Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/)
-   -   Generator fuel pump? hiding... (1984 325 MH) (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/generator-fuel-pump-hiding-1984-325-mh-223320.html)

Shinytoaster 05-26-2021 11:41 AM

Generator fuel pump? hiding... (1984 325 MH)

Hi folks - can someone please tell me if there is (and where) a fuel pump for the 7000 kW Kohler generator in a 1984 325 MH?

The reason the generator was 'dead' according to the seller turned out to be no fuel.. essentially (other than the starter motor not engaging). I pulled the fuel line off by the fuel filter (in the gen bay) and couldn't blow back, nor draw any fuel. I disconnected the fuel line close to the main tank and could push air (gen to disconnected section), so figured there's 1) either a blockage closer to the tank, 2) an inline fuel pump I can't find... or 3) a fuel pump in or on the main tank.. that's going to be a pain given there's 40 gallons of fuel in there and it would likely need dropping.

Any ideas?

Thanks -
Pete M

Shinytoaster 06-22-2021 02:37 PM

Oops

1 Attachment(s)
I guess itís a pull pump verses a push pump. Anyone know the replacement part details?

Thx -
Pete Mc

PeterH-350LE 06-22-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinytoaster (Post 2508037)
I guess itís a pull pump verses a push pump. Anyone know the replacement part details?

Thx -
Pete Mc

check this place:
https://www.colburnpower.com/kohler-...-parts-p3.html

Shinytoaster 08-23-2021 03:08 PM

Not the fuel pump, on the Gen

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE (Post 2508094)

Well... bit of a delay... lets just say I'm pacing myself so I don't burn out :)

I finally got around to testing the fuel pump on the geni and ... go figure... it works just fine. Pulls gas up from a can below. I tried pumping air back through the line to see if I could hear any bubbles in the tank or leaks/hissing... nothing. I can't find an out board fuel pump near the tank either (dang it).

Two options - 1) drop tank 2) locate spot above and cut a hole in the deck (it old carpet that coming out anyway. Any preferences? The tank still has a LOT of fuel in it, so was trying to avoid buying another large container. Not the end of the world if I do... just incase of the apocalypse... you know it's coming, just kidding :)

92landyacht 08-24-2021 06:15 AM

Have you tried to pull a syphon on the fuel line and see if you can draw fuel from the tank?

When you say that you tried pumping air back into the tank but "nothing", were you able to push air forward or did it seem blocked?

There will not be any pump at the tank. The only pump in the generator system is the one at the generator.

Once you get everything working again, make sure you put an inline fuel filter before the pump as well.

chiefair 08-24-2021 08:00 AM

I would recommend option 1 - pull the tank. This will allow you to access and replace all of the rubber fuel lines on the tank. You can paint the tank and check the inside for debris and the condition of your sending unit/ fuel pickup tube. You can do it now or do it later but it should be on your list of things to be done.

Shinytoaster 08-25-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92landyacht (Post 2530184)
Have you tried to pull a syphon on the fuel line and see if you can draw fuel from the tank?

When you say that you tried pumping air back into the tank but "nothing", were you able to push air forward or did it seem blocked?

There will not be any pump at the tank. The only pump in the generator system is the one at the generator.

Thanks - I haven't tried to syphon - I haven't been able to pull any gas through and (now) knowing the fuel pump on the Geni is working, there must be something blocking the fuel. When I tried to push air back from the geni to the tank (used a bike pump and my son listened for any bubbles/air noises) there was nothing and seemed to build up pressure as if it was blocked.

I did read somewhere on the forum that there was likely to be a second pump for the geni by the tank - so I'm not sure now. Hopefully dropping the tank, putting new lines in etc will solve the issue.. especially if there isn't another pump blocking flow.

92landyacht 08-26-2021 05:12 AM

Yep, sounds like dropping the tank is your next option. Doubt that there is a second pump though. Most likely you have a kinked fuel line or a clogged pickup tube.

Let us know how it goes.

Shinytoaster 08-30-2021 09:08 AM

Yeah - I think you are right. Given there's potential of low fuel causing the larger donk to stall there maybe a broader issue in the tank it's self. As noted, It has sat there for a long time so due a clean out. I'll pick up a 44 gal drum and pump to ease the job... and the cycle jack previously notes. Thanks again!

92landyacht 08-30-2021 11:43 AM

Cycle jack also works great for dropping the generator if you ever need to. Let us know how the tank drop goes. Pictures would be great!!! A lot of folks on here need to drop their tanks but are intimidated by the size of the tank. Anything that would make the job easier should be noted. Might even want to start a new threat specifically related to the tank drop. That would make it easier for others to find.

One thing about these old motorhomes.... You never have to worry about getting bored.;)

Shinytoaster 08-31-2021 05:42 AM

[QUOTE=One thing about these old motorhomes.... You never have to worry about getting bored.;)[/QUOTE]

Never a truer word said!