Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (
-   General Repair Forum (
-   -   Horrible Odor (

Zan 03-17-2021 11:06 AM

Horrible Odor
I have a 2019 flying cloud. I recently noticed an odor which smelled electrical or a burning smell. I cleaned every storage area and could not find where it was coming from. That night the smell was so bad it woke me. I called the dealer to set up an appointment and I have to wait 5 days. The smell seems to have permeated the trailer and Iím concerned for my health. Any ideas what this could be?

ROBERT CROSS 03-17-2021 11:27 AM

Welcome Aboard👍
More info...what's on? furnace?, water heater, are you on shore power? lead acid, AGM, Lithium batteries?
A sulfur like smell indicates overcharging with lead acid batteries. Un-plug shore power.


Zan 03-17-2021 11:44 AM

The HP was on, and I shut it down that night. Water heater off, on shore power and disconnected it yesterday but it didn’t seem to help. Lithium batteries and smelled the area but no smell. Heat seems to aggravate the odor as I used the stove and it seemed to stir it up.
I don’t have the noxious odor I had in the night, but sometimes I believe I can get whiffs of it at the back of the trailer. I have a rear bedroom

OTRA15 03-17-2021 01:08 PM

A dead mouse etc. hidden somewhere? Suggest getting someone with a very good nose to "sniff it out" in all the hidden storage spaces, under the bed, etc..

Are your holding tanks empty and reasonably clean, or at least treated with chemicals for smell? Both the black and grey tanks may need help, depending on the circumstances.

More detailed clues would help IMO. Are you in Illinois and using the trailer? On the road? Is the trailer winterized, in storage, being used, etc. etc.?

Welcome to the forum.

Zan 03-17-2021 01:24 PM

I have been in Arizona since last November. I have checked everywhere for rodents and found nothing. I have even snapped pictures of all areas open but impossible to see into, even the vents in the ceiling.
I keep on top of holding tanks and always use Happy Camper.
I open the windows and vents during the day (vents open at night if itís not below 45), and it seems to kick up the burnt smell.

ROBERT CROSS 03-17-2021 01:52 PM

Any unusual vibrations when the heat pump is on.
I ignored it once 'cuz it wasn't to bad...mistake. In Spring when I turned it on again...stink, dead mousey critter.
Too bad, we can guess it for you, but we can't smell it for you.🥴

Good luck...


Zan 03-17-2021 02:32 PM

I canít imagine a dead mouse would smell like something burning, could it?

Vantair 03-17-2021 04:11 PM

Electrical Burning Smell location
If electronic smells, first would check closer with nose and visual for high heat burn / discoloration on the high current devices which would have the likely tendency to generate higher heats to sear electronic components and circuit boards: In order of likeliness assuming its not the common dusty heat strip stinking in the Dometic AC...

Converter, Inverter, Subwoofer, AM/FM Radio, TV's, water heater electronics, power strips, any fan motors which coils could heat and short (if you have any/all of these items). Possible any added device plugged into power ?

One thing about electrical burn smells is they stay for some time on the effected area and you may be able to pick up the smell when zeroed in at the source of issue.

ROBERT CROSS 03-17-2021 04:15 PM


Originally Posted by Zan (Post 2472739)
I canít imagine a dead mouse would smell like something burning, could it?

Probably not, but he was in the mouse wheel and sure did stink when it cycled on. 🤢


OTRA15 03-17-2021 04:22 PM

Good suggestions . . .

Borrow a dog or cat and let them sniff it out . . .:blink: . . . ?


Steamguy 03-17-2021 04:45 PM

Ya know.... Not so very long ago I had a SOB trailer that had a kink in the flexible duct that they use for the furnace. It restricted the airflow through that one leg, and the duct piece got HOT! And boy did it stink. Stink didn't go away for a long time.

This sounds so close to that, it sure makes me wonder. Can you have a look at the furnace itself and in the cabinets where the propane furnace ducts run, and check for kinks...?

Whee! Post #200 of mine, sure hope it helps.

glcmranger 03-17-2021 05:15 PM

Check your Air Admittance Valve (AAV) is stuck..... it's a black cap above each sink drain. If it's not working,,,,, that is the smell!

SSquared 03-17-2021 05:44 PM

We had a mystery odor that we eventually traced down to the 120 volt circuit breaker panel. Some of the screws that hold down the wires worked their way loose. That resulted in high heat and charred insulation on the wires. So definitely inspect those.

Also, I don't know if your model has a "transfer switch" or not, but if you have two different shore power sockets on your trailer, you have a transfer switch, and you should check the connections on it as well (if you have one, it is probably right on the back of your circuit breaker box).

mythbuster88 03-17-2021 07:35 PM

If you suspect the heat pump then don't use it.
Try a small electric heater. They work better anyway.

If the smell goes away then it might be the circuit breaker or a connection for the AC.

Night owls 03-18-2021 02:00 AM

Following this thread as I also have a 26ft. Keep us posted and good luck!

Zan 03-18-2021 01:10 PM

Thank you all for good advice. I have checked most of your suggestions (the ones I understand, single retired woman). I will post what the problem is when itís discovered. Many Thanks!

majorairhead 03-18-2021 02:25 PM

Are you sure you don't have a sewer gas issue? Maybe a black tank vent problem or something?

I know it's been discussed as smelling like electrical burning, I just thought I'd throw that out there.

A W Warn 03-18-2021 02:35 PM

Have you checked the pin in the break away switch at the hitch. If it has been pulled accidentally, the brake magnets can overheat/burn out and have a smell like you described.

Halford1 03-18-2021 02:43 PM

got a rodent inside stove or HP? does it smell like burning meat on grill?

Zan 03-22-2021 01:13 PM

Thank you all for your help with this problem. The actual cause is ďAmperage of overhead stove vent is way high overheating fan motor making noise and could stop anytimeĒ. What concerns me is when the smell was at its worst, I didnít have the fan on.
Thank you all again!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.