Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f163/)
-   -   fix those sewer vents! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f163/fix-those-sewer-vents-24437.html)

john hd 07-16-2006 09:54 AM

fix those sewer vents!

hey gang,

here is an easy project that can prevent thousands of dollars of damage to your trailer!

john

john hd 07-16-2006 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
for less than 40 bucks and using a few common tools you can prevent the number one reason airstreams leak!

here is what i found under my sewer caps!

john

john hd 07-16-2006 10:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
after removing the covers and cleaning up the roof of the trailer it is time to install the new gasket and screen!

i like to use a cordless drill with a cupped brush ro remove the old vulkem. a gasket scraper and a knife also helps.

trimming the corners of the screen prevents the screws from catching it and possibly tearing it.

here is a shot of the cleaned up area with the new gasket and the vulkem getting squirted under the screen. this makes the majority of the seal!

john hd 07-16-2006 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
after a liberal amount of vulkem is under the screen and new gasket i flipped it down and made sure it oozed out all the way around to insure a good seal!

after that, just reinstall the cover with stainless screws if your trailer does not already have them as mine did.

to finish a bead of vulkem goes around the edge!

bam, done! less than 15 min each!

john:D

john hd 07-16-2006 10:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
the finished vents, good for another 5 years!

john

lebolewis 07-16-2006 11:14 AM

Ditto

Hey John......great photos. They look just like mine did. I resealed all three of them last week after I found a leak in one of them. Apparently it had been leaking for some time, undetected. I got the gasget material, 6" square rubber pieces, at Lowes in the plumbing dept and made the gasgets. I also found a lot of trash in each vent hood that blocked the drain holes. Soooooo....I used aluminun screen and formed it to seal the vent at rhe top and used a seam of vulkem to hold it up there. Now trash cannot get inside the vent hood!! Works great! Bill

john hd 07-16-2006 11:23 AM

good tip bill, i have seen folks make little aluminum deflectors that clip into the vent to deflect leaves. sorry i don't have a pic of that.

one small note about the drain holes, i have seen a number of 70's vintage trailers that do not have the holes. adding them would just take a couple of seconds with a drill when the cover is off.

btw, the materials for this project came from inland RV.

john

Smokin Camel 07-16-2006 06:02 PM

Thanks for the tip. Now I can add another item. # 137 : Check vents and screens!

Seriously though, thanks, I never thought of that one.

LI Pets 09-20-2006 09:21 PM

Wow that will do it!

I don't even see any screen, the rubber must be shot!

If you saw the damage this caused...........:angry:

I can't post pic's anymore, don't know why?

The PO had this parked 6 years, he just let it rot around the bath down into the black tank compartment.

Should I get the factory gaskets or just get something from NAPA and make my own?

I had to cut a 30" x 48" section from the middle of the floor to repair it all.

Again all wet globbed up pink spongy insulation causing rust, cleaned it all out and will add new foil bubble R-14.

This is another reason to fiberglass these wood floors, if that was done no floor rot no rust no work.

But there was a silver lining to all this. ONe of the waste gates was leaking and I was going to take inspection covers off and try to rebuild the valves from below.

Now that I see it from the top it would not have been possible without a lot of grief.

Can I get rebuilding kits for the #1447 Thetford 3" valves.

If so where? how much$$$

Fyrzowt 09-20-2006 10:03 PM

Mine doesn't have screen either - is this something they did at the factory or something people are doing aftermarket?

john hd 09-20-2006 10:50 PM

my buddy's 74 excella had a couple from the factory without any screens.

john

lebolewis 09-21-2006 07:23 AM

Screens

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hd
my buddy's 74 excella had a couple from the factory without any screens.

john

Hey John,

I've been meaning to bring this up since the last time I looked at your great "vent refurbishing photos". I could be wrong, but I think those fiberglass mesh pieces are supposed to go over the top of the vent pipe, sealing the opening to the aluminum housing, to keep the bugs, trash, etc out of there and to keep those little drain holes in bottom of the housing open. If that's not what they are for, then what useful purpose do they serve? :blush:

That's the way they were when I re-did my vents on my 76 Sovereign and they looked like they could have been the original stuff! I couldnt get the fiberglass stuff, so I used aluminum screen, formed it so it fit up in the top of the aluminum covers and "Vulkemed" it in place from the inside, flush with the top of the vent cover. Bug and trash sealed, but open. Bill

Happycampers 09-21-2006 08:38 AM

Bill.. You are right on this one... fiberglass is supposed to go over the top.. been there and done that.. got instructions from Inland Andy when we ordered ours..

aztlanco 09-21-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lebolewis
Hey John......great photos. They look just like mine did. I resealed all three of them last week after I found a leak in one of them. Apparently it had been leaking for some time, undetected. I got the gasget material, 6" square rubber pieces, at Lowes in the plumbing dept and made the gasgets. I also found a lot of trash in each vent hood that blocked the drain holes. Soooooo....I used aluminun screen and formed it to seal the vent at rhe top and used a seam of vulkem to hold it up there. Now trash cannot get inside the vent hood!! Works great! Bill

I did the same "screen" job on mine years ago when I detected a foul odor inside the trailer and outside. After a nose investigation, I found out it was coming from the vent and guess what???? It was blocked completely near the top of the pipe. I took a coat hanger wire and pulled out a dead bird that was decomposing and had gotten stuck in there (a friend told me they do that in winter to stay warm with their own body heat,, kind of like putting on a jacket). No more problems.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.:) :) :)

john hd 09-24-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think those fiberglass mesh pieces are supposed to go over the top of the vent pipe
yes i thought that too before i removed the vent caps.

mine were from the factory with the screen underneath. i really don't think it matters that much as the big dollop of vulkem is what actually seals the vent.

the real issue is taking a look at them every 5 years or so and replacing the gasket/vulkem combination. if the screen is on top, that works as well!

john

Foiled Again 03-25-2007 02:44 PM

Good Thread

John thanks for the pictures. You ought to send them to Airstream and suggest they use them in their owners manuals.

A friend of mine who has an SOB, but is now getting the hots for an Airstream, did the same repair on his recently, but he also took the handle off of a fine strainer, inverted it and put it over the top of the vent so that there wouldn't be a flat surface for birds, bees, etc. to nest in.

I've wondered if those vents with the integrated fan really work... I think the fan is just wind powered.

Paula Ford

Alumaholic 04-02-2007 02:48 PM

Got Pictures of Drain Holes?

Quote:

I also found a lot of trash in each vent hood that blocked the drain holes...

Quote:

one small note about the drain holes, i have seen a number of 70's vintage trailers that do not have the holes. adding them would just take a couple of seconds with a drill when the cover is off.

The vents on my '76 don't appear to have drain holes. Got pictures?

Thanks for the excellent tutorial!

lebolewis 04-02-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klevan
The vents on my '76 don't appear to have drain holes. Got pictures?

Thanks for the excellent tutorial!

Kelvan,

You can see the drain holes in the left photo of John's #5 post. They are the little dark spots right behind the two screw heads, on the low side, in the base of the Aluminum cover. A 3/16 in drill would make the holes about the right size. Bill

TomW 04-02-2007 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by klevan
The vents on my '76 don't appear to have drain holes. Got pictures? ...

Number 1 son is pointing out one of the two drain holes in this image:

Tom

Alumaholic 04-02-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Kelvan,

You can see the drain holes in the left photo of John's #5 post. They are the little dark spots right behind the two screw heads, on the low side, in the base of the Aluminum cover. A 3/16 in drill would make the holes about the right size. Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomW
Number 1 son is pointing out one of the two drain holes in this image:

Thanks guys. Thanks also for confirming my analysis that there should be drain holes. It was driving me nuts.

Swanny 04-02-2007 09:55 PM

Great thread

Great thread.

Andy with Inland RV has a 'kit' for these. Actually he has a couple,with one having the vent cap (about $40) and the other having just the gasket and wire (precut: $6.50). I went ahead and ordered 2 gasket kits from him.

By the way during my conversation with Inland RV they suggested another type of cement instead of Vulkem. It was very similar to vulkem but had a longer set time. I figure those guys know just as much about AS's as Airstream does;)

Mitch

browniiis88 07-18-2007 02:42 AM

I see i have some inspecting to do tomorrow on my trailer....i have already learned so much and have a notebook taking notes already...I thought i would have to pay someone to do these things but it looks like i can do it myself..if have the tools and all the advice i need here...thank you so very much....

browniiis88 07-18-2007 02:48 AM

i have inspected my new to me trailer and everything still looks new, the wood in all the cabinets, the stove is beautiful and the refrigerator was made in sweden..everything works...one problem though...in the back where the cord is stored, it is all rusty in there and ugly, looks like when the man towed it to my house i think he scraped on the dirt backing it in and i notice it has some rusty thin type metal plate kind of hanging...my question is this..do i have to have it welded or what? My friend is a welder, will i need him?

dudebb 07-18-2007 06:39 AM

different topic

Hi Browniiis88,
Since you are asking about a different topic then the vent repair, I'd suggest you start a new thread with a heading something like "Do I need a welder??". And post a photo or two of the area of concern. You will then be directing your "new" question to an audience who may be able to help you - those with knowlledge of welding. Right now, you are asking in a thread dealing with vent covers. Good luck!

davidz71 07-18-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

yes i thought that too before i removed the vent caps.

mine were from the factory with the screen underneath. i really don't think it matters that much as the big dollop of vulkem is what actually seals the vent.

the real issue is taking a look at them every 5 years or so and replacing the gasket/vulkem combination. if the screen is on top, that works as well!

john

John, my screens were under the gasket like yours so I just installed the new kit like you did. No problems but for some reason my Trempro reacted with the rubber gasket and the gray turned to a slight amber color. I will probably trim some of the Trempro off and seal on top again to make it blend in with the trailer. Trempro everywhere else such as the solar panel mounts has dried a nice gray color that is smooth and rubbery to feel.

ROBERT CROSS 09-04-2007 07:47 PM

Trempro; Where To Get It

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidz71
I will probably trim some of the Trempro off and seal on top again to make it blend in with the trailer. Trempro everywhere else such as the solar panel mounts has dried a nice gray color that is smooth and rubbery to feel.

:huh: Great thread; was directed here from one I started yesterday. This Trempro stuff is it a readily available product, I like that smooth and rubbery feel myself. Definitely not what was used at the Factory. Has anyone had to remove the vent completely from a similiar unit? Seems kind of cramped up there. Kind of windy yesterday,spent just enough time to take some pic's and spread some "quack" tape for a quick temporary fix.:huh: Thanks everyone!!!

If you look closely you can see the the screw holes in the flange that were just covered over with that gray matter:(

john hd 09-08-2007 04:42 PM

here is a link to the thread robert is refering to https://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ent-35651.html

just for future reference... nice job on your vents too robert!

john

cmkirkland 06-27-2010 10:03 PM

I like the idea of attaching the aluminum screen directly to the cap, instead of over the pipe. Any one ever tried using copper screen? Will the copper react with the aluminum?
Thanks for addressing the drain hole issue. I guess mine was an overlook during assembly, because there is no way for drainage, except for the cap to fill and over flow into the vent pipe. I was lucky to have a good seal. The rubber gasket was dried, cracked and offering no protection.
Thanks, Mitch

cmkirkland 06-28-2010 05:06 PM

Drain holes found. Once all of the Vulkem was removed, they were there.
Thanks again.
Mitch