Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   The Rally Zone (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Rally Etiquette (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/rally-etiquette-25048.html)

Action 08-07-2006 02:01 PM

I guess I crashed a WBCCI rally. It was close by, my trailer wasn't moveable at the time, however I knew someone was going to be there that I hadn't seen in some time. It was a Friday after work. So I went. And I brought my family. Of four! (Well one was still on a bottle.) We got invited for a meal and I felt a little guilty for eating in an event that I hadn't paid for or donated food. If asked I would have glady paid a fee. Cause I really wasn't there for the food.

I would think that anyone getting a meal would chip in. And if they were playing for the entire event, why would they pay for the meals? I would be hard pressed not to pay for what I took. It doesn't fit in my values.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

maxandgeorgia 08-07-2006 02:19 PM

Mike, re: post #28. It's pretty simple really, to each of your questions. Just ask, nicely. I believe you would receive an explanation that would make you comfortable with joining, or offering to pay a small amount, or whatever seemed appropriate. The issue here seems to me to concern, not the average interested-in-Airstreams passersby, but some ones who have persisted in taking advantage when the opportunity to plan ahead had been out there for some time. This is quite different from your suggested situations. See? We can tell from past readings of threads and posts that this group is a people-friendly, Airstream-promoting group of friends. I think Sheri is attempting to solve a real situation in a most congenial way and is just seeking some input from her forum pals to take back to the discussion. No exclusivity was meant or intended, at least that I can see from this thread. :) ~G

Airstream25 08-07-2006 03:03 PM

Wrist bands as proof of payment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I think crashing is rude, but is a fact of life.

To take the confrontation out of the expense parts I would go with a wristband. When you register you receive your wristbands, when it is time for food show the band no band no food. Tickets are too easy to lose.

Even in an informal rally setting I would assume that one would pay their way. Informal dose not mean free loading.

Jim

This approach sounds good to me. Anyone know where to get suitable wrist bands that have to be destroyed to be removed?

Tarheel 08-07-2006 03:15 PM

We have had this happen many times. We have never been "crashed" we have invited those that we happen to find at a campground or others that showed an interest in the club. Most of the time they would insist on paying for any extra expenses, such as catered meals, and this was accepted. Happy hours and "chewing the fat" was on the house. We try to treat others the way we would want to be treated in a similar situation.

Foiled Again 08-07-2006 03:52 PM

Short-Arm Syndrome

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT6921
Chop them off at their knees.:angry: :angry:

The wonderful thing about good rally organizers is that they are ORGANIZED. Some people just aren't - or just don't know any better. And then there are the people whose arms shrink up to their pits whenever the check is presented. They go through life with the attitude that "if you really didn't want me here, you'd tell me."

Of course THEY never learned a sense of good manners or shame in their own homes, and take advantage of yours.

Reaction? You'll be burned up about it for weeks before and weeks after if you say nothing. So SAY SOMETHING. Something like, "We would certainly welcome you NEXT TIME IF YOU REGISTER AND PAY IN ADVANCE."

I'm personally a "last minute Louise" type BUT I expect to pay a premium for being a disorganized type. I got my new A/S less than a week before the Cherry Blossom Rally, and because I had no time to cook, I brought a CASE of Champagne.

Participants - welcome them.
Chronic Moochers - Convince them to find a cold welcome ELSEWHERE.

Paula Ford

Action 08-07-2006 04:23 PM

I am going to agree with Paula and repeat myself. Either way would be acceptable. Show up late (or with out RSVPing) and pay the freight. (Or throw your own party/dinner/slide show. Or send in the RSVP and do it straight up.

As Paula points out the sense of good manners or shame would drive me and I know others it has no bearing.

As to the purpose of the thread Shari, since it will be one or two people that end up being the cop or "bad guy" or the bank. May be put it up to the organizing committee. Such that, do you want a cop or do you want to pay? Have that Q answered in consenses by the committe. Some how the 2nd choice of redistributing the wealth is not my gig. The surcharge route would be totally acceptable in my opinion no matter which side of the reservation I choose to be on.

The rest of the association needs to understand that if they aren't bank rolling someone's meals for a week that someone needs to be the bad guy. And no one likes that guy. However the association needs to back up that guy, cause no one wants to do that job.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

05ModPod 08-07-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action
The rest of the association needs to understand that if they aren't bank rolling someone's meals for a week that someone needs to be the bad guy. And no one likes that guy. However the association needs to back up that guy, cause no one wants to do that job.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D I'll do it, I'll do it. Just give me a Wally Bull Horn and Laniard and a mini bike - you can guess the rest. A slight dragging around the camp site might empty the pockets of all their change and they will be begging for forgiveness for being so rude and presumptuos as to "crash" in the sense of the real crashers - or at least I think what Shari is getting at the real problem.

And as for the honest to goodness newbies or happen to be there bies (who are NOT the problem as I understand it - the bull horn is for the use of a big huge welcome. The laniard to pretent to be a member for at least a rally until they get to join. And the Mini bike for the fundraiser to raise the extra funds needed to pay for the tickets they will need for the meals and all the other fun expensive stuff.:brows: :brows: :brows:

Rog0525 08-07-2006 05:20 PM

K.i.s.s.

If serving catered food, serve it only to those who paid for it. Form a separate “beans & franks” line for non-paying visitors.
Nobody goes away hungry…crashers, freeloaders or future rally candidates.
Identify prepaid guests with tickets, wristbands, hats or whatever. Every prepaid guest kicks in a couple extra bucks to accommodate the known small percentage of freeloaders. Everybody goes home happy, with full tummy and hopefully no bias against "Airstream elitiists".

Stefrobrts 08-07-2006 05:29 PM

That seems like a nice even-handed solution, Rog :)

wkerfoot 08-07-2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rog0525
If serving catered food, serve it only to prepaid guests with valid tickets, wristbands or whatever. Form a separate “beans & franks” line for non-paying visitors.
Nobody goes away hungry…crashers, freeloaders or future rally candidates.
Identify prepaid guests with tickets, wristbands, hats or whatever. Every prepaid guest kicks in a couple extra bucks to accommodate the known small percentage of freeloaders. Everybody goes home happy, with full tummy and hopefully no bias against "Airstream elitiists".

Rog,

I have followed this thread with interest, especially the more recent comments. But, why should I, who registered on time and paid my fee, pay for the freeloader? Also, would one Airstream owner call another an Airstream Elitiist? Isn't this a comment which a SOB owner would use toward us?

Bill

sd90mac 08-07-2006 05:45 PM

i can only suggest to order extra food, and if it is a person (or people) who always crash, let them read these posts and learn. No advanced regestration, no meal. Planning is hard enough with out people showing up not counted in the final talley.
We always expect new people who might want to join, and plan for this, but habitual offenders need to learn to use good manners.

Marie:angel:

Rog0525 08-07-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Rog,
why should I, who registered on time and paid my fee, pay for the freeloader? Also, would one Airstream owner call another an Airstream Elitiist? Isn't this a comment which a SOB owner would use toward us?
Bill

You pay for freeloaders everyday if you are an American taxpayer. Why should camping be any different?
One Airstream owner might call another an elitist if that person plans an activity which might exclude the other from joining, even with just cause. I'm simply suggesting a compromise which might be viewed as a generous gesture rather than a preclusion.
Consider that someone wanted to join the rally at the last moment and had a legit reason for not registering early. I'd like to see that person welcomed by fellow Airstreamers even if it understandably means they will eat hot dogs rather than lobster.

Mike Lewis 08-07-2006 06:05 PM

Perhaps the title "Rally Crasher" needs to be defined. I would say this is someone deliberately sets out to attend a function with the intent of getting something free. His our Her intention is to decieve for gain, theirs. These of course need to be delt with. But honestly how often does this really happen? In the course of a years functions how many, especially repeat offenders ,have you seen. Comparing a Rally to a Wedding, preparing wrist bands, issuing tickets, just seems like more rules wraped in paranoia. Why put the the rally organizers through more work. Quit worrying about someone who might eat some of your food. If it's obvious this person or persons are really freeloaders just tell them to hit the road. To spend this much energy and draw this much attention to them will only develope an attitude that when anyone walks into you camp they arouse suspicion. After reading many of these responses I'm not so sure but what this has already happened.
Pieman

maxandgeorgia 08-07-2006 06:40 PM

Shari, hope you have developed ideas enough to take back to your rally committee now:) ~G

Alumaholic 08-07-2006 07:00 PM

Quick Fussing...

We should welcome any Airstreamer with open arms, especially if they aren't members of WBCCI!
Let them know how much they need to add to the kitty, and tell how happy you are to meet them.

63flyingcloud 08-07-2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
To spend this much energy and draw this much attention to them will only develope an attitude that when anyone walks into you camp they arouse suspicion. Pieman

...Or perhaps it will educate the uninitiated about one of the challenges faced by rally organizers, and lead to a solution to the problem...

Kudos for starting this thread, and a hearty thank you to those who choose to shoulder the tremendous burden of organizing rallys for the rest of us (and who regrettably have to deal with the fringe element wackjobs).

2airishuman 08-07-2006 08:35 PM

well this is an interesting thread....

and timely too......

looks like the subject of moooooochers hits close to the bone...

and now, as i'm pointed toward colorado, i wonder...

should i go camping someplace else?

i've never been to a vac rally...
but i did go by the vac happy hour tent in salem...
and i did bring my own beer...and i didn't mooch food..
i did buy a VAC tee shirt...
and would have paid for a hat too...
but they were all 2 small!
the hats, not the people...
i don't even own an old beat up airstream anymore...

i have a newer beat up airstream!

but i really wanted to go to this dcvac event.
initially i was told one must be a member of wbcci AND vac to register or attend.

later i was told one only need be a member of wbcci...
on these very forums...

so i emailed and snail mailed my registration with $$...
website showed slots still open.

toooooooo late 'sorry we are full' i read a few days later...
we will put you on the waiting list...and will hold your check.

"how likely am i to get a spot" i asked...

'can't say' was the reply...nothing more...

perhaps....

'we always have cancellations and you are #3 on the list...so it's a good bet....' or some such thing...

(remember i don't on an old trailer anymore)

(last time i checked, website still declares...'must be a member or wbcci and vac)

so at that moment....just like the folks planning the event

i had to make my plans......
i could not just be on a waiting list...without plans..
otherwise i'd miss making reservations for 100s of other campgrounds...

see,
i wanted to go camping in august,
wanted to go to colorado for mtn biking,
wanted to meet some other airstreamers...as well!

so i called the campground and asked about reservations,
explained i had an airstream but WAS NOT part of the dcvac event.
'don't give me one of their sites i insisted'...
'just anywhere in the park is fine'...
so i made a reservation for several days before AND after the rally...
in other words i'd be in the same park longer than the rally times...

so now i'm going camping in creede!
and there will be airstreams there too!

almost immediately i emailed the dcvac rally folks
to let them know my plans and to take my name off the waiting list...
so someone else, can have my 'can't say' spot....

hey i'm goin' camping now in colorado in august...
and airstreams nearby...
sweet right?

over the next several weeks NO ONE from the dcvac unit contacted me...
to say hi or
hey, now that ya got a camping spot,
would ya like to come to our paid events?
there is food and prizes and party events!
and so on.

till now, till yesterday...
to let me know the meal ticket plan for 'rally-crashers'

i read shari's post here on this topic as sincerely written...

but anyone who has ever camped with or near me knows...
i'm generous with coffee, food, wine, shade, water and conversation...

so IF i don't call tomorrow and CANCEL my reservations...

here is my offer....

all of you dcvac folks, or airstream folks or mtn biking folks...

are welcome....

to eat my food, drink my wine or coffee, share my shade and just visit!

if i still go to crede, come on by, say hi. no name tags allowed!

i'll have more on this subject later...

cheers
2air'

till 08-07-2006 09:05 PM

This almost makes me want to cancel the rally I am "hosting" or "leading" or what every it's called.
Many good points have been brought up and a little salt thrown around too (for some open wonds evidently). I have to go with option f) being hand out a sheet with what the unplanned attendee's can and can not do.

I am sooo happy that I opted for the potluck. :) I love my brats ! :P

Mike Lewis 08-07-2006 09:27 PM

2air--what kind of wine do you serve ??? I hope not the cheap stuff!!
What a great disortation !!!!!!!!----------------pieman

Mike Lewis 08-07-2006 09:30 PM

ted ----i like my brats with little slices made in the sides , keeps them from curling--------------pieman