Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Steps (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f475/)
-   -   Huge potential mouse entry on all Airstreams (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f475/huge-potential-mouse-entry-on-all-airstreams-22024.html)

wacnstac 04-11-2006 12:08 PM

Huge potential mouse entry on all Airstreams

Has anybody ever looked at the slide that the entryway steps slide up and down in? Looks like a real nice place for mice to get into the underbelly and make it their home.

vvsculpt 04-11-2006 12:52 PM

mouse problem

I had mouse droppings in my trailer throughly checked for openings.
The only place they could have gotten in was the step slots. I just bought some coarse steel wool and jambed it in the slots. Since then I have had no problems.
vvsculpt

Chuck 04-11-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvsculpt
The only place they could have gotten in was the step slots. I just bought some coarse steel wool and jambed it in the slots. Since then I have had no problems.

...but how do the steps operate with all that stell wool jambed into the slots?

ArtStream 04-11-2006 02:08 PM

I have had a few rats walk right thru the front door :p

lewster 04-11-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvsculpt
vvsculpt

Try bronze wool......it won't trust like steel wool does.

john hd 04-11-2006 04:05 PM

you shouldn't have problems with your steps closed.

however, every owner of a late model airstream should drop their spare tire and look at the enormus hole the factory made for the umbilical cord entry.

if you have a newer trailer and mouse problems, start there first!

john

wacnstac 04-11-2006 07:10 PM

I don't plan on using my steps. My trailer is going to be more or less a "park" model so I could plug these holes with whatever would work. I will build a wood step to get into the trailer.

scottanlily 04-11-2006 08:17 PM

Hello everyone ,

I will just say that mice can get thru the smallest of holes .Its really hard to believe , but they can almost flatten themselves out.The word is bounce dryer sheets out around in the cupboards , storage areas , etc. They say mice dont like it. Worth a try .

Scott

SilverToy 04-12-2006 12:31 AM

Brass wool!

Scottlilly etal -

Stick with the brass wool. Works! Fits everywhere, no smell, no replacing, no rust. Just works for me!

My opinion, worth every penny!

Axel

66Overlander 04-12-2006 04:38 AM

Three things -

1) Where do I get brass wool?

2) Thanks for point out the Step Slides - hadn't thought of that before.

3) Other potential mouse entry points that I am aware or (and for which I'll need brass wool or something else (mid 80's trailer, in case that matters):
  • Frame Ends at the rear bumper
  • Frame Holes inside the rear bumper storage compartment
  • Frame Ends at the Tongue
  • Gaps between frame and outriggers immediately ahead of and behind each wheel well (also a potential entry point for moisture when the trailer is pulled on a wet road - I caulked ours shut)
  • Gaps around anything that protrudes thru the belly pan if not sealled properly (LP lines, Brake Wires, Water Lines, etc.)
  • Gaps at the corners of the spart tire mounting recess under the front of the trailer
  • Gaps between belly panels that exist due to failed rivets or river "pull thru" due to galvanic corrosion (i.e. the rivet hole corrodes and enlarges)
  • And now slide slots for the steps

KYAirstream 09-30-2012 09:14 PM

Old thread, but how do people keep mice from getting in the slots for the steps?

carl2591 02-12-2017 05:34 PM

hungry outdoor cats.. or keep the trailer on the move and the mice will not find you.. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYAirstream (Post 1209717)
Old thread, but how do people keep mice from getting in the slots for the steps?

kb0zke 02-12-2017 06:15 PM

We had mice in our Foretravel some when we first got it. We were able to get rid of them and since we've been full-timing we haven't had any return. I was a bit concerned about them when we were in Stillwater for five months, since the campground was surrounded by farm and the grass grew up near us, but the mice never came in, so I guess the neighbor's dogs running around all the time kept them down. We do have an indoor cat.

AWCHIEF 02-12-2017 06:26 PM

Only mouse I have had came free with my Safari when I got it. I followed the nasty smell until I found it behind one of the drawers.

gator.bigfoot 02-14-2017 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottanlily (Post 225403)
The word is bounce dryer sheets out around in the cupboards , storage areas , etc. They say mice dont like it. Worth a try .

Just an old wives tale. The mice will ignore it. The only thing that stops them is preventing them from entering.

I've been down this road before. I've tried everything. Close the holes.

Mollysdad 02-14-2017 08:44 AM

They say a mouse (or rat) can get into any space that their head fits through. That's pretty tiny.