Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   WBCCI Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f286/)
-   -   Want to Help Charter a New Unit in New Mexico? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f286/want-to-help-charter-a-new-unit-in-new-mexico-24706.html)

Alumaholic 07-25-2006 06:04 PM

Want to Help Charter a New Unit in New Mexico?
 
Two other Airstream Forums members and I are exploring the feasibility of chartering a “new” New Mexico WBCCI Unit to compliment the existing unit and offer expanded opportunities for New Mexico’s Airstreamers. Members of this unit will travel to interesting destinations throughout the Western U.S. and Mexico in pursuit of the following objectives:

· To routinely conduct outings to places of scenic beauty, geological interest, historical significance, and recreation opportunities with a minimum of organization and structure;
· To encourage and assist to fellow Airstream enthusiasts, including those outside the Unit, in the selection, purchase, maintenance, restoration, and renovation of Airstream products of all ages.

We envision a unit friendly to kids, dogs, cats, and Vintage Airstreams with members of all ages who are more inclined to take a hike or go fishing than play cards and who prefer more remote locations of scenic beauty than commercial RV parks. This link sums it up:
https://www.airstreamingnewmexico.info/new_new_mexico_unit_index.htm

Right now we are checking to see if we have sufficient interest to charter such a unit. Please let me know if you would like to be a “Charter Member” and in which office you would like to serve if any. Please offer comments and recommendations as well. You may respond by PM if you prefer. I should also say that this unit will rely heavily on the internet for communications and information sharing. Our modest goal would be for every member to also be a member of Airstream Forums and for every Airstream Forums member in NM to be a member of our unit.

eubank 07-25-2006 06:31 PM

Verrrrrrry interesting!

You know, you might want to consider conducting virtual meetings for any official meetings that become necessary. I instituted this kind of meeting at the university, and it worked pretty well for non-controversial stuff. We instituted the same for the NM Assn of RV Parks some years ago, and we haven't had an official business meeting yet!

:)
Lynn

Alumaholic 07-25-2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eubank
Verrrrrrry interesting!

You know, you might want to consider conducting virtual meetings for any official meetings that become necessary. I instituted this kind of meeting at the university, and it worked pretty well for non-controversial stuff. We instituted the same for the NM Assn of RV Parks some years ago, and we haven't had an official business meeting yet!

:)
Lynn

Thanks, Lynn, that's precisely what we are contemplating. We know we don't intend to conduct meetings while we're camping. It makes no sense to spend the money to buy fuel to tow an Airstream all day to someplace beautiful to have a business meeting, IMHO. Care to help?:D

streamer23 07-25-2006 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65GT
Best wishes on the effort! That's exactly what this club needs. MORE units in MORE places. You'll wind up with multiple units in the area and that can only be good news. MORE events for all WBCCI members to go to regardless of which unit they call home. Way to go Ken! Karma...

__



Ken,

I'll certainly second 65GT's comments.Best of luck.:)



Looks like 65GT has 0% on his warn meter????????mellowing.....I think not.lol:D

Airstream25 07-25-2006 08:19 PM

new New Mexico Unit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by klevan
Right now we are checking to see if we have sufficient interest to charter such a unit. Please let me know if you would like to be a “Charter Member” and in which office you would like to serve if any. Please offer comments and recommendations as well. You may respond by PM if you prefer. I should also say that this unit will rely heavily on the internet for communications and information sharing. Our modest goal would be for every member to also be a member of Airstream Forums and for every Airstream Forums member in NM to be a member of our unit.

Yes, count me in.
(keeping the thread alive)

Mike Lewis 07-25-2006 09:40 PM

Ken ---What you discribe and the objectives you've given is what I thought the WBCCI was about. The unit we joined didn't come close. I had decided not to renew this year but now you have my interest again. ---Pieman

Alumaholic 07-25-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Ken ---What you discribe and the objectives you've given is what I thought the WBCCI was about. The unit we joined didn't come close. I had decided not to renew this year but now you have my interest again. ---Pieman

Splendid, Mike. I knew that I could count on you and Donna. We'll be looking for some ideas based on your recent experiences as camp host in Utah.

Alumaholic 07-26-2006 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airstream25
Yes, count me in.

Thanks Airstream25. Hope your rally in Telluride is memorable. Oh, Happy Birthday!

Alumaholic 07-26-2006 01:13 PM

Colorado and New Mexico?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by klevan
Two other Airstream Forums members and I are exploring the feasibility of chartering a “new” New Mexico WBCCI Unit to compliment the existing unit and offer expanded opportunities for New Mexico’s Airstreamers. Members of this unit will travel to interesting destinations throughout the Western U.S. and Mexico in pursuit of the following objectives:

· To routinely conduct outings to places of scenic beauty, geological interest, historical significance, and recreation opportunities with a minimum of organization and structure;
· To encourage and assist to fellow Airstream enthusiasts, including those outside the Unit, in the selection, purchase, maintenance, restoration, and renovation of Airstream products of all ages.

We envision a unit friendly to kids, dogs, cats, and Vintage Airstreams with members of all ages who are more inclined to take a hike or go fishing than play cards and who prefer more remote locations of scenic beauty than commercial RV parks. This link sums it up:
https://www.airstreamingnewmexico.info/new_new_mexico_unit_index.htm

Right now we are checking to see if we have sufficient interest to charter such a unit. Please let me know if you would like to be a “Charter Member” and in which office you would like to serve if any. Please offer comments and recommendations as well. You may respond by PM if you prefer. I should also say that this unit will rely heavily on the internet for communications and information sharing. Our modest goal would be for every member to also be a member of Airstream Forums and for every Airstream Forums member in NM to be a member of our unit.

I'm getting a significant response from Colorado as well as New Mexico. This is great!

Ken J 07-26-2006 03:40 PM

You can count on me too......

Ken J.

rgesch 07-26-2006 04:16 PM

Best wishes klevan! I think this is EXACTLY what needs to happen! I will be doing the same thing in the Northeast! I would like members in my general area to contact me!
Good Luck and any information I receive I'm happy to share!
Robin

eubank 07-26-2006 06:41 PM

I guess I should be more explicit. Our main membership is with the DenCo unit; we're associate members (or whatever it's called) of the current NM unit. When the new NM unit gets rolling, we'll switch our associate membership from the current NM unit to the new unit.

One question is what to do about the current NM website. But maybe we should talk that over offline.

:)
Lynn

flyfshr 07-26-2006 08:11 PM

How about an interested party in AZ? Does that count too? Sounds like my kinda place especially the fishing.

Brad
FF

dscluchfc 07-26-2006 10:07 PM

Ken-
You know you are going to be President of this in perpetuity, right?

Alumaholic 07-27-2006 09:51 AM

Greater Southwestern CyberUnit?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfshr
How about an interested party in AZ? Does that count too? Sounds like my kinda place especially the fishing.

Brad
FF

Thanks for your interest, Brad.
Since we now have folks in Arizona and Colorado expressing their interest, it would no longer be appropriate to give it a name that constrains it to New Mexico. As a charter member you would help us write the Constitution and Bylaws (CBL) and select the best most descriptive name. Since the Airstream Forums will be our "cyberhome" we can be geographically unconstrained. PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy of the draft CBL I'm working on.

Alumaholic 07-27-2006 12:03 PM

Well Let's See...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Ken-
You know you are going to be President of this in perpetuity, right?

If you offered to be 1st VP, then it could be reduced from perpetuity to one year. Come on, you know you love Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.

Alumaholic 07-27-2006 02:09 PM

Paid Your Dues Yet?...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eubank
I guess I should be more explicit. Our main membership is with the DenCo unit; we're associate members (or whatever it's called) of the current NM unit. When the new NM unit gets rolling, we'll switch our associate membership from the current NM unit to the new unit.

One question is what to do about the current NM website. But maybe we should talk that over offline.

:)
Lynn

Greetings Lynn, Hope all is well in Angel Fire.
I have promised Shari that I will not recruit from DenCo, but you really would be a natural for the "Enchanted Trails Greater Southwestern Cyber Unit." :rolleyes:

AZstreamin 07-27-2006 04:50 PM

Ken,
I really like your idea. After all the primary reason we own an Airstream is for camping and getting away from the grind of business. The boardroom is the last thing on my mind when we hook-up and pull the Tin Cabin down the road. Hiking, Fishing, Good Eating and Good Drinking with friends now that is how we define fun. There are sooo many great destinations between Albuquerque and Phoenix, a Southwest Regional Unit with camping being the primary focus is group we would join. Keep the ideas coming and let me know how I can help
Brent

Alumaholic 07-27-2006 05:17 PM

Well, Since You Asked...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Ken,
I really like your idea. After all the primary reason we own an Airstream is for camping and getting away from the grind of business. The boardroom is the last thing on my mind when we hook-up and pull the Tin Cabin down the road. Hiking, Fishing, Good Eating and Good Drinking with friends now that is how we define fun. There are sooo many great destinations between Albuquerque and Phoenix, a Southwest Regional Unit with camping being the primary focus is group we would join. Keep the ideas coming and let me know how I can help
Brent

Thanks for the kind words, Brent.
All I need is the names of ten Airstream owners who want to charter such a unit and who are willing to pay their $55.00 International Dues through said unit. The way I see it, it can be "win-win"... we stay with WBCCI and we help improve and evolve into a relevant organization for today's Airstreamers. In so doing we will compliment and support the existing, traditional units. PM me with your contact information if you want to help get this concept off the ground.

Matt Worner 07-28-2006 05:54 AM

Love it!
 
I love the idea of a new unit of the less formal nature than some. I have been a member of two units, one more traditional, the other a bit more iconoclastic. I'm in the second (WDCU) style, and although older than most, still young enough to enjoy pot luck suppers and rallies in a farmer's field. This year I hosted CBR along with the property owner's family and had a blast. Plan to have rally space for 15 or so rigs on my own place in Sedan. (Hint, hint and shameless self promotion. ;^)> )

I would be willing to join as a full member, but enjoy the "easterners" too much to ever leave WDCU. If I could join through both units, I would. (Two votes? Two Save Wallys? Why do I think that would go over like flatulence in the choir loft?)

We already have the blue beret, the blue baseball cap and the blue bandana. How about the blue Stetson?

Matt


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.