I was sitting outside my Safari, and said, "You know, I feel really bad for you. You don't know the joys of true camping." I kinda smiled and wondered what he was up to, and then he followed that statement with, "I'm here to offer to help. We will be glad to trade you our tent, and we'll sleep in your Airstream - just for a couple of nights - so you can get the experience." I told him that several years of tent camping was the reason for the Airstream in front of him, and I would have to reluctantly decline his very kind offer. He laughed and wished me a good day.

I agree with Mike Lewis - the best response is a smile.:D

wheel interested 08-25-2006 12:34 PM

We have come up through the rungs from inexpensive pup tents and a dome tent with a cooler, sterno and a mess kit and flashlights as an economical way to vacation with 2 children and do the activities we enjoy which is getting out in natural surroundings. We only packed from the car to site at most, but perhaps someday we may take a proper backpacking trip. Or not. :D While I may do a trip that is professionally led and outfitted it would not be something I anticipate gravitating to for the majority of my free time. Yet the places you could get to and the experiences to be had would be like none other and I would love to be in that solitary place and be self propelled and taste the hardships and thrills of survival (once?)

We have watched people drive up with a truck full of gear, laboriously unload and set-up camp and then watch them in the morning strike camp. I like that we don't need to do those steps, just shut the door and start a day trip, hike or bicycle ride. If we travel far we have shelter along the way. That is why I love our Airstream. Use it as home base, travel cities and stop at the luxury rv parks and get out of the crowded rows and partake of the park's amenities or sight see, or park in the woods like Azflycaster's first picture (which would be our preference too.) I like having the private suite and extra space for family visits also or a place to just sit and get away at home or pull the awning and have our own on site cabana.

I don't know what you call it, camping, traveling, rving, but whatever it is I love it and you are free to spend your time as deliberately as you care to or free from chores entirely or elaborately festoon your site. It's all fun to me. And I love the diversity of the people we find around us. :)

Stream 1529 08-25-2006 12:53 PM

For me it's camping

We've done the tent thing. Tried to sleep with crawling/flying pests, heat, humidity, sand/grit in everything. It was an adventure when I was younger. Now, I wouldn't think of it.

Hotels, why bother. Last sumer we were out for six weeks. We drove over 5,000 miles and saw some beautiful sights. The whole trip averaged just under $150 a day. We did everything we wanted to. Just a decent hotel would have run us a good $100+ per night. Then they probably would have refused us because of pet restrictions.

Give me my Airstream, and I can go just about where ever I want to. Plus I can sleep in my own bed. If I wan to rough it, I'll disconnect the satellite - until my precious encourages me to turn it back on.:blush:

________Tom

LuminumTraila 08-25-2006 01:56 PM

Hike Your Own Hike

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite posts on the forums so I'm going to link it here: https://www.airforums.com/forum...36-post24.html

Gadgetat says it all. Camping, the outdoor experience, travel and seeing different parts of the continent, all the things we're looking for can all be found by different people in different ways. Doesn't matter what it's called or whether you're using a puptent or a 34 foot Airstream. "Hike your own hike"

Thanks again for your story, gadgetat.

-J :flowers:

Blu_Hwy_Lady 08-25-2006 02:15 PM

The Night o' Elvis that did it for me

Once upon a time I did some pretty serious backpacking in the Gila and Pecos Wilderness areas here in New Mexico. Forty pound pack, 10 days 60 t0 80 miles, freeze-dried slop, sleeping on the ground. Yeah, I saw some gorgeous remote country. We even took my 8 and 10 year old on one particularly memorable trip that they both agree defined their character forever in terms of being able to do anything.

Then, an unexpected third child and the switch was to car camping with the back packing tent when the older kids were teenagers. On one trip to Colorado we found a great remote campground with only one other car. We camped in the opposite end of the campground. There was the whole hassle of breaking out the Coleman stove setting up the tent etc. Then it started to dump buckets and we were forced into the tiny Northface Dragonfly backpacking tent with a whiny three year-old. The other campers obviously felt we needed some entertainment and cranked up their car stereo blasting, literally EVERYTHING Elvis ever did. We went through the do-wop, the country, the gospel, the Hawaiian...EVERYTHING for hours on end. That's it, I decided: 'it's trailer time.' I fell in love with an Airstream around the corner from my parents' house, but the price of all the used Airstreams I found was out of the question so it was a 1976 Layton. Great times in old "Lizzie". And now quess what? The Airstream I'd lusted for 17 years--it's mine.

Goin camping 08-25-2006 03:02 PM

I not only camp in my A/S but we ROUGH IT!! No microwave, Satelite or Television. Look, I like most of you started with a tent and progressed up to an A/S. Now we can stop enroute and sleep and in the morning after coffee and a shower just lock the door and continue on. I prefer to travel as opposed to camp and as such what better way to go? When I get those comments I just smile and say. "Comfort is the key to happiness. I'm happy and I'm glad you are too."

The thing that makes me laugh out loud is the "You must be a millionaire." I guess thats true cause my real name is Goincampin Rockefeller. Like most folks the Mrs. and I work full time and made a decision on what we wanted to do for fun and campin is it. So you plan your budget to be able to camp as best you can. So fellow non camping millionaires lets continue to enjoy.

Devoman 08-25-2006 04:15 PM

Wow

I guess everyone gets this saying.I am glad I Have an Airstream and I am lucky that hard work finally paid off for me to get one.I love this thing and it does not matter what other people think.All I know is I can go many more times over to places out of town to go visit someplace and they can spend a whole lot more in one week than I would in the four months that we travel in the winter.I dont tell them that of course.I just shrug it off and tend to my own.
Now I do have to say though...I do get alot more positive feedback from people way more than I get negative ones.It is a great feeling owning one these things.

RangerJay 08-25-2006 04:19 PM

It's really kinda self-evident.

There are degrees of "camping".

Obviously ....

... camping with an Airstream can only be described as "professional" camping (who could disagree??)

... those without an Airstream are those who aspire to be "professionals" - but - unfortunately - as amateurs - they can only lash out at what they haven't yet achieved.

The day they acquire their own Airstream they will realize that they are finally able to understand the true meaning of camping "nirvana".

What else is there to say????

Jay

AZstreamin 08-25-2006 04:55 PM

Take a moment...................
Clear your mind.........................................
and....
Think back to your tent camping days.......... ah that was fun.....wasn't it?
It gets you out there in nature with Gods Creations......
Now ask yourself a question...........
When was the last time you tent camped and some perfect stranger came up to you with a S:DT eatin' grin and said.. OH MY GOD that is really cool tent I just love your tent?
My 9x9 Coleman sure never got that reaction..
But I didn't buy an Airstream because it's an American Icon that's just a perk.....
Camping in an Airstream is a road trip with my second home... It's my TIN CABIN just like my license plate says.
I bought a new home.
For some it's their primary residences others it's their second or third residences. Find another trailer that you can call home in 30 years how about 50? Sounds like a home to me..... Whatever it may be for you, is up to you, but all I know is it's Friday and I love my Airstream as much as I did on Thursday. :D
Stream On..............

Pick 08-25-2006 06:18 PM

We have only been "camping" in 3 places where there are motels and hotels.
1. Ohio State Fairgrounds, Columbus
2. Florida State Fairgrounds, Tampa
3. Disney, Orlando

Nice thing about the fairgrounds, was we were "right there", walking distance to the events (horse shows). Didn't have to buy expensive, crappy "fair food".
There were many nice things about Fort Wilderness, like the bus picking you up almost right in front of the campsite. The best part was an almost empty campground in late September!

JStanley 08-25-2006 06:25 PM

I may call it ‘camping’ when I’m with Airstreamers. But don’t initiate talk about my Airstream adventures in conversations with others. If I do mention it, I use other terms to describe what we do. Such as visiting National & State parks, RV Campgrounds and touring the country.

I’ve done enough backpacking, tent camping, canoe & kayak trips so I don’t have to justify my current traveling style. After so many years, I don’t feel any guilt about how I spend my money, my time and my latest mode of self-indulgence. Who knows how much healthy time we have left? Why a need to compare and compete? Saying like: “Boys and their toys” and “He who dies with the most toys wins” are silly unless someone really needs to fill those voids.

Besides, my wife wouldn’t “camp” with me any more if we still used our tents. And we need each other, we have developed a new ‘division of labor’ that enables us to travel in harmony and enjoy this new Chapter in Life: The Airstream Experiences.

Becky B. 08-25-2006 08:15 PM

We just came back from a quick jaunt to the Indiana Dunes State Park for a night of camping. I've heard ridicule about what I call camping ever since I bought our first pop-up. I feel great satisfaction that I don't have to sleep on the ground anymore & just say that I like pulling my cottage behind me! Anyhow, I'm sure the guy who ditched his tent next to us after a torrential storm wished he did my kind of camping! And, what else would people call an adventure where you beat off racoons around the campfire (really, we did!). I don't really care what anybody else thinks about my kind of fun!

maxandgeorgia 08-25-2006 08:34 PM

"...When was the last time you tent camped and some perfect stranger came up to you with a S:DT eatin' grin and said.. OH MY GOD that is really cool tent I just love your tent?..."
AZstreaming, we began our camping years ago with an OLD HEAVY canvas Sears tent bought from a want ad: sun-faded turquoise blue, huge 12X12 tall interior, with the most marvelous canopy edged with scallops. When set up, and it took a while for set up, Old Blue looked for all the world like a troubador's tent from the days of the Knights of Old! We were always amazed at the people who passed by in camp and stopped to rave and compliment our old cast off! Really, much like people do today with our Airstream. Old Blue was out of date but he had a flair and style that none of the more contemporary highly-regarded lightweight tents had-- just as Gypsy carries an attitude and charisma that few of the SOB's seem to have. When Old Blue had finally been patched and sewn up by heavy-duty sewers and ducttaped one time too many, we wrapped him up with all his poles and stakes, and set him out on the sidewalk with a note during our city's spring clean up sidewalk pickup days. To our delight, we saw a pickup full of kids and parents stop by, read the note, gather up all Old Blue's parts and carry him off, I'll always believe to another round of family "camping." It's been awhile, but time was, yes, we had people stopping by to compliment our tent! ~G Thanks for reawakening these fun old memories:)

eikel1we 08-25-2006 10:01 PM

Isn't it great to have so many "camping" choices and better yet, not having to justify to anyone why you've made it? :glare: I love this country!!

Happy Camping,
(no matter if you're sleeping under the stars among pines or your bed is in an air conditioned foil tube .......... complete w/a toilet) :D

suz

overlander63 08-25-2006 10:09 PM

All that "not really camping" crap ceased fast when a severe thunderstorm sprang up, and there were 20 people in our trailer, watching their tents blow away. Suddenly it seemed pretty cool to have something between you and the elements!:cool:

streamer23 08-25-2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63
All that "not really camping" crap ceased fast when a severe thunderstorm sprang up, and there were 20 people in our trailer, watching their tents blow away. Suddenly it seemed pretty cool to have somthing between you and the elements!:cool:

Good point Terry.I laughed out loud when I read your response:lol: :lol: .

Soooo true.

herrgirdner 08-25-2006 10:39 PM

Yep, I can smile and remember when wife, two daughters, the Dog and I were camping in our borrowed tent in the Mosel valley and lying in that tent watching the lightning flash and listening to the water trickle through....

Wouldn't trade those memories for anything.
Fast forward 36 years ... Now it's good to listen to the thunder roll and the drops on the metal roof.
It's all camping.
regards

CaddyGrn 08-25-2006 10:51 PM

The joys of camping...

Well, we have gone through the whole gamit as well... no need repeating any of that. The one camping "experience" I haven't seen is camping from an airplane. We used to have a 4 seater plane. One of my "fondest" :huh: camping memories was the time we flew from central California to Vancouver, British Columbia for the World's Fair in 1986 (I think it was...). Camping from an airplane is often more spartan than backpacking... severe weight limits. Camping at the airports is unique as well. Food preparation is next to nil, it is either granola bars or walk to a restaurant. Anyway, the ground was hard, we all had lack of sleep, and restrooms were often closed at 10:00 p.m. until the next work day. :blush: Oh, I forgot to mention we were traveling with our son, who was almost 5 at the time.... I was the quintessential not so happy camper.

On another note, we have never had anyone tell us we have too many creature comforts. But we probably look like geriatric hippies... so maybe folks are uncomfortable approaching us with that concept...:lol:

I agree wholeheartedly with Azflycaster, camping out in the forest is a HUGE difference from camping at one of those cement RV parks. However, as we age our needs and requirements do change.... :p

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

william Haym 08-25-2006 11:19 PM

Yes I like having my microwave, yes camping ,ha,ha!!!
It doesn't matter what you call what we are doing (camping)!!!
The point is!!!!!! Are we having fun!!!!! That's it.

codybear 08-25-2006 11:42 PM

Ok, I admit I'm totally spoiled now after having had our Safari for 20 years!..I was city raised, I thought 'camping' was everything related to being a Camp Fire Girl in my teen years!..that nice supervised outings w/the leader and 12 other girls, sleeping in our sleeping bags, finding bits of kinkdling to make a campfire so that we could toast hot dogs and make s'mores..that's my recollection of 'camping'..

Fast forward to the 70's when I married and learned what 'camping' was all about w/my husband and later w/the kids..we 'camped' or slept: in the back of our old '74 pick up..then after getting tired of that old song, graduated to a Sears hillary tent built for 6, carrying around my little porta potty I got from Best Products (they're no longer in business), I felt I was rich to own that, instead of having to use those awful out-houses. And when we took our trip all the way north to Washington, Oregon and British Columbia, we put up, took down, put up, took down that tent that got wetter and wetter as the week went by due to all that rain!..then we gave that up and started renting little cabins, cool w/fireplaces, kitchenettes and bathrooms..but not really 'camping'..

Then finally, our luck changed for the better, no make that the best..the in-laws gave us their -64 Safari, (they moved up to a Overlander) and no way now 20 years today would I go back to tent camping and the porta potty!..give me my built in toilet, refrig, shower, stove and oven, microwave, firm mattress, storage space, dinette and all the other comforts of home, now that's my idea of 'camping'.

And the best part of it all, I can honestly say no one yet has ever come up to me and given me any negative comments about our 'camping' in an Airstream trailer..they all instead, want to come inside and see it all for themselves...we've met so many who say they want to get and Airstream too..we get notes left on our doors frequently from people who will leave their name and phone number and say they'd like to buy it from us and ask what the price is!..now I call that a compliment to our way of camping!

john hd 08-26-2006 02:33 AM

i have had a few folks who have commented "this sure isn't camping!" after seeing our trailer.

to them i always say "we do not camp like heathens!" at that point i always show off the doorbell!

john

GlenCoombe 08-26-2006 06:56 AM

Cool thread folks. I've been there, done that, and have the bug bites, sore back, wet tent to prove it.
I use my AS daily and customers often comment about the size of it compared to the Bornefree and Mobile Concepts that my comtemoraries use.
I point out that I rarely need a motel. Keep my overhead low by using the YMCA and Wal-Mart when out on the road.
Then I tell 'em what I paid for it and the 30-40 grand I saved by buying Airstream One.
Oh, we do use it from time to time to camp while out on bicycle rides.
I do still like to use open fire to cook. I only travel with a roll of tin foil, no pot/pans. Of course when push comes to shove I also have the microwave... and my own washroom.:D

rseagle 08-26-2006 06:57 AM

I haven't had too many people ridicule me for having an Airtstream. But I must be a good salesman for the travel/camping trailer lifestyle. I can account for encouraging some of my co-workers in buying their RVs such as an A-liner Pop-Up, Chalet Pop-Up, a used Winnebago motorhome and a Fleetwood Wilderness travel trailer. These folks have families and were looking for the same things my family was: an inexpensive and convienent way to travel and camp in places closer to nature or attactions. For that, I glad my enthusiasm is contageous!

SilverRanger 08-26-2006 07:22 PM

Airstreaming...

... is what I do. Actually, I believe what I do now is closer to traveling, on my own terms. I've done a lot of camping as a Boy Scout. As a hitchhiker in the seventies, I traveled across most of the USA with everything I owned in a backpack, sleeping in the woods, up trees, under a canpoy of mangroves on the beaches in Florida, on the roof of a barn in the Dismal Swamp to escape the mosquitoes, etc. After that, tent camping was a luxury.

Today, I travel with GPS, computer, internet access, cell phone, and satellite TV because I like it, and have no need to "get away from it all". If I there's a sudden urge to commune with nature, I can do that without leaving home. I live in the middle of the woods by a stream on a large tract of land.

SafeHarbor 08-26-2006 10:57 PM

I make my living by having internet access. I've also lived in Airstreams since 1992.

Now life has decided that I'm needed at home, and I have a house, an office that's coming along, and I'll be separating living/work from camping.

Except for some activities with the Civil Air Patrol some years ago, I've never been much of a camper. I used to joke that I yearned for those air-conditioned expanses...

Lately I've adopted the idea that "it's just camping," but that's just for organized events.

And here I am. The house is close, but I'm sitting in the Airstream in the wee hours of a Saturday night.

This is not exactly camping, but it's what I'm used to, and it's still what I prefer. Is it camping? Not by a stretch, but is PRIVATE SPACE that's mine alone, and it's shelter, comfort, quiet, and peace. It's my safe harbor.

If anybody told me that Airstreaming is not "real camping," I'd have to ask them to define their terms, and then I'd probably agree with them.

Lamar