Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   1949 ??? What is it? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/1949-what-is-it-23384.html)

kc7hfa 06-07-2006 12:22 PM

1949 ??? What is it?
 
I have a 1949 AS SN:4003 (Main Street, LA, Ca) That I purchased aprox 13 years ago. Now I am trying to determine the model that I have. The body measures approx 20' with a overall length of approx 23' 6", and the ceiling height is 6'1". It looks like the tongue may have been extended at some point in it's life. It has a toilet and shower, with the necessary holding tanks. The front and rear windows are solid and curved and it has three sets of windows on each side of the unit, with two adjustable panes per window. The three vents on top have an adjustment for height on the front and back of each vent. It also has a propane stove and heater. Can anyone give me any idea's on it's model and/or possible value?:confused:

Thanks,
Ron

InsideOut 06-07-2006 12:37 PM

Can you post any pictures? It may help ID it.

There are also some e folks here that are very good with the "what is it mystery" so hang in there, someone will be able to help you.

In the meantime, have you looked at the Vintage Archives and the Price vs Condition guide, they may also help ID it and give you an idea of value.

Shari :flowers:

wkerfoot 06-07-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc7hfa
I have a 1949 AS SN:4003 (Main Street, LA, Ca) That I purchased aprox 13 years ago. Now I am trying to determine the model that I have. The body measures approx 20' with a overall length of approx 23' 6", and the ceiling height is 6'1". It looks like the tongue may have been extended at some point in it's life. It has a toilet and shower, with the necessary holding tanks. The front and rear windows are solid and curved and it has three sets of windows on each side of the unit, with two adjustable panes per window. The three vents on top have an adjustment for height on the front and back of each vent. It also has a propane stove and heater. Can anyone give me any idea's on it's model and/or possible value?:confused:

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

Does it look like the trailers on this site: http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ner/index.html

RJ also has information on values. Pictures would help in guessing value, but is probably depends on finding the right person to purchase it.

Bill

InsideOut 06-07-2006 12:38 PM

Jinx! :lol:

wkerfoot 06-07-2006 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut
Jinx! :lol:

Same to you, mine posted first.

Bill

InsideOut 06-07-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Same to you, mine posted first.

Bill

mine shows as post #2

Shari :flowers:

kc7hfa 06-07-2006 01:19 PM

I've loooked at the pictures you mentioned and it is somewhat the same. But, the serial number is totally out of sequence. It has the same type of serial # plate but no additional numbers or letters on the plate just the 4003. In looking through old ads (on the net) it appears to be a "Globetrotter", but I can't find anything on the net to look at for comparison. It does look a lot like a liner based on the outward appearance, but the floor plans are totally different. Mine has a bathroom/shower in the rear with a double bed on the left side in the back (Water storage tank under it) and dinette in the front, with the stove and sink on the left and refer and heater on either side of the door.

MarkR 06-07-2006 01:24 PM

that number is strange . . . did someone already say pictures would be helpful?

kc7hfa 06-07-2006 01:42 PM

Yes they did... I will have them later on today or tomorrow...

Jim & Susan 06-07-2006 02:13 PM

Can't wait to see this one. A '40's model is supposed to very rare.

Jim

wkerfoot 06-07-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut
mine shows as post #2

Shari :flowers:

Shari,

Interesting, when I look, mine is post #2. Perhaps the software shows the authors posts first if there is a tie. I wonder which post shows as #2 for other than you and I.

Bill

GreatPumpkin 06-07-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Shari,

Interesting, when I look, mine is post #2. Perhaps the software shows the authors posts first if there is a tie. I wonder which post shows as #2 for other than you and I.

Bill

Sorry - Shari's got post #2 when I view it.
Today, 11:37 AM #2 InsideOut vbmenu_register("postmenu_241080", true);
Moderator

https://www.airforums.com/forum...ine=1140676739
Profile: 1964 19' Globetrotter
Edgewater, Colorado Posts: 4,196
Status: Online

Can you post any pictures? It may help ID it.

There are also some e folks here that are very good with the "what is it mystery" so hang in there, someone will be able to help you.

In the meantime, have you looked at the Vintage Archives and the Price vs Condition guide, they may also help ID it and give you an idea of value.

Shari :flowers:
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - 2nd Vice President
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)

henrydahm 06-07-2006 02:35 PM

Who's on First?!?
 
nice thread - I'm sooo close to driving away with a 1961 24' tradewind and I know nothing - well I've been now addicted to reading all I can about airstream & towing for the last two weeks - I need lots of input and advice and It looks like I've come to the right place.

Henry

Jim & Susan 06-07-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut
Can you post any pictures? It may help ID it.

There are also some e folks here that are very good with the "what is it mystery" so hang in there, someone will be able to help you.

In the meantime, have you looked at the Vintage Archives and the Price vs Condition guide, they may also help ID it and give you an idea of value.

Shari :flowers:

If it helps, this is the one I saw first....(above by InsideOut)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Ron,

Does it look like the trailers on this site: http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ner/index.html

RJ also has information on values. Pictures would help in guessing value, but is probably depends on finding the right person to purchase it.

Bill

Then this one by wkerfoot

Jim

InsideOut 06-07-2006 03:52 PM

Gotta love it!
 
Oh Boy! We must all be super bored at work today...huh?! :clap:

Shari :flowers:

Jim & Susan 06-07-2006 03:55 PM

Yea, but I haven't heard anybody "jinx" anybody in years. Gave me a really nice laugh! Back to your regularly scheduled thread, now.

Jim

InsideOut 06-07-2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Yea, but I haven't heard anybody "jinx" anybody in years. Gave me a really nice laugh! Back to your regularly scheduled thread, now.

Jim

Guess that shows my age, huh!?

Shari :flowers:

Jim & Susan 06-07-2006 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut
Guess that shows my age, huh!?

Shari :flowers:

And mine, too!

Jim

yukionna 06-08-2006 08:46 AM

Jinx
 
Well, all I can say is I have my "mojo hand" on for protection while reading this thread! ;)

Definitions of jinx on the Web:
  • The bearer of bad luck. A mojo hand would be worn for protection from a jinx.
    blues.about.com/cs/bluesinschools/a/blbluesgloss_2.htm

  • hex: cast a spell over someone or something; put a hex on someone or something
  • jonah: a person believed to bring bad luck to those around him
  • hex: an evil spell; "a witch put a curse on his whole family"; "he put the whammy on me"
  • foredoom to failure; "This project is jinxed!"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

  • A jinx, in popular superstition and folklore, is:* A sort of curse placed on a person that makes them prey to large numbers of minor misfortunes and other forms of bad luck; * A person afflicted with a similar curse, who, while not directly subject to a series of misfortunes, seems to attract them to anyone in his general area.*An object or animal that brings bad luck.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinx

  • Jinx is the major label debut of the Icelandic rap/rock band Quarashi.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinx_(album)

  • Jinx is a supervillain appearing in the DC Comics universe. She is an intiated member of the Fearsome Five (although she was not one of the original group). She first appeared in Tales of the Teen Titans #56.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinx_(comics)

  • Jinx was a minor recurring character on the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer during season 5. He was a demon and worshipped Glory, whom he served as a minion.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinx_(Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer)

InsideOut 06-08-2006 09:34 AM

Geeze, and I thought it was just a simple childhood game!

"Jinx, you owe me a coke!" when you both said something at the same time. I guess it probably evolved from if you give me a gift, then I'll lift the hex from you. yikes!~ I won't be using that anymore!

Shari :flowers:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.