Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Title, VIN & Registration (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f352/)
-   -   1964 Overlander International -VIN (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f352/1964-overlander-international-vin-22960.html)

calredcoat 05-22-2006 09:40 PM

1964 Overlander International -VIN
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi, We have just purchased what we think is a 1964 Overlander International Land Yacht. It is a full restoration project and we do not have any information of the history of this trailer. We have the VIN number but can't find any information regarding VIN's for 1964. Is there somewhere you can go to run the VIN? Also, if anyone could tell if there is a place to download a manual. https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148355540 The is a picture of our diamond in the major rough.

wkerfoot 05-22-2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calredcoat
Hi, We have just purchased what we think is a 1964 Overlander International Land Yacht. It is a full restoration project and we do not have any information of the history of this trailer. We have the VIN number but can't find any information regarding VIN's for 1964. Is there somewhere you can go to run the VIN? Also, if anyone could tell if there is a place to download a manual. https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148355540 The is a picture of our diamond in the major rough.

Calredcoat,

The best source of VIN information that I have found is at www.vintageairstream.com and the photo archive here: http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

Bill

Andrew Selking 05-22-2006 09:54 PM

Please post your VIN and the group here at the forums will tell you what you have. Do you have any inside pictures ? This looks like a good find will polish up fine. If you are looking for a WBCCI unit to join send me a PM . We have some members that live in Spring and you might want to hook up with them they are great Airstreamers.

GreatPumpkin 05-22-2006 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calredcoat
Hi, We have just purchased what we think is a 1964 Overlander International Land Yacht. It is a full restoration project and we do not have any information of the history of this trailer. We have the VIN number but can't find any information regarding VIN's for 1964. Is there somewhere you can go to run the VIN? Also, if anyone could tell if there is a place to download a manual. https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148355540 The is a picture of our diamond in the major rough.

Welcome to the forums - it's good to see another '64 out there. I was beginning to think I had an anomoly as there seem to be very few members with '64 Overlanders. It appears from your picture that you have a California model. You can decode your serial number using the following:
First digit should be an O or I, next two numbers would be 26 (length) next digit a 4 (1964) Next digit a 1 or 2 depending on a twin layout or a single double bed in the hallway. Last four digits are the sequence.
Example, mine is S 026410559 (Ohio model 26' 1964 Double bed, sequence # 0559)

1964 Overlander 26'
Ohio | S O(I) 26 4 1(2) NNNN
California | O(I) 26 4 1(2) S NNNN
(O prefix = Landyacht options; I = International options)
(1=double-bed layout, 2=twin-bed)

Compare yours to others here: https://vintageairstream.com/archives...der/index.html

GreatPumpkin 05-22-2006 10:12 PM

I forgot to mention I have the original owners manual for mine in great shape. I don't know of any place they are available - if you can't find one I would be happy to photocopy mine and send it to you for the cost of the copies and postage.

calredcoat 05-22-2006 10:15 PM

1964 - Overlander interior dump pictures -plus VIN
 
Hi Andrew,

We'll she doesn't look to bad on the outside but the inside is like from the movie twister. We are thinking about calling her Dorothy. To bad we can't tap our red shoes together and have a new interior. This restoration will definitely be a labor of love. This is our second restoration. Our first one was a 1983 popup skamper which we recently sold on Ebay. Our VIN number is I24-S-5215 and just below that engraved is 6404. What does all this mean?
https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148357333

https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148357037

GreatPumpkin 05-22-2006 10:33 PM

Your last photo links aren't working. Do you have more pictures? What do the rear taillights look like?
I don't think you've got a '64 Overlander by the numbers provided. It might be a '64 Tradewind 24'. Is the number I 24-S-5215 as posted above, or I 42-S-5215 as posted in your profile?

calredcoat 05-22-2006 10:46 PM

photos of the inside and out
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Your last photo links aren't working. Do you have more pictures? What do the rear taillights look like?
I don't think you've got a '64 by the numbers provided.


Here are some pictures.Attachment 21568

Attachment 21572

Attachment 21574Attachment 21575

It is a complete disaster on the inside. Also, Does anyone know what the white numbers on the outside shell stand for? Ours is 29741.

GreatPumpkin 05-22-2006 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calredcoat
......Does anyone know what the white numbers on the outside shell stand for? Ours is 29741.

Those are the remains of the RED WBCCI membership numbers https://www.wbcci.org/
Wally Byam Caravan Club International.

Picture links still show "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

I'm pretty sure by the numbers provided that you've got a '64 Tradewind 24' model but the last 4 digits 5215 are throwing me, as it should be a 4nnn instead of a 5nnn.
California | O(I) 4 1(2) S 4NNN
("O" prefix for Landyacht options; "I" for Int'l options)
"2"=twin-bed layout; "1"=double-bed

calredcoat 05-22-2006 10:52 PM

Overlander
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Your last photo links aren't working. Do you have more pictures? What do the rear taillights look like?
I don't think you've got a '64 Overlander by the numbers provided. It might be a '64 Tradewind 24'. Is the number I 24-S-5215 as posted above, or I 42-S-5215 as posted in your profile?

It's late for me. The VIN number is I 42-S-5215. Sorry about the pictures, this is the first time I have ever been on a forum. Still trying to figure out how to things work. Also I forgot to mention that there is a 6404 engraved just below the VIN. Does that mean anything? The name plate does have Overlander on it.

calredcoat 05-22-2006 10:54 PM

Pics
 
https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148357037
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Those are the remains of the RED WBCCI membership numbers https://www.wbcci.org/
Wally Byam Caravan Club International.

Picture links still show "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Okay, that is really strange, because when I click on them my pics come up.

calredcoat 05-22-2006 11:04 PM

More pics
 
https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148359501https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148359346

calredcoat 05-22-2006 11:06 PM

https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148357333

calredcoat 05-22-2006 11:09 PM

more pics
 
https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148360917

GreatPumpkin 05-22-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calredcoat
It's late for me. The VIN number is I 42-S-5215. Sorry about the pictures, this is the first time I have ever been on a forum. Still trying to figure out how to things work. Also I forgot to mention that there is a 6404 engraved just below the VIN. Does that mean anything? The name plate does have Overlander on it.

Maybe I should step back and let an expert chime in here - I'm fairly new to Airstreams myself. As far as I can determine a '64 Overlander California model should have a number in the format of I 26 42 S 5215: I = International options, 26 = length 4 = ? 2 = Twin bed layout S = California factory NNNN = Sequential number. The 6404 I don't have any idea about.

Don't worry though, someone else will pop in and set us straight:)

Van 05-22-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calredcoat
https://www.airforums.com/forum...1&d=1148357037

Okay, that is really strange, because when I click on them my pics come up.


It could be a number of issues. Too many photos, photos too big, etc. A mod can tell you for sure what your doing wrong i think. You could also sign up for ... https://photobucket.com/

A free online hosting service.

Nice find on the trailer btw, cute kid too.

overlander63 05-23-2006 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What you seem to have, is a 28' Ambassador, International trim package. 26 is an Overlander, 24 is a Tradewind. The "428 is a 1964, 28'. The extra window in the first picture leads me to believe it is an Ambassador, as it has one more window then our Overlander. Also, it seems to have come from Ohio, based on the shape of the wheelwells, the California models' wheelwells are arched, rather than straight.

47WeeWind 05-23-2006 07:04 AM

A character is still missing ...
 
Hi calredcoat:

I'll begin with the easy part: 6404 is the year and month your trailer was built, 1964 04 [April, the 4th month], or April 1964.

You still seem to be missing a number or character from your serial number. The first photo in this thread shows the name "Overlander" under the front jalousie window, so your trailer is a 26' Overlander. The small black plate next to the large serial number plate is a California Division of Housing certification plates and identifies your Overlander as having been built in California. The "I" in the serial number, the raised trim around the large blue serial number plate, and the name "International Land Yacht" on the blue serial number plate itself all identify your Overlander as having the International trim level package, the top of the line trim package. The 5 panel end caps and small black Calif. Div. of Housing plate appeared together only on 1964 trailers, which is consistent with the April 1964 built date, together which tell us yours is a 1964 model year trailer 26' Overlander International. But your serial number remains an odd puzzle.

Once you learn how to post a photo, could you please post a close up of your serial number? Could the "S" be a misread "6"? I'll refrain from further guessing until I see a photo of the serial number. Thanks, and welcome.

GreatPumpkin 05-23-2006 07:57 AM

Fred -
I was hoping you would see this post and chime in as you seem to be the expert in this:cool:

Why does the serial # format on the California model vary so much from the Ohio of the same model and vintage?

calredcoat 05-23-2006 02:29 PM

Pics of my VIN
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi calredcoat:

I'll begin with the easy part: 6404 is the year and month your trailer was built, 1964 04 [April, the 4th month], or April 1964.

You still seem to be missing a number or character from your serial number. The first photo in this thread shows the name "Overlander" under the front jalousie window, so your trailer is a 26' Overlander. The small black plate next to the large serial number plate is a California Division of Housing certification plates and identifies your Overlander as having been built in California. The "I" in the serial number, the raised trim around the large blue serial number plate, and the name "International Land Yacht" on the blue serial number plate itself all identify your Overlander as having the International trim level package, the top of the line trim package. The 5 panel end caps and small black Calif. Div. of Housing plate appeared together only on 1964 trailers, which is consistent with the April 1964 built date, together which tell us yours is a 1964 model year trailer 26' Overlander International. But your serial number remains an odd puzzle.

Once you learn how to post a photo, could you please post a close up of your serial number? Could the "S" be a misread "6"? I'll refrain from further guessing until I see a photo of the serial number. Thanks, and welcome.

Hi Fred,
Just got home from work. Happy to see your post. After going out and taking a couple of pictures of the VIN, I realize the I is actually a 1. So my VIN say 142 S 5215 and underneath 6404. Here are a couple of pictures of that. What do you make of it? Thanks, Pam
Attachment 21592

Attachment 21593


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.