Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   A/C fan is not running (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/a-c-fan-is-not-running-224320.html)

Xin Li 06-20-2021 03:40 PM

A/C fan is not running
 
First time try to use my ac. It ran for a couple minutes then the fan stopped. I have to leave the ac power off at least about 10 minutes, then I can start the fan again. However it just ran a couple minutes and then stopped. What could be the problem? I have the original domestic ac. I replaced the fan run capacitor already. TIA

uncle_bob 06-20-2021 04:00 PM

Hi

It might help if we knew what era AS you have.

Based on the information supplied, I'd guess your compressor is shot. That would make more sense on an older / used AS when you are not the original owner.

Bob

Xin Li 06-20-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle_bob (Post 2507371)
Hi

It might help if we knew what era AS you have.

Based on the information supplied, I'd guess your compressor is shot. That would make more sense on an older / used AS when you are not the original owner.

Bob

It is a 1992 Airstream Classic 29' . The pipes connected to compressor one is cold and another one is hot. Seems compressor still working.

uncle_bob 06-20-2021 04:25 PM

Hi

Next guess would be the control board.

You might want to update your member info to show the AS you have. It would save you from being pestered with "which one?" questions all the time.

Bob

Xin Li 06-20-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle_bob (Post 2507377)
Hi

Next guess would be the control board.

You might want to update your member info to show the AS you have. It would save you from being pestered with "which one?" questions all the time.

Bob

The ac unit is Coleman Mach series

uncle_bob 06-20-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xin Li (Post 2507386)
The ac unit is Coleman Mach series

Hi

Lots of places sell Coleman. Call around and see if anybody has a control board in stock.

Bob

Buckless 06-21-2021 09:44 AM

fan motor
 
Sounds like your fan motor may be bad. aaait should have an internal overload that turns it off when it is pulling too many amps and overheating. As it cools the internal overload will let it start again.

Good Luck

Wazbro 06-21-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckless (Post 2507574)
Sounds like your fan motor may be bad. aaait should have an internal overload that turns it off when it is pulling too many amps and overheating. As it cools the internal overload will let it start again.

Good Luck

X2, had the fan motor seize up on AC on my 1988 AS about 4 years ago, a couple years after the fan seized on my brothers 1986 AS. Oiling the fan motor only got a couple more days out of it each of those times.

emelaich01 06-21-2021 12:53 PM

Fan Not Running
 
If your unit's equipped with a fan start/run capacitor, it could also be that.

If you're able to get up on the roof and pull the cover, check for a very hot motor as well as a fan capacitor whose 'can' is swollen or leaking an oily substance. If the cap looks normal, the motor may indeed be at fault. Some makes have a thermal breaker imbedded in the stator windings that will open if the motor is experiencing an overheat situation.

If you can access the fan, maybe even from the inside, cut the power and try turning the fan by hand. It should rotate easily; if not, you may be able to get some oil around at each end of the motor where the fan shafts exit as a temporary fix.

If it's the capacitor, then an HVAC or motor ship, Grainger or Graybar will probably have a replacement on hand for around $15.

Hope this helps!

If

Xin Li 06-22-2021 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by emelaich01 (Post 2507642)
If your unit's equipped with a fan start/run capacitor, it could also be that.

If you're able to get up on the roof and pull the cover, check for a very hot motor as well as a fan capacitor whose 'can' is swollen or leaking an oily substance. If the cap looks normal, the motor may indeed be at fault. Some makes have a thermal breaker imbedded in the stator windings that will open if the motor is experiencing an overheat situation.

If you can access the fan, maybe even from the inside, cut the power and try turning the fan by hand. It should rotate easily; if not, you may be able to get some oil around at each end of the motor where the fan shafts exit as a temporary fix.

If it's the capacitor, then an HVAC or motor ship, Grainger or Graybar will probably have a replacement on hand for around $15.

Hope this helps!

If

I replaced all capacitors already. still the same issue. most likely is the fan motor is bad. It is hard to find a replace for the one I have.

uncle_bob 06-23-2021 08:06 AM

Hi

At some point, replacing the A/C unit is the answer. Parts do get scarce after 30 years. The good news is that the modern units are a lot quieter than some of the older stuff.

Bob

Wazbro 06-23-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xin Li (Post 2508064)
I replaced all capacitors already. still the same issue. most likely is the fan motor is bad. It is hard to find a replace for the one I have.

When my brother's quit the correct fan was about $350 plus shipping (other AC fan motors were around $150), at the time a new AC was under $800. Not really worth fixing for the cost difference, especially since it wasn't cooling as well as it should when the fan was working.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.