Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows & Screens (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/)
-   -   Replacing glass on 1965 Airstream Tradewind 24' (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f454/replacing-glass-on-1965-airstream-tradewind-24-a-218524.html)

Time4fun 01-17-2021 10:57 PM

Replacing glass on 1965 Airstream Tradewind 24'

I am planning on replacing two windows on my 1965 Airstream Tradewind 24'. Can i just replace with regular glass and then seal it with silicone?

I currently have shattered glass removed but it has a thin black strip on there. I am guessing that is an adhesive to bind glass to frame?

Thank you.
T

Bubba L 01-18-2021 05:47 AM

T, you should get tempered glass. On our 66, the 1/8 tempered glass slid into a top bar. I had to run a drill bit perpendicular to the bar in the slot to enlarge it slightly to receive the glass. The black stuff was glazing tape used for typical framed windows. Good luck

Time4fun 01-18-2021 10:37 AM

Bubba, I had read that trailers before 66 used regular glass but was really unsure. Did you think Tempered glass would work for either 65 and 66 trailers? I am very inexperienced and am learning as i go. Did you just have a glass company cut the glass for you then?
I got most of the silicone out of the tracks on the window frame and it seems straight forward but.........
Thanks.. T

Hittenstiehl 01-18-2021 11:13 AM

65 are flat glass windows 1/8 tempered, tinted if you want. Buy anywhere. Add glazing tape.

66 (67 and 68) are curved Corning glass still made by Airstream and sold by VTS.

Bubba L 01-18-2021 11:59 AM

As Hittenstiehl pointed out, the street and curb side operable windows of the 66, 67 and 68 years had the chemical treated curved windows. The ones I had to replace were the front, rear and an inoperable one forward of the door which were all flat panes. I actually had two different glass suppliers I used for both our trailers. So yes, just order from a local glass shop. I think it is important for safety and durability to replace any flat pane with tempered on any year model.

Time4fun 01-19-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba L (Post 2451436)
As Hittenstiehl pointed out, the street and curb side operable windows of the 66, 67 and 68 years had the chemical treated curved windows. The ones I had to replace were the front, rear and an inoperable one forward of the door which were all flat panes. I actually had two different glass suppliers I used for both our trailers. So yes, just order from a local glass shop. I think it is important for safety and durability to replace any flat pane with tempered on any year model.

Bubba, Copy that! Im really starting to figure out the little differences in these trailer years. But, i figured id asked the forum so i can avoid issues down the road. Again, thanks for your help. I dont know why, but the forum feels like a group of long lost friends. So, thank you. T