Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Awnings (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/)
-   -   Did I just make a huge mistake? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/did-i-just-make-a-huge-mistake-222427.html)

Happy2BeHere 05-04-2021 05:13 PM

Did I just make a huge mistake?

1 Attachment(s)
I am renovating a 1981 Excella II. When purchased, it was missing the main (Curbside) awning. The previous owners also put silicone all along the original aluminum mounting strip. I cleaned off the silicone & removed the mounting strip.

Today I buck riveted all the holes left in the exterior where that mounting strip was installed - but without re-installing the awning mounting strip.

I DO eventually want to buy another, new awning. Do the new awnings use the same mounting strip?

I am just kicking myself! If Airstream/Zipdee are still using the same mounting, then I probably need to drill out all those new rivets, & put the old awning strip back on. Geez!!!

Am I right, did I just waste my entire day & make more work for myself? Attachment 394897

OTRA15 05-04-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy2BeHere (Post 2490565)
. . .
Am I right, did I just waste my entire day & make more work for myself
. . .

Maybe . . . maybe not IMO.

:blink:

Probably a good idea not to obsess over every little thing like this IMO.

There will be missteps and mistakes . . . lucky fortuities . . . pleasant surprises . . . and other odd-ball hiccups over the next few years . . .

All to be expected . . . all cool . . . happy to be here . . .

:cool::wally::cool:

s1000pre 05-04-2021 05:28 PM

This is where I’m going to say...don’t look back.

InsideOut 05-04-2021 06:52 PM

Two steps forward, one step back...

Quote:

Do the new awnings use the same mounting strip?

Yes, sorry. Could be worse...

Shari :flowers:

Happy2BeHere 05-04-2021 06:56 PM

OTRA15 & s1000pre, thanks for the encouragement. Think I'll go make myself a cocktail. Tomorrow morning I'll start removing rivets so that I can install that awning rail. Live & learn.

I got so wrapped up in the process of buck riveting & working with my teenage daughter that I lost sight of the big picture. We live in Florida & I need to get the shell water-tight & back on the trailer frame by June so that we can move the Airstream away from large trees if a hurricane threatens.

Thanks again[emoji4]

OTRA15 05-05-2021 02:23 AM

Slantia!

fthopkins 05-05-2021 10:31 AM

For what it's worth, I would put a good quality aluminum caulking in each hole before replacing the awning mounting strip. That's just me. Maybe over kill but I HATE leaks.

Kawboy01 05-06-2021 07:12 AM

My question would be what if you didn't have an awning to begin with and how would it be installed? Would the installer just.reposition the mounting strip? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be removing rivets.

Bill M. 05-06-2021 07:34 AM

I do not think the original awning installation was with bucked rivets. Mine was not. And yes, you will need the awning rail to install an awning.

Belegedhel 05-06-2021 11:28 AM

Well, now is the time to fix the mistake and reinstall the awning rail.

Don't feel bad, though. I have made so many mistakes during my rebuild that I have dubbed my trailer (unofficially) as "The Err-stream."

good luck!

OTRA15 05-06-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belegedhel (Post 2491174)
. . .
. . . "The Err-stream."
. . .

Good one!

:D

Happy2BeHere 05-07-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belegedhel (Post 2491174)
Well, now is the time to fix the mistake and reinstall the awning rail.

Don't feel bad, though. I have made so many mistakes during my rebuild that I have dubbed my trailer (unofficially) as "The Err-stream."

good luck!

Err-stream, I love it!

AldeanFan 05-09-2021 11:51 AM

There are no mistakes when working on an airstream, just lessons.
Good luck

LynneC 05-09-2021 02:09 PM

I don't know anything about the rivets and stuff :). I just wanted to say that the awning of my 1981 Excella II sure does shake (it shakes the entire trailer) in even minor wind, like above 16mph. So, if you are already 'fixing' the awning, you might consider a more secure attachment of the Zip Dee at the trailer. Living alone, and it taking 2 people to retract the awning, I, unfortunately, seldom open the awning, dang it.
Also, I read on the forum that when it rains be sure to have one side of the awning at a lower notch so the rain spills off one end.
Best,
Lynne

SeeMore 05-09-2021 03:55 PM

Its All In Technique

Heads up LynneC... awnings and wind never mix and that is because the awning basically becomes an unbridled sail in breezes above 12mph. Although 'LandYacht' is an Airstream term, they certainly aren't intended to mimic sailboat rigging!

Put the awning away whenever the wind kicks up or you are away from your trailer or else you risk thousands in damage.

The proper technique deploying or collapsing your awning will reduce the effort to a single person task rather than the gargantuan effort you describe. Instructions can be found here:

https://bit.ly/3y0EYXm

blkmagikca 05-09-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

I am renovating a 1981 Excella II. When purchased, it was missing the main (Curbside) awning. The previous owners also put silicone all along the original aluminum mounting strip. I cleaned off the silicone & removed the mounting strip.

Today I buck riveted all the holes left in the exterior where that mounting strip was installed - but without re-installing the awning mounting strip.

I DO eventually want to buy another, new awning. Do the new awnings use the same mounting strip?
Attachment 394897

Actually, the mounting strip in all likelihood has changed. However, a new awning from ZipDee will include a new railing. You can buy the awning complete with all the hardware (railing, arms, supports, etc.) directly from ZipDee.

Condoluminum 05-09-2021 07:27 PM

I second notion of caulking along mounting strip as that is place where water will sit for long periods in rainy weather.. Bad place for water to get in and flow down inside walls to wooden sub-floor..

Also agree Zip Dee should provide new mounting strip as part of awning assembly or kit.. Also good to add caulk or sealant around lower awning support mounts.. Typically hose are riveted to hold in place with single rivet, and then heavy sheet metal screws in remaining holes for stronger shear strength..

And yeah, Zip Dee's are very good at being "flexible and adaptable" if mounting geometry off just a tiny bit, but if wind gets under awning fabric and lifts hard, upper "rafters" will fail and you will have miserable remainder of your trip.. Always plan to retract awning at night anywhere wind or storms are remotely possible, and whenever you are leaving the trailer in one of those locations...

Boondocker 05-09-2021 07:29 PM

Man, if that is your idea of a huge mistake, come live in my world for a while. That will realign your perspective. :blink:

LynneC 05-09-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeMore (Post 2492215)
Heads up LynneC... awnings and wind never mix and that is because the awning basically becomes an unbridled sail in breezes above 12mph. Although 'LandYacht' is an Airstream term, they certainly aren't intended to mimic sailboat rigging!

Put the awning away whenever the wind kicks up or you are away from your trailer or else you risk thousands in damage.

The proper technique deploying or collapsing your awning will reduce the effort to a single person task rather than the gargantuan effort you describe. Instructions can be found here:

https://bit.ly/3y0EYXm

Sir Tristan, thanks for the link but that awning is way shorter and a much newer version from my 31' 1981!! I've had plenty of grown men cuss when retracting my awning :lol:

LilPeanut 05-10-2021 05:23 AM

In any of my projects, it’s not what I know is broken or needs fixing, it’s what I break while fixing things that takes most of the time. Luckily, I like projects.