Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   First Thread from tolla..... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/first-thread-from-tolla-22861.html)

tolla 05-19-2006 06:04 AM

First Thread from tolla.....
 
This is the first message I'm sending so hang in there while I traverse the expanse of this new frontier. I have never owned a travel trailer and only "camped" when I was a Boy Scout in my youth. I enjoy hiking, fishing, being outdoors etc. and have spent many days in state and national parks roaming around always using the hotel systems adjacent to those facilities. I am set on buying a travel trailer... even though I have never used one or lived "the life". I have some challenges ahead and would appreciate any feed back as I move forward: Challenges:1)Never owned travel trailer and have not camped for 30 years. 2)Short term will need to "park" trailer away from my house because of community rules. 3)Currently own a 1998 Exporer Limited so I know this will shrink my choices of trailers to purchase. 4)Want an AIRSTREAM in the worst way! Should I give up all hope and just buy a tent?

tolla

Chaplain Kent 05-19-2006 06:16 AM

Welcome to the forums. Never give up hope there is an Airstream for everyone. Your Explorer does pose problems mostly due to the wheel base. You will be better off looking at the older vintage units which are lighter than the newer ones and make sure you have a proper hitch with sway bars.
Good Luck to you.

Janet H 05-19-2006 08:16 AM

I occasionally have to tow with an explorer. Look at argosy 6 metre minuets, caravels and old Bambi's - anything bigger or heavier will be a problem with your tow vehicle.
remember that your tow vehicle has a finite life - your trailer will be around for a loooong time. if you want a bigger trailer - start thinking new tow vehicle.

tolla 05-19-2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Welcome to the forums. Never give up hope there is an Airstream for everyone. Your Explorer does pose problems mostly due to the wheel base. You will be better off looking at the older vintage units which are lighter than the newer ones and make sure you have a proper hitch with sway bars.
Good Luck to you.

Thanks for info.; Are you close to Milwaukee? I'll be Northern Wisconsin bound for a week in early June for some fishing with old college friends.

tolla 05-19-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet
I occasionally have to tow with an explorer. Look at argosy 6 metre minuets, caravels and old Bambi's - anything bigger or heavier will be a problem with your tow vehicle.
remember that your tow vehicle has a finite life - your trailer will be around for a loooong time. if you want a bigger trailer - start thinking new tow vehicle.

Thanks for advise! Do you happen to know of any good books / peridicals I could buy concerning Airstream trailers. I need to do some research on the suggestions you have made......

tolla

AYRSTRM2 05-19-2006 08:45 AM

There aren't really any books on Airstreams except for coffee table type books and history. What research you are looking for mainly will reside here on the forum. The other RV forum, RV.net, can also be mined for info, but it's not AS specific. Use the search tool, and when coming up empty, post a message. Good luck!

tolla 05-19-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
There aren't really any books on Airstreams except for coffee table type books and history. What research you are looking for mainly will reside here on the forum. The other RV forum, RV.net, can also be mined for info, but it's not AS specific. Use the search tool, and when coming up empty, post a message. Good luck!

Thanks John- I have a few other questions if / when you have time..... I'm reading the different threads and see people talking about "regions.." What are the regions boundaries? Are there any rally's coming up soon in the Michigan area (close to Detroit i) if possible. I really need to take the time to get my feet and eyes in some of these different trailer models to see what is available.


tolla


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.